Same school has MD and DO program... Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lugh

Professional Worrier
Reaction score
NSU in Florida has both a DO and MD program.

Why would a school do this? Does anyone have any inside information about this. AND the MD school is new. Are there any other schools that have done this? This seems fishy to me. Just want other perspectives.

Members don't see this ad.

NSU in Florida has both a DO and MD program.

Why would a school do this? Does anyone have any inside information about this. AND the MD school is new. Are there any other schools that have done this? This seems fishy to me. Just want other perspectives.
Money

Reactions: 17 users
Money

I would be wary of most schools that offer both except for Michigan State (since the campus is large and resources are abundant)

Most of the schools that offer both degrees expand too quickly, have heaps of allied health professions programs; and don’t have enough resources for everybody.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rowan has both, but im pretty sure they are basically completely separate schools, with Rowans name on them

Reactions: 1 users
every non state medical school exists in some shape or form for money. Arguably the state schools exist for the same reasons just not as direct (grants/research funding etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Touro.NY owns NYMC
Interesting. TIL^

Also, to OP: you didn't think hospital admin$ were the only admin$ doing this, did you?
Mr Krabs Money GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Money and prestige

MSU has an MD and DO Program.

Touro.NY owns NYMC
Do touro or NYMC students get preferences at the hospital (assuming NYMC has an affiliated hospital)? I always thought that one of the advantages to going MD was clinical training site accessibility but having 400+ students rotate seems like it would be less than ideal

Do touro or NYMC students get preferences at the hospital (assuming NYMC has an affiliated hospital)? I always thought that one of the advantages to going MD was clinical training site accessibility but having 400+ students rotate seems like it would be less than ideal
Don't know those details

They had a DO school for many years. Just opened up a MD program as their school is expanding. Why? Because it gives their school more notoriety/credibility to have more graduate degree's.

I think Touro's focus is more training URM and culturally competent physicians whereas NYMC prides itself on its research. Touro from what I could gleam from my visit is not super research heavy and even don't encourage for first year's (don't know if that's typical or not)

• Haha
I think Touro's focus is more training URM and culturally competent physicians whereas NYMC prides itself on its research. Touro from what I could gleam from my visit is not super research heavy and even don't encourage for first year's (don't know if that's typical or not)
From people I know in my own discipline, Ironically, when Touro took over NYMC, researcher bailed like passengers on the Titanic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Money and prestige

MSU has an MD and DO Program.

Touro.NY owns NYMC
MSU’s MD and DO programs are in completely different cities about 1.5 hours apart. Their sharing of clinical resources and rotations is limited as far as I know.

Rowan has both, but im pretty sure they are basically completely separate schools, with Rowans name on them
Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine and Cooper Medical School at Rowan. Run completely separate.

MSU’s MD and DO programs are in completely different cities about 1.5 hours apart. Their sharing of clinical resources and rotations is limited as far as I know.
MD/DO programs are in different and same cities. 50 MD kids choose to be in EL. hence the overlap. Also, clinical rotation sites can be shared. My peds, IM, surg, psych rotations were with ppl from both schools. The MSU campus system is huge and can accommodate the 600 MD/DO students unlike the other schools mentioned in this thread

Money… I’m at NSU DO and I can tell you as an insider that the MD students are at a disadvantage here… their program is new, not as established or connected to the community, and they are competing with the DO program for resources/professors etc.

The relationship between Touro and NYMC is basically just financial. NYMC is older than the Touro University system and runs basically the same as it before Touro bought it. NYMC and Touro-Middletown students don't compete for anything because they are completely different schools - they are just owned by the Touro University System. The only real Touro presence at NYMC is the Touro dental school, which has its own building on NYMC campus, and the special focus on Jewish students and organization (observation for Jewish holidays, many organizations for Jewish students, kosher cafe, etc).

NYMC has its own affiliated sites (NYMC is ON Westchester Medical Center campus. Also sites such as Metropolitan, Lincoln, Lenox Hill, MidHudson Region, etc); it does NOT share these with Touro-Middletown as it is a completely different school.

Also, I will say that as students we have abundant research opportunities at NYMC and WMC - definitely more than enough to go around as WMC has many, many subspecialties. Everyone I know is doing some type of research and many people stay at NYMC/WMC to do it.

The relationship between Touro and NYMC is basically just financial. NYMC is older than the Touro University system and runs basically the same as it before Touro bought it. NYMC and Touro-Middletown students don't compete for anything because they are completely different schools - they are just owned by the Touro University System. The only real Touro presence at NYMC is the Touro dental school, which has its own building on NYMC campus, and the special focus on Jewish students and organization (observation for Jewish holidays, many organizations for Jewish students, kosher cafe, etc).

NYMC has its own affiliated sites (NYMC is ON Westchester Medical Center campus. Also sites such as Metropolitan, Lincoln, Lenox Hill, MidHudson Region, etc); it does NOT share these with Touro-Middletown as it is a completely different school.

Also, I will say that as students we have abundant research opportunities at NYMC and WMC - definitely more than enough to go around as WMC has many, many subspecialties. Everyone I know is doing some type of research and many people stay at NYMC/WMC to do it.
this is very encouraging to hear.

I think having an MD program adds prestige to the school

MD/DO programs are in different and same cities. 50 MD kids choose to be in EL. hence the overlap. Also, clinical rotation sites can be shared. My peds, IM, surg, psych rotations were with ppl from both schools. The MSU campus system is huge and can accommodate the 600 MD/DO students unlike the other schools mentioned in this thread
My post wasn’t supposed to be taken as a negative. Both MSU schools are great!

Virginia Tech has had Carilion (MD) and VCOM (DO) for quite a while.

Quick answer: money and (don't forget) politics.
If I recall correctly, NJ tossing Rowan's name on 2 medical schools was very political.

Money… I’m at NSU DO and I can tell you as an insider that the MD students are at a disadvantage here… their program is new, not as established or connected to the community, and they are competing with the DO program for resources/professors etc.
Maybe for rotations but not residency applications. All USMD are ahead. And residency applications are the only things that matter

There is more to this answer than meets the eye. I will explain, as an alum of this school.

Nj used to have only 1 health related university called University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ. It was a huuuuuuuuge system with 3 medical schools (NJMS in Newark, RWJMS in New Brunswick, and SOM in Stratford). Well they also had an annual budget of >$1 Billion. For 10 years, the system was under scrutiny due to Medicare fraud by a bunch of cardiologists at University Hospital in Newark, NJ.

It was then decided by the state that the school was too big and broke it up. The two MD schools went to Rutgers University (by history NJMS used to be part of Seton Hall, and RWJ was Rutgers Medical School). Due to politics, SOM was given to Rowan University (while I was at this school our student government was fighting to stay with our sister school and be part of Rutgers Camden). But, by this time Cooper Medical School was opened and was getting its first class and the powers that be decided that nope, the democratic boss in South Jersey does not want competition, so SOM is now part of Rowan.

They are two independent schools with no sharing of faculty or facilities. The Kennedy health system, which was the hospital system which was where SOM did all of its rotations was bought by Jefferson with the stipulation that nothing changes with the medical students OR the residencies.

Everything in NJ is politics. So now you know…..the rest of the story.

Reactions: 4 users
There is more to this answer than meets the eye. I will explain, as an alum of this school.

Nj used to have only 1 health related university called University of Medicine and Dentistry of NJ. It was a huuuuuuuuge system with 3 medical schools (NJMS in Newark, RWJMS in New Brunswick, and SOM in Stratford). Well they also had an annual budget of >$1 Billion. For 10 years, the system was under scrutiny due to Medicare fraud by a bunch of cardiologists at University Hospital in Newark, NJ.

It was then decided by the state that the school was too big and broke it up. The two MD schools went to Rutgers University (by history NJMS used to be part of Seton Hall, and RWJ was Rutgers Medical School). Due to politics, SOM was given to Rowan University (while I was at this school our student government was fighting to stay with our sister school and be part of Rutgers Camden). But, by this time Cooper Medical School was opened and was getting its first class and the powers that be decided that nope, the democratic boss in South Jersey does not want competition, so SOM is now part of Rowan.

They are two independent schools with no sharing of faculty or facilities. The Kennedy health system, which was the hospital system which was where SOM did all of its rotations was bought by Jefferson with the stipulation that nothing changes with the medical students OR the residencies.

Everything in NJ is politics. So now you know…..the rest of the story.
Nothing like Jersey to turn even medical schools into a Sopranos script!