Samford or UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trailfunk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that some of you guys can offer a little advice. I've been accepted to both Samford and UF (jacksonville campus) and I'm not sure which school to attend. I've never done the distance learning thing, so that makes me a little nervous about UF, but then again the tuition is much less than Samford. I also have family in Birmingham and have lived in Birmingham before. My husband is going to stay at our home in Pensacola and I'm just going to get an apartment while I'm in school. Anybody have any good reasons for or against either school? Thanks so much for any feedback. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I went to UF at as an undergrad..so I love UF and thus the advice might be biased.....but....UF is a top 10 pharmacy school.. I have heead many good things about UF especially the campuses in Jacksonville and Orlando. I have heard these campus are better than the one at Gainesville because it is a more close kit campus about 50 students and there isn't that much compettition amongs students. I would def. if I had a choice go the chepaer campus. All things weighted I do not thing u can beat UF...

I never did the distance learning thing either and I was VERY VERY resistant, but since UF was my number one choice an only school I was willing to go too I reluctantly went. I've been at the Orlando campus and I've never once regretted it or looked back. I loved the experience very much. Now I'm on rotations and I miss all my school friends but it's great to see how the real world works. I think you should ultimately do what's best for you but please don't let the distance thing discourage you. Also last year the graduates from distance sites had higher NAPLEX scores than Gainesville students, I've also heard from preceptors that the distance campus students tend to be more independent. Good luck with your choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I am a 4th year at the St. Pete campus and I don't regret the distance thing. I find the distance campus groups to be closer knit although of course there will inevitably be cliques. In terms of GPA, all the campuses are pretty much equal. The funny thing is, I heard that the students in Gainesville don't attend live lecture anymore either. They watch the streaming video too. LOL.

So, obviously my advice is to go to UF. You will save some $$ on tuition as a FL resident and we are basically a top 10 school. Seriously, a solid reputation can't hurt.

HTH.

I noticed during this last year of school, some lectures have been scheduled at St Pete. The herbals lecture is tomorrow evening. Live for St Pete, but other campuses have to watch the video. The following day, the Geriatrics lecture is in St Pete.

Lectures are actually a small part of pharmacy school. Even with distance campuses, you're still on campus quite a bit. There are pharmacy clubs and lots of activities.

Birmingham is much prettier than Jacksonville. My husband was living and working in Birmingham when I decided to pursue pharmacy school. Do you think you would like the atmosphere better there? Is it worth the extra money for tuition?

Thanks for all the feedback!

For me, Jacksonville has alot of "new challenges" in addition to the biggie of just getting through pharm school. I would be 5 and 1/2 hours away from my husband (Birmingham is 4), 9 hours away from any other family, never lived there before and don't know anyone there. I've also never taken a distance learning class before and don't know if it's for me or not. I like asking questions and meeting with professors if I do have questions. I have friends and family in Birmingham. So, really it boils down to video lectures vs. live, the cost of tuition and being so far away. Even when I went off to school for undergrad at U of AL, I knew people there. Does anyone have any experience with going off to school and not knowing a soul?

I guess I'm just a little concerned about taking on the courseload as well as a brand new place with a brand new twist on learning the material.

Thanks for helping me sort this all out!! It's good to get other people's opinions. :)

If you want to go to a cheaper school than I would go with UF. Also, I know that I read that UF is in the top 10 of pharmacy schools in the nation. I do not believe that the distance learning sites offered by UF would affect your educational experiences in a negative manner because I have heard great things about all of the sites: great professors, good learning environment, etc. I hope that you are able to make a decision that you will be happy with. Best of luck.

You might want to factor in whether or not you plan on working in FL after you graduate. If you went out of state for school you may have to jump through a few extra hoops to get licensed in FL. Not sure about this though. It may make a difference in terms of networking too.

Hey why are you baggin on Gainesville campus :mad:

I'm just playing.. yea you can't go wrong with UF. Cheap tuition.. that's for sure.

I moved from the Pensacola area to the St Pete campus to attend UF, and I didn't know anyone when I moved here. It is hard sometimes not having family close by, but I talk on the phone A LOT which makes it easier. As long as you are willing to meet new people, you'll make friends and be fine. I do suggest joining some kind of club, because that helps too. 5 1/2 hours isn't a bad drive either for when you want to go back to Pensacola. I knew a guy in undegrad who attends the Gainesville campus, and his wife and kids live back in Pensacola. He just makes a lot of trips home to see them.

I don't really know anything about Samford, but UF is top notch. Like everyone else said, the distance sites become pretty close as a class and as a campus, and I gotta say it, but "It's great..to be..a Flor-ida Gator!!"