San Francisco You've Got Me--UCSF post Secondary 2008

Started by Ariodant
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ariodant

Fiat Lux
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
San Francisco (You've Got Me) by Village People (1977)

An excerpt of the lyrics:

San Francisco
City by the Bay, yeah
Oh you've got me
San Francisco
Take me to the water

Got me, got me, got me baby
Say you got me, love ya love you so, well
Here's what I want you to do, TAKE ME
TAKE ME BABY, SHOW ME THE WAY
TAKE ME... TAKE ME

😀Thought that would be an appropriate representation of the sentiments of people that will be posting here.

------------------------Some Useful Info--------------------------
Status page: it will NOT show changes post-interview. Your interview date will be the last update on your status page. (question courtesy inkare)

According to Dean Wofsy, all HP people who haven't received a decision will be put on the alternate list. Based on the records of the past two years, about 50% will be offered a position. The list is not ranked, but after May 15, they will look at the class they have by that point, and waitlist decisions will be made based on personal strengths and how they will enhance the diversity and educational experience of the class further. Most of the movements will happen before July. About LOIs, he said the committee would "like to see people's continuous interest". (info courtesy myself)


The last batch of decisions have been sent, postmarked April 28. (info courtesy...many!)

Acceptance comes in BIG 8X11 UCSF watermarked envolopes, sent First Class. (info courtesy HeartInSF and, ahum, myself)


According to Dean Wofsy, whom we all love, getting the interview from UCSF is the hardest part, and if the 500 people who do get invited for interview, declined their interview, the next 500 applicants would look extremely similar. Adcoms do not give numbers to the mcat score, EC's , GPA and add them up. Instead, 18 people will read each applicants entire application, along with the report from the interviewers, and answer 1 question: "how much do you want this person to attend UCSF?" Each person gives it a number from 1 to 10, then they put people in the ranked list. But its not over yet. The committee meets and your interviewers have to be there, and they discuss your application. For instance, they say that the bottom 5 of the list are not going to make it if no one stands up for them, and at this point, your interviewer will comments on your application, maybe say "I though this applicant was terrific, and I don't know why he/she is on the bottom of the list ... but for the most part they will be discussing the people in the middle. At the end they will ask the question one more time: "how much do you want this applicant to come to UCSF?" and everyone votes again. But your interviewers are very important because they are the ones who will push for your acceptance (or maybe not, if they didn't like you). (info courtesy inkare)





More info will be added as they surface. For now, just have fun!
 
Ok, let's get started on making this thread reach 1000 posts as well!

:luck: to those still waiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Excellent summary, Ariodant.

Here's wishing :luck: to all of us... and loads of patience, too!
 
I have been reading these UCSF threads for a long time and thought I would jump in.

I have the recent wait until April letter some of you just got in the mail and have decided it is actually a good thing. May 15 is the date where we can only hold one acceptance, but UCSF is getting back to us before then and before those already accepted before us might turn them down. So this is clearly one up on a wait list.

I wonder when UCSF says it sends out roughly acceptances letters to 250 of the 500 interviewed students, how many get a straight out acceptance, how many with the April letter, and how many with the wait list? Is there anyway to find this out without harassing the office. I am pretty sure they would not even be at liberty to answer this anyway =)
 
I have been reading these UCSF threads for a long time and thought I would jump in.

I have the recent wait until April letter some of you just got in the mail and have decided it is actually a good thing. May 15 is the date where we can only hold one acceptance, but UCSF is getting back to us before then and before those already accepted before us might turn them down. So this is clearly one up on a wait list.

I wonder when UCSF says it sends out roughly acceptances letters to 250 of the 500 interviewed students, how many get a straight out acceptance, how many with the April letter, and how many with the wait list? Is there anyway to find this out without harassing the office. I am pretty sure they would not even be at liberty to answer this anyway =)

It is my understanding that nobody has been waitlisted at UCSF as of yet. The decisions up until this point were either "accept, reject, or wait until April". Waitlisting will likely be a decision that they'll give out in April, once the class is full. This letter is basically just saying, "We want to see how you stack up against the people we haven't interviewed. If you stack up well, you'll be accepted... if not, then you'll be waitlisted or rejected."

That's my take on it, anyway. I'm looking forward to April!
 
I guess some acceptances were mailed today. Good luck to the December interviewees (and all others still waiting)!!! 🙂:luck::luck:
 
I have been reading these UCSF threads for a long time and thought I would jump in.

I have the recent wait until April letter some of you just got in the mail and have decided it is actually a good thing. May 15 is the date where we can only hold one acceptance, but UCSF is getting back to us before then and before those already accepted before us might turn them down. So this is clearly one up on a wait list.

I wonder when UCSF says it sends out roughly acceptances letters to 250 of the 500 interviewed students, how many get a straight out acceptance, how many with the April letter, and how many with the wait list? Is there anyway to find this out without harassing the office. I am pretty sure they would not even be at liberty to answer this anyway =)


When I interviewed at UCSF, Dean Wofsy said that the 250 includes all the people who were eventually accepted, outright, off wait/hold-list, etc. If I am remembering correctly, he said that about 1/3 will be accepted outright, 1/3 will be rejected, and 1/3 will get that April letter. He also said that, despite what some people think, UCSF does not have a waitlist, ie., they do not have a ranked list from which to pull ppl later. It sort of sounds like the April letter may be similar to a waitlist, but I am not sure. Either way, to answer your question, 1/3 accepted outright, 1/3 rejected outright, 1/3 get the hold letter (and then i assume 1/2 will be eventually accepted, and 1/2 eventually rejected). Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this was my take.

Hope that helps!

On that note, any guesses on when the people who interviewed after the feb meeting will start to hear decisions?? I assume we can't gauge our wait time based on the ppl who interviewd nov-dec, because of the holidays, etc, and the fact that they are mtg twice in March. So maybe we could hear sooner than 16 weeks?!
 
seeing the stats of the ppl they put on the high priority list makes me feel pretty hopeless. you all have very impressve applications...i'd be very surprised if they didn't accept you in april.
 
On that note, any guesses on when the people who interviewed after the feb meeting will start to hear decisions?? I assume we can't gauge our wait time based on the ppl who interviewd nov-dec, because of the holidays, etc, and the fact that they are mtg twice in March. So maybe we could hear sooner than 16 weeks?!

I think a lot of that depends on when your interviewers are available to meet during their committees. I interviewed 16 weeks ago, but I was told on the interview day that I should hear in January (though I didnt) and most likely because my interviewers were busy. How long you have to wait is all up for grabs, but I really do hope that none of you have to wait as long as I do. (Also hope that I will get mail today or tomorrow...)
 
omg. i just called the admissions office and they double-checked my address to make sure it was accurate, and on that status site, they said that a letter has still not been sent out to me which means that i still have not been reviewed. She then told me that i might expect something in mid march, if not then, early april. this means that i will have to wait even longer...20 weeks (5 months)? possibly 6 months? so frustrating!
 
omg. i just called the admissions office and they double-checked my address to make sure it was accurate, and on that status site, they said that a letter has still not been sent out to me which means that i still have not been reviewed. She then told me that i might expect something in mid march, if not then, early april. this means that i will have to wait even longer...20 weeks (5 months)? possibly 6 months? so frustrating!

Deep breaths! It might not be as bad as you think! They might not have sent the letters yet today, as it's not the end of business. And updating the status site might not be their top priority. And the person who answered might not have known about the batch of letters and so wouldn't have told you any of this!

Alternatively, though I hate to suggest it, you might be getting a high priority letter (which they apparently send out in batches separate from the acceptances) so it wouldn't be reflected yet.

Anyway, no need to despair. No news is good news! (Though as the other long-term resident of Purgatory on this thread, I realize that begins to ring a little hollow...)
 
The happy letter came today!!!!!

It came in a big (8x11) envelope, postmarked Feb. 22 (yesterday). I live in the Bay Area, and I interviewed 11/29.

I am beyond excited!!! 100% sure I'm going here. 🙂

Good luck to all who are waiting!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The happy letter came today!!!!!

It came in a big (8x11) envelope, postmarked Feb. 22 (yesterday). I live in the Bay Area, and I interviewed 11/29.

I am beyond excited!!! 100% sure I'm going here. 🙂

Good luck to all who are waiting!!!
How exciting! Congratulations! Have a great time in SF, and I hope I'll be able to join you.
 
OMG, a thread about San Francisco that references the village people 😀



... ... ... ... don't get mad, I didn't say it!

Anyway, good luck, I am sure you are all superstudents to even be applying to UCSF. I probably wouldn't even get into UCSF for PA school.
 
The happy letter came today!!!!!

It came in a big (8x11) envelope, postmarked Feb. 22 (yesterday). I live in the Bay Area, and I interviewed 11/29.

I am beyond excited!!! 100% sure I'm going here. 🙂

Good luck to all who are waiting!!!

Many many congratulations! Thanks for sharing the postmark info and I hope you enjoy the fruits of your long wait!
 
I was wondering if anyone knows what the non-URM average MCAT is for UCSF ? Is it pretty much the same as the overall average?
 
The happy letter came today!!!!!

It came in a big (8x11) envelope, postmarked Feb. 22 (yesterday). I live in the Bay Area, and I interviewed 11/29.

I am beyond excited!!! 100% sure I'm going here. 🙂

Good luck to all who are waiting!!!

Congrats!! Yay! Nice to see they accept SOME bay area folks!

(Would you be willing to share numbers with us? GPA/MCAT?)
 
I dreamed last night that I got into UCSF.

It was so sad to wake up and realize that it hadn't happened 🙁
 
Everyday in class I just doodle UCSF on my notes over and over again...

Kind of sad except all my hopes and dreams are riding on UCSF!
 
Oh no🙁

Before the March meetings happen, you may want to send a LOI to the admissions office. I can't imagine that it would hurt. If you and someone have similar stats and interview impressions, the LOI may give you an edge. If I were on the committee and I turn down some well qualified kids who dreamed about going to UCSF, I would start dreaming about killing myself🙁
 
Oh no🙁

Before the March meetings happen, you may want to send a LOI to the admissions office. I can't imagine that it would hurt. If you and someone have similar stats and interview impressions, the LOI may give you an edge. If I were on the committee and I turn down some well qualified kids who dreamed about going to UCSF, I would start dreaming about killing myself🙁
LoL, thanks - I've actually been working on a LOI (interest) this weekend and plan to send it off first thing tomorrow morning! I interviewed about 3 weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure it'll get there on time.
 
Oh no🙁

Before the March meetings happen, you may want to send a LOI to the admissions office. I can't imagine that it would hurt. If you and someone have similar stats and interview impressions, the LOI may give you an edge. If I were on the committee and I turn down some well qualified kids who dreamed about going to UCSF, I would start dreaming about killing myself🙁

I've been debating about sending a letter of intent to UCSF. I've already sent a "letter of interest" and an "update letter". I think I should probably send in that letter of intent....😕
 
I've been debating about sending a letter of intent to UCSF. I've already sent a "letter of interest" and an "update letter". I think I should probably send in that letter of intent....😕

FWIW, I sent a letter of intent... didn't seem to hurt anything. If nothing else, it will impress upon them the sincerity of your desire to attend. Anybody who interviews at UCSF probably has other options, so for you to tell them that, despite your other choices, you'll go to UCSF if admitted serves as an extra assurance for them. The adcoms want to have the best accepted:matriculated ratio they can (factors in rankings, etc.) so if they can admit someone that they know will attend its a plus for you. Even if it doesn't help your app, it can help you by giving you a focus for all of that hopeful anxiety!
 
I posted this in the Allopathic Class Threads, but I thought I might as well post it here as well, in case it could potentially help someone out.

I interviewed for PRIME-US on Friday. It was a lot like UCSF's med student interviews. They set me up to interview with a current PRIME student and they told me beforehand the students name. You can look up his/her bio at the PRIME website, if interested; I would definitely recommend becoming familiar with the PRIME program and the opportunities it offers: http://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/prime/

I don't know if it is the general protocol, but my interview was blind; my interviewer knew nothing about me. So you should definitely be able to talk about what you've done and how it influenced your decision to apply to PRIME. Here's a general outline of the questions my interviewer asked me:
  • Tell me a little bit about yourself
  • What in your personal experiences led you to apply to PRIME?
  • What previous experience do you have in working with under-served?
  • What led to your interest in working with the urban under-served?
  • What do you expect from PRIME?
  • What will you personally bring to the PRIME program?
  • Do you have a specific medical interest and how do you see PRIME helping you in progressing towards your career goals?
  • How do you think you will utilize the masters degree requirement?
  • What is your perspective on the size of the program (12-15 people)?
  • How do you think you will benefit from the small-group peer, curricular and mentoring resources?
  • What potential challenges do you foresee with respect to PRIME?
  • How do you think you will overcome those challenges?
  • Do you have any questions for me as a student with experience in the PRIME program?
Those are the questions that I can think of from memory. My interviewer was focussed on getting the interview done in 45 minutes or less. It was pleasant and pretty informal. I hope this info helps. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I'm pretty sure UCSF prefers electronic versions only. But I would call and find out to make sure if I were you 🙂
I just called and was told either paper mail or electronic is fine. However, if you send it electronically, include the LOI in the body of the email and NOT as an attachment.
 
i sent my letter of intent by regular snail mail, and then checked a couple weeks later that they got it. and today i got my acceptance letter!!!!!! im ridiculously excited, and cannot wait. i feel like everything ive been working so hard for is finally coming together for me. good luck to everyone else who is still waiting. . .

[oh, and for those who are curious, i'm a local, and interviewed in mid-december]
 
Now I'm semi-officially on board...don't ask why🙂

AllAboutUCSF, did you send a LOI? It seems like LOIs do tend to help, that both OFD and megaluna did it and got in (n=2, great statistics), and we are yet to hear a case of rejection following LOI.
 
Now I'm semi-officially on board...don't ask why🙂

AllAboutUCSF, did you send a LOI? It seems like LOIs do tend to help, that both OFD and megaluna did it and got in (n=2, great statistics), and we are yet to hear a case of rejection following LOI.
Indeed... but I do know of someone on SDN who wrote a LOI and got placed on the high priority list.
 
Now I'm semi-officially on board...don't ask why🙂

AllAboutUCSF, did you send a LOI? It seems like LOIs do tend to help, that both OFD and megaluna did it and got in (n=2, great statistics), and we are yet to hear a case of rejection following LOI.

Yep!
 
I can't wait till early-mid april ... this is TORTURE !

Would any of you people here give up a kidney to get into UCSF? lol
 
I can't wait till early-mid april ... this is TORTURE !

Would any of you people here give up a kidney to get into UCSF? lol


Didn't UC Irvine have something to do with that, lol 🙂

But seriously, I'd only give my kidney to Dean Wofsy... he's the bomb.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Keep your kidneys, keep your guts, and keep your balls. You need all of them to pull through med school. LOL

In light of the first MSTP committee meeting, the MD committee will meet in ten days or so to discuss MSTP candidates they haven't reviewed. I'm not sure if it will be a special session exclusively for MSTP, or will it actually be one of the March meetings. Just FYI.

Didn't UC Irvine have something to do with that, lol
What was that? I didn't quite get the catch...
 
What was that? I didn't quite get the catch...

This is what he means ....

I heard that UCI's been having lots of scandals and infighting at its medical center in recent years. So it may not be a great time to attend UCI anyway seeing as its clinical setting is still in a reform and rebuilding phase.

http://www.calnurses.org/media-center/in-the-news/2006/february/page.jsp?itemID=27546763

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_976418.php

"At least 30 people died waiting for kidneys or livers at UCI between 2004 and 2005, while the hospital had no full-time transplant surgeon." Wow, huh.
 
PS. Not that I think UCI is a bad school. I think its a great school actually. I got rejected pre-interview though.

I wish I knew how important applying early was ... my friends told me, I just didn't take it seriously.