Samford University vs. University of Iowa (entering fall 2018)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmlife22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to multiple schools but these are my top two choices. I have no idea which one to accept and am just looking for a little input. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you like/dislike about each school?

IMO the two most important factors are NAPLEX pass rates and cost (not just tuition). In 10 minutes of googling I learned that Iowa has consistently higher pass rates and is cheaper if you have Iowa residency. Not sure how you can get Iowa residency if OOS, what the requirements are, but many schools allow you to apply for resident status after one year. I also searched for “median rent [city]” and found that cost of living is roughly equal in both cities, which tbh was surprising to me, but for a more accurate representation you’ll probably want to go more in-depth, which takes more than a 10 minute google search.

These pages are really good if you’re like me and like looking at and comparing numbers:
Also maybe take a glance through their school directory pages on PharmCAS, although it is mostly geared towards potential applicants rather than potential matriculates.

Good luck!