same old story...can't decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obeymywife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am torn between to great programs. It's basically coming down to little things to help me decide. Any input to tip the scale in either direction would help. Wake Forest or Vanderbilt?

Members don't see this ad.

obeymywife said:
I am torn between to great programs. It's basically coming down to little things to help me decide. Any input to tip the scale in either direction would help. Wake Forest or Vanderbilt?

I think both are great programs. Where do you want to live?? I think Nashville is a great city. Winston Salem is a little isolated for me. Nashville has pro sports and an awesome night life. Cost of living is reasonable but if that is extremely important to you then Winston is a better choice. Both are very family friendly cities. Academically, I think Wake probably has a better rep among academic faculty but I don't think Vanderbilt is too far behind. In the private practice world I don't think there is much of a difference. What are your concerns with each program?? Maybe we can help there. What does your gut say??

I think that Wake Forest has the edge when it comes to reputation in the anesthesia world. I liked both programs when I interviewed at each. I think you would get great training at either program. I think that the biggest difference is location. W-S seems pretty slow whereas Nashville seems like a really cool place to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call me crazy, but I think I would like to pursue a career in Academics, at least right now. What I want is a program that would give me the best opportunities and flexibility in where I end up for a career. Alot of people in academics seem to come from big name big rep. places. With city and social life aside, I was curious about other peoples opinions about wich program is "better". Thanks for any help.

If you are considering academics then you will probably want to consider a fellowship. Most academic faculty are fellowship trained and most academic programs are looking for faculty who are fellowship trained. I know it's a long way off but you may want to look at the strengths of their fellowships if you would like to stay in one location. If critical care is you interest I would say Vanderbilt definately. I am not sure who is better for hearts or neuro. OB i think is a toss up. Wake for pain. Both are great programs. Go with your gut and where you will be happy. I think both will land you academic spots at great programs.

I too interviewed at both programs and Wake is definitely higher on my list. I think that Winston-Salem gets a bad rap... however, there are not many southern locations that compare to Nashville.

Vanderbilt had two big weaknesses in my book: 1. a program director who doesn't know whether he will still be program director next year (Higgins) and 2. a "behavioral" interview method that does nothing to truly educate the decision makers whether or not you'd be a good fit for their department.

Ok, and then there is #3... they have lost multiple residents over the past couple of years. They do a good job of trying to tell you that these residents were total jerks who would've complained in Heaven, but... is that the whole story????

I'd go Wake.

Thanks for the help. I had know idea making a ROL would be so hard.

Thanks for the help. This truly is a hard process.

I was turned off by the behavioral interview at Vanderbilt as well. I don't know too much about residents leaving Vandy, they all seemed pretty "happy" to me. Wake is very strong in hearts and neuro. To my knowledge, gas runs the neuro ICU. I agree, W-S gets a bad rap. Not so much that it is a bad place, just not for everyone.

Induc(junc)tion said:
Whats the behavioral interview?

As a future Vandy resident, Ill tell you that I did not enjoy the behavioral interview model, but its what they use...they ask questions such as "what was the biggest argument you got in" or something like that, follow it up with "how did that make you feel", and continue with specifics that you brought up. It is very psychoanalytical and there is some research out there that paints it in a favorable light. It can be uncomfortable for the interviewee however.

Also, one thing I learned on the trail is that nearly every PD is in flux. Several programs had no chair or had chairs who were leaving. Dr. Higgins is awesome and I fully expect him to have the 'interim' removed from his title. He seems very resident-supportive and while I obviously didnt meet any of the residents who left, every one I did meet was impressive and happy. I found everything to my liking and actually cancelled my Wake interview.

Im also interested in academics and felt like Vandy and JHU would provide me the best fellowship opportunities and academic preparation. Just my personal view for anyone looking at Vandy for next year.

Hey, I'm "just a nurse"/ and RN who is considering CRNA school,
which is why I am lurking here.
For what it's worth, I worked in the PICU at Wake for 4 years.
The pediatric intensivists and anesthesiologists are great teachers
and physicians. Dr. Joe Tobin, Dr. Lauren Bauman to name a few.
Some of THE best RNs I've ever worked with now work in the
pediatric PACU. I've worked at 3 teaching hospitals (Loyola-Chicago,
RUSH, and Wake) in the past 10 years ( my DH is a doc and so we did
the moves for res. and fellowship) and Wake
is the best facility I've worked at both in terms of physicians and nurses.
Don't know a thing about V-bilt.

W-S is small. If you're NOT single, though, it doesn't matter
so much, cause you hang out with your friends and your spouse.

Good luck!