Sample Rejection Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boyan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just browsing SDN and I found something interesting from the pre-medical students forum. If you still don?t know what to write to the admission committee saying that you are not going to attend their institution here is a sample rough draft:

Originally posted by Adcadet
November 29, 2002
The Big University Medical Center
Office of Admissions
123 Main Street
City, State, 12345

Dear Office of Admissions,

Thank you for your interest in me as an applicant. I have now completed a thorough review your admissions material. I am sorry to inform you that I am unable to consider your school further for my undergraduate medical education. Please be assured that your institution has been given personal attention. Most of the schools I am considering this year are well-qualified and are likely to provide an excellent education, but with over 100 accredited allopathic medical schools I need to be extremely selective in the process. While I recognize that this decision may be disappointing, I wish to express my appreciation to you for considering me and this decision in no way reflects on your ability to educate physicians. I wish you the best in your educational pursuits.

I want to thank you, Big University, for your interest. I acknowledge and respect your accomplishments in the areas of medical education and research, and realize that my inability to attend your medical school is a loss for me. I extend my best wishes to you as you pursue your goals.
Sincerely,

Adcadet

Ad/lmao

Members don't see this ad.

Im gonna copy and paste this. I need to mail this out to all schools, except BU and NYU, before they have a chance to deny me.

Although a lot of schools last year sent me a letter asking me to simply check a box if I was no longer interested in their school.

Remember, our admissions game is quite different than the med students. They have rolling admissions and often get admitted in September or October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me, or does that letter seem awfully over-done? When dental schools send rejection letters out, one of their principle functions is to console the applicant so that they don't lose hope. I don't think you need to console the dental school for losing you as an applicant; they've got another 1,000 applicants that would kill for your spot. I think a simple "I have elected to attend Blank University and am withdrawing my application from consideration" should suffice. After all, the adcom is going to simply open your letter, realize you're withdrawing, erase your name from the class list, and move on to the next applicant. It's practically an assembly line. They have no emotional investment in losing you as an applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Revellian,
you missed the entire point. Have you even seen a rejection letter? probably not.

Revellian,

What rock did you just crawl out from under? Are you serious? Try to get out of the library from time to time in order to stay in touch with reality.

Originally posted by Comet208
Revellian,
you missed the entire point. Have you even seen a rejection letter? probably not.

I'm with Revellian...so I guess I missed the point as well :p

Reactions: 1 user
Oooooooh. It was a joke :) I get it now. I HAVE been in the library too much this quarter. Unfortunately my sense of humor has been replaced by biochem and histology. I'm hoping it hasn't left permanently and will come back during the Christmas break. Right now, it doesn't look good.

Originally posted by Revellian
Oooooooh. It was a joke :) I get it now. I HAVE been in the library too much this quarter. Unfortunately my sense of humor has been replaced by biochem and histology. I'm hoping it hasn't left permanently and will come back during the Christmas break. Right now, it doesn't look good.

:laugh: I feel your pain, even though i don't start dental school till next year. I have biochem, anatomy, and cell bio this semester and with interviews thrown in the mix, I'm fighting to keep on top of things.