San Juan (U.S. MD) vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fghweobd

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I know this is a long process and it is early but I am already facing a dilemma. I am blessed to be accepted to a solid DO program and have also received an interview invitation from San Juan Bautista. It is one of the medical schools in Puerto Rico, but it is not "Caribbean." It is accredited by LCME (for those not familiar). With that being said, I wanted to ask the opinions of others that may be informed (thank you to those I have already spoken with). I am totally interested in a new experience and I would love to use Spanish as a physician. My background is pretty conversational (non-hispanic). Anyways, I know MD can open doors for me (if accepted that is) that may be more difficult as a DO.

In short: Does anyone have any input on San Juan vs a DO program? Any information is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Unless you foresee the language or other aspects of going to Puerto Rico for medical school hindering your academic success, US MD (this includes Puerto Rico MD) is still better than DO in terms of outcomes and prospects.

Unless you foresee the language or other aspects of going to Puerto Rico for medical school hindering your academic success, US MD (this includes Puerto Rico MD) is still better than DO in terms of outcomes and prospects.
Thank you, as this is the question at hand I needed clarity on!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless you should definitely attend the interview and do your best. If you wind up with an actual decision to make, then you will have plenty of time to weigh pros and cons

Similar position as you! Just interviewed 11/10 at SJBSOM and currently hold 2 DO A's. Lets talk in a few weeks

I'm in this exact spot now. What did y'all end up doing? Hope everything is well 🙏

I was accepted in December. I ultimately decided to pursue the DO option, considering that relocating to Puerto Rico would entail numerous sacrifices, such as being distant from my support network among other things. Additionally, I interviewed at Ponce St. Louis and am currently awaiting their decision. Should I be accepted, I am inclined to choose St. Louis. If not, I will continue with the DO path. Feel free to send me a private message if you’d like to discuss this further.

Reactions: 3 users