San Diego State University Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeesicalTerrapee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Creating a thread for all applicants looking to apply to SDSU fall 2017. The application just opened last week and is separate from PTCAS. Anyone have advice to how professional the video submission should be?

Members don't see this ad.

Creating a thread for all applicants looking to apply to SDSU fall 2017. The application just opened last week and is separate from PTCAS. Anyone have advice to how professional the video submission should be?

Hey, I am also interested in knowing what direction people are going in for the SDSU video submission. Where else are you applying and mind sharing your stats? It is nice to meet fellow California applicants! SDSU is my top choice, so I'm freaking out.

Hey ya, just found this thread. I took a HUGE risk on my video. I did so because after only watching a few others on YouTube I was bored to death. Everyone had the exact same layout and monotone voice so I tried to be different. My only hope is that it wasn't too different. And I figure you have to take big risks to get those rewards. Anyways good luck to you all and do you know we might hear back?
Here's a link:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ya, just found this thread. I took a HUGE risk on my video. I did so because after only watching a few others on YouTube I was bored to death. Everyone had the exact same layout and monotone voice so I tried to be different. My only hope is that it wasn't too different. And I figure you have to take big risks to get those rewards. Anyways good luck to you all and do you know we might hear back?
Here's a link:

I would consider what I did somewhat of a risk, but yours is legendary! There is no way they can pass that up. I definitely tried to change up the setting and not have the same bland style like you said. Here is what I put together. (I have a fairly deep/monotone voice naturally so that couldn't really be helped haha). I have NO idea when we will hear back, but I hope soon. SDSU is my top!

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a link:

Glad I'm not competing with you!!! ha! This is awesome.

Has anyone heard back yet? From past acceptances I've seen, I think they will be sending out acceptances within he next two weeks!

Posts like these always surprise me. SDSU has specific criteria containing an asterisk implying that it's important. That criteria specified to make a video using a white or off white background. While these videos are creative, you both failed to follow the requested criteria. Programs likes these are finding every reason to throw a candidate out; they are very competitive. Yes, the format they request is boring, but that's what they want... It helps eliminate bias and somewhat puts everyone on an equal playing field. Don't be surprised if you both aren't accepted. Following directions is an important skill.

My advice: follow the directions precisely that any school specifies. Don't do what these two guys did and disregard the criteria.

Posts like these always surprise me. SDSU has specific criteria containing an asterisk implying that it's important. That criteria specified to make a video using a white or off white background. While these videos are creative, you both failed to follow the requested criteria. Programs likes these are finding every reason to throw a candidate out; they are very competitive. Yes, the format they request is boring, but that's what they want... It helps eliminate bias and somewhat puts everyone on an equal playing field. Don't be surprised if you both aren't accepted. Following directions is an important skill.

I disagree with you completely. I am currently a student at SDSU for my undergrad and have had many occasions to discuss directly with director of the DPT program about what they look for in applications. He obviously stated that they do not want to receive videos of applicants sitting inside their car filming with their cellphones, but was very open to creative ideas. They want people to be creative and be themselves while answering the question "Why SDSU?" I also know two current students who filmed their videos on the SDSU campus, not with a white background, and got into the program. The information on Decision Desk gives recommendations on how to provide a video that is professional, clear, and free from distractions for the admissions committees. However, Decision Desk is not created specifically for the PT program but rather many different master programs.

I personally really liked Jordans' editing in his video. I can see he really put in effort to come up with an idea and thought about what can set him, as an applicant, apart from other students. However, I would have suggested to shorted the intro because he does not address the question "Why SDSU?" until roughly 2:30 in his video.

Without an interview this video and more importantly the essays are what will set you apart from other applicants. I would recommend to applicants to make sure not to copy/paste their PTCAS essays for the SDSU application and make sure to add high school activities on the resume. The director made it very clear that their admissions committee is aware of what the PTCAS prompt is and they chose their programs prompts to deter from PTCAS. Also, adding your high school activities into the resume is easily missed in the requirements, but is very important. This was the first time I have added high school activities on a professional resume.

I heard from a little bird that admissions decisions may be a little later this month due to the quantity of applicants. Good luck applicants!

I disagree with you completely. I am currently a student at SDSU for my undergrad and have had many occasions to discuss directly with director of the DPT program about what they look for in applications. He obviously stated that they do not want to receive videos of applicants sitting inside their car filming with their cellphones, but was very open to creative ideas. They want people to be creative and be themselves while answering the question "Why SDSU?" I also know two current students who filmed their videos on the SDSU campus, not with a white background, and got into the program. The information on Decision Desk gives recommendations on how to provide a video that is professional, clear, and free from distractions for the admissions committees. However, Decision Desk is not created specifically for the PT program but rather many different master programs.

I personally really liked Jordans' editing in his video. I can see he really put in effort to come up with an idea and thought about what can set him, as an applicant, apart from other students. However, I would have suggested to shorted the intro because he does not address the question "Why SDSU?" until roughly 2:30 in his video.

Without an interview this video and more importantly the essays are what will set you apart from other applicants. I would recommend to applicants to make sure not to copy/paste their PTCAS essays for the SDSU application and make sure to add high school activities on the resume. The director made it very clear that their admissions committee is aware of what the PTCAS prompt is and they chose their programs prompts to deter from PTCAS. Also, adding your high school activities into the resume is easily missed in the requirements, but is very important. This was the first time I have added high school activities on a professional resume.

I heard from a little bird that admissions decisions may be a little later this month due to the quantity of applicants. Good luck applicants!

Fair enough. I still stand by my point, though. Often times, when students get creative with their videos, they add 'fluff'. Jordan's video contained a lot of fluff which in turn distracted and loses the viewer from the main question: 'Why SDSU?'. The video is only 3 minutes: a very small amount of time to sell yourself. I work with students to get them placed in top health care programs, and I always stress the importance of creativity through articulation and composure. It rarely fails.

Also, your example where two SDSU students filmed their videos on campus as a SDSU undergraduate is null and void. Most CSU's are bias and favor their undergraduates. They like to keep their students in-house. It doesn't surprise me those students got into their own CSU's graduate program especially when you look at the data out there for acceptance percentages.

That said, I like your advice in your third paragraph and highly recommend all candidates do this: use the video to highlight areas of your life that the application may not be able to address.

I guess I heard wrong about SDSU decisions. They are coming out now.

@muskasurfer I completely agree about the fluff, that is what I was trying to say about not getting to the point until 2+ mins into the video. I think your advice for creativity through articulation and composure is great advice for students. Additionally, CSU schools need CA students because of instate funding so your comment on acceptance percentages makes sense.

Just got a rejection email from them, kind of surprised I didnt make the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone in this thread.

My stats:
UCSD
3.6 overall
3.68 prereq
157/159/5.0
600 inpatient as a PT aide, 100 outpatient hours.
LOR: 2 PT , 1 prof

Also got a rejection. :(
Overall GPA: 3.86
Pre-Req GPA: 3.8
GRE: 151Q, 153V, 5.0AW
Hours: 500 outpatient hours and 100 pediatric hours

Unfortunately one of my references really wanted me to go to another school I was accepted to and decided not to submit his LOR. -_-

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected, although i do realize my qualifications were subpar, i wanted to give this cycle a shot anyway.
Cum GPA: 3.56
Pre-req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 151Q, 149V, 4.0AW
Hours: +500 outpatient, 50 inpatient

SDSU Doctor of Physical Therapy Program

"Admission Recommendation- Acceptance!

Dear Tyler,

Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that the Doctor of Physical Therapy program faculty has officially recommended you for admittance to our program at San Diego State University (SDSU), an Accredited Doctor of Physical Therapy Program by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. Please open the attachment for more information."

Well, white background or not I just got accepted to SDSU, so hooray for not following directions?

Reactions: 1 users

Dear Tyler,

Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that the Doctor of Physical Therapy program faculty has officially recommended you for admittance to our program at San Diego State University (SDSU), an Accredited Doctor of Physical Therapy Program by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. Please open the attachment for more information."

Well, white background or not I just got accepted to SDSU, so hooray for not following directions?

Congrats! My rant was mostly related to the other video. Fortunately, your video didn't distract the viewer from answering the main question of 'Why SDSU?".

Unfortunately one of my references really wanted me to go to another school I was accepted to and decided not to submit his LOR. -_-

Did you only submits 2 LOR then? Because your stats are almost perfect!!

Dear Tyler,

Congrats On SDSU!! Would you mind posting your stats?

Undergrad: University of Denver
Major: Biological Sciences (cum laude)

PTCAS Cumulative GPA: 3.79
(Self-reported) Pre-req GPA: 3.75
Last 60 Semester Credits: 3.84
GRE: 161V, 152Q, 5.0W
Letters of Recommendation: (3 total): Biology professor, 2 Physical Therapists

Extra Curricular: Vice president/ team captain of men's club ice hockey, American Heart Association CPR/AED certified, 60 hours of research in human dynamics lab/center for orthopedic biomechanics, intramural sports referee and adult hockey scorekeeper at DU, completion of an EMT-basic training program, iLEAD international leadership while studying abroad in Australia, cooking matters classroom assistant, middle school science fair judge.

Observation hours: 30 in Craig Hospitals inpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 76 in Craig Hospitals outpatient TBI/spinal cord injury floor, 24 at Porter Adventist acute care hospital, 13 at Swedish Medical Center acute care hospital, 30 at Seaport 17th skilled nursing facility, 50 at Forsters PT outpatient sports/orthopedic.

= 97 inpatient, 126 outpatient = 223 total hours

I've been working as an aide at an outpatient facility since September, so have 400+ more outpatient hours since submitting to PTCAS

Applied: California State University-Northridge, Mount St. Mary's, University of San Francisco/San Francisco State University, Pacific University, San Diego State University

Interviews: UCSF/SFSU, Pacific University

Accepted: San Diego State University (2/2)

Rejected: UCSF/SFSU (1/30)

Dear Tyler,

Congrats Tyler! I also got accepted, but I will be deferring my spot. Can't have too many Tyler's lol jk.

Congrats Tyler! I also got accepted, but I will be deferring my spot. Can't have too many Tyler's lol jk.

Yea, I think they have a strict quota for that kind of thing haha. Wait, where are you going instead? Also, how have you liked SDSU as an undergrad? Is the area nice? Go to any football games?Etc.
I'm from Santa Monica but think SDSU is my top choice because it is the lowest DPT tuition in California if I am not mistaken.

That's pretty weird.... and messed up?!! But I think you're gonna get into CSUN soon too :)

Yea, I think they have a strict quota for that kind of thing haha. Wait, where are you going instead? Also, how have you liked SDSU as an undergrad? Is the area nice? Go to any football games?Etc.
I'm from Santa Monica but think SDSU is my top choice because it is the lowest DPT tuition in California if I am not mistaken.
I hope they did not admit too many! lol I am going to UCSF/SFSU it has been my number 1 choice since before I applied to schools. I still cannot believe I got in.

SDSU has been great! I am a transfer student so I have been on campus for 2 years, but I have lived in San Diego for 5-6 years now. the community is great. Being an active individual the campus feels small to me, but it is nice and easy to navigate to. I have been to football, basketball, and baseball games which tickets are free for students. I would say that baseball is the least popular of the 3. The football games are at Qualcom stadium, where the chargers USED to play (lol), and they are a lot of fun. The most popular by far is the basketball, I have only been able to get a ticket once because they give out the free tickets so fast and I am always in class when they become available. Overall, SDSU is very spirited for their sports which is fun. I worked as an IM sports official and really loved the environment and atmosphere of the students. The DPT program usually has a flag football, volleyball, and basketball team; however, they miss a lot of games because of the rigor of the program.

The one thing I hate about SDSU is the food options, everything is bad for you and expensive. I tend to meal prep a lot so that I avoid eating on campus. That being said Chipotle, and Olive Oil Cafe (in west commons) are great options.

I would have been happy staying at SDSU for another 3 years, but I am excited for a change. My girlfriend is at UC Berkeley, I enjoy the Bay area, and I really felt at home during the interview weekend. They are also working on some research projects I am interested in and will be able to shadow while I am there. Although it will be expensive I think going to my dream school is worth the extra money.

SDSU has plenty of benefits including the cost, amazing faculty, research, and the area is beautiful but not as expensive as Nor Cal. Physiology is going to be amazing (Dr. Buono is the best professor I have ever had!). You are really going to love it and I know a lot of people accepted, and currently in the program who say nothing but amazing things about their program! Congrats again!

Last edited:
I hope they did not admit too many! lol I am going to UCSF/SFSU it has been my number 1 choice since before I applied to schools. I still cannot believe I got in.

SDSU has been great! I am a transfer student so I have been on campus for 2 years, but I have lived in San Diego for 5-6 years now. the community is great. Being an active individual the campus feels small to me, but it is nice and easy to navigate to. I have been to football, basketball, and baseball games which tickets are free for students. I would say that baseball is the least popular of the 3. The football games are at Qualcom stadium, where the chargers USED to play (lol), and they are a lot of fun. The most popular by far is the basketball, I have only been able to get a ticket once because they give out the free tickets so fast and I am always in class when they become available. Overall, SDSU is very spirited for their sports which is fun. I worked as an IM sports official and really loved the environment and atmosphere of the students. The DPT program usually has a flag football, volleyball, and basketball team; however, they miss a lot of games because of the rigor of the program.

The one thing I hate about SDSU is the food options, everything is bad for you and expensive. I tend to meal prep a lot so that I avoid eating on campus. That being said Chipotle, and Olive Oil Cafe (in west commons) are great options.

I would have been happy staying at SDSU for another 3 years, but I am excited for a change. My girlfriend is at UC Berkeley, I enjoy the Bay area, and I really felt at home during the interview weekend. They are also working on some research projects I am interested in and will be able to shadow while I am there. Although it will be expensive I think going to my dream school is worth the extra money.

SDSU has plenty of benefits including the cost, amazing faculty, research, and the area is beautiful but not as expensive as Nor Cal. Physiology is going to be amazing (Dr. Buono is the best professor I have ever had!). You are really going to love it and I know a lot of people accepted, and currently in the program who say nothing but amazing things about their program! Congrats again!

That was everything I wanted to know and more! Thanks soooo much. I hope you enjoy the scenery out in San Francisco. Honestly their 13th floor Anatomy Lab was one of the coolest things I have seen. Best of luck in their program!

That was everything I wanted to know and more! Thanks soooo much. I hope you enjoy the scenery out in San Francisco. Honestly their 13th floor Anatomy Lab was one of the coolest things I have seen. Best of luck in their program!
Good luck to you too! If you have any other questions PM me!

Last edited:
Hey ya, it's great to see that our videos inspired some good dialogue. I definitely see both points, especially about the fluff. Albeit, I got into the program fluff and all! And at least I portrayed my true self. So for those of you out there who will be applying, make sure you stay true and do what inspires you because it is well worth the risks.

Tyler, I have interviews with Fresno and Sac tomorrow so if those don't work out I'll be seeing you, my friend.

Did you only submits 2 LOR then? Because your stats are almost perfect!!

Yes I did only have 2 LOR, even though I sent it to him several times. :/ I asked him about it after and he said that he really wanted me to go the program I was accepted at. He was a former professor at that school and felt that it was "a better program". I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Hey ya, it's great to see that our videos inspired some good dialogue. I definitely see both points, especially about the fluff. Albeit, I got into the program fluff and all! And at least I portrayed my true self. So for those of you out there who will be applying, make sure you stay true and do what inspires you because it is well worth the risks.

Tyler, I have interviews with Fresno and Sac tomorrow so if those don't work out I'll be seeing you, my friend.

Congrats on SDSU. Your video was definitely different from the typical submissions. Can you share your stats? And good luck with your interviews. I'm sure you will get in!

Yes I did only have 2 LOR, even though I sent it to him several times. :/ I asked him about it after and he said that he really wanted me to go the program I was accepted at. He was a former professor at that school and felt that it was "a better program". I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Well that isn't very nice of him. Well I'm sure you will get into more programs because you have really good stats. Don't lose hope!!

Dear Tyler,

Congrats man!!

I have a question: are you an OOS applicant? Or do you live in California? I ask because I know that they give preference to in-state applicants.

From Santa Monica, CA (2 hours north of SD) so a CA resident. Yes, I am sure that really helped me!

Here's a link:

It was nice meeting you at the sac state interview! Hope you get in!

Thanks, brother man. It was great to meet you too. I'm sure you're going to get into a great program and I wish the best for you!

Last edited:
Congrats on SDSU. Your video was definitely different from the typical submissions. Can you share your stats? And good luck with your interviews. I'm sure you will get in!

(SDSU) Pre req GPA: 3.66
(PTCAS)Cum GPA: 3.61
GRE: Verbal:153, Quant:148 Writing:4.5

4000+hours of out-patient. 40+ in patient

I suppose it's not all about the numbers for this particular program. So for those who don't have a 4.0, don't be deterred, just make sure you challenge yourself with as many experiences you can get your hands on because that can tell them a lot more about yourself than a number can.