Same question as everyone else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom10

D.O.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Indiana resident applying to IU, Louisville, Cincy, and Southern Illinois (more suggestions appreciated). Also applying DO but that is outside of this forum's concern. 3.5 cumulative (ouch, I know) with 100+ volunteer hours at a children's hospital in the post-op heart center. 300+ volunteer hours with a local high school ministry. Letters of rec coming from a science teacher I am still close with even though I had him 2 years ago (PhD), the director of the ministry I volunteered in (JD), and a family friend is a family practitioner (MD). I will admit, I am not very close to the MD as he doesn't work very close anymore.

My MCAT is June 17. I am averaging a 10 on verbal, 8 on physical sciences and 8 on biological sciences. I have also just opened up examkrackers and play to follow through on this. I believe my MCAT can improve quite well in the 11 weeks I have left.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Indiana resident applying to IU, Louisville, Cincy, and Southern Illinois (more suggestions appreciated). Also applying DO but that is outside of this forum's concern. 3.5 cumulative (ouch, I know) with 100+ volunteer hours at a children's hospital in the post-op heart center. 300+ volunteer hours with a local high school ministry. Letters of rec coming from a science teacher I am still close with even though I had him 2 years ago (PhD), the director of the ministry I volunteered in (JD), and a family friend is a family practitioner (MD). I will admit, I am not very close to the MD as he doesn't work very close anymore.

My MCAT is June 17. I am averaging a 10 on verbal, 8 on physical sciences and 8 on biological sciences. I have also just opened up examkrackers and play to follow through on this. I believe my MCAT can improve quite well in the 11 weeks I have left.

Thoughts?

Siu only takes ill residents

Members don't see this ad :)
Without an idea of how you'll score on the MCAT, it's hard to give you suggestions for schools you'd be compeititve at. I'd aim for a 31-32 for allo schools, though. Any leadership, teaching, physician shadowing, employment, sports, hobbies, artistic endeavors? Any or all of these would give strength to your AMCAS application.

Typically, for allopathic med schools one needs two LORs from science teachers and one from nonscience. Additional letters that some schools like to see are employment, volunteer coordinator, and physician.

You could replace SIU with Toledo.

Without an idea of how you'll score on the MCAT, it's hard to give you suggestions for schools you'd be compeititve at. I'd aim for a 31-32 for allo schools, though. Any leadership, teaching, physician shadowing, employment, sports, hobbies, artistic endeavors? Any or all of these would give strength to your AMCAS application.

Typically, for allopathic med schools one needs two LORs from science teachers and one from nonscience. Additional letters that some schools like to see are employment, volunteer coordinator, and physician.

You could replace SIU with Toledo.

I was one of 7 leaders that saw over 150 high school students. I had various responsibilities that required a large amount of time. I forgot to mention I have mentored general chemistry for a year and a half. This mentoring assigned me ~10 students semester in which they had to come to my class and figure out some very challenging problems I came up with. I would facilitate group work by various means eg games, puzzles, and other collaborative learning techniques.

As for hobbies or sports?...Well I'm in the gym a lot and planned on trying to break the state record for deadlift for my weight class but I have a nagging injury that I reaggreavated last week. Don't know if that counts haha.

I'm aware of the non-science teacher LOR. Unfortunately, I didn't decide I wanted to go to medical school until about last year. The hard part about that is that the non-science classes are just so easy I don't ever need to speak with the teacher. Any tips for that? I do have LORs from a physician and a volunteer coordinator so that helps I guess.

I will look into Toledo. Thanks a lot. Btw, I'm definitely aiming for a 35 on the mcat. 11 weeks to raise 9 points? Psh, can't be that hard :D.

I will look into Toledo. Thanks a lot. Btw, I'm definitely aiming for a 35 on the mcat. 11 weeks to raise 9 points? Psh, can't be that hard :D.[/QUOTE]

hahaha, good luck with this. seriously:D