Sandeep Burman - another Bengali and great tabla player

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi swetha,what r u thinking about?u r the leading lady in the movie!u r supposed 2 b paro!i think devdas now wont even consider acting if u r not there!u two r the central characters in the movie!atleast think abt. debu 4 a moment!now hez gonna indulge himself in desi-daru!haha :laugh:
hey, devdas,tell something to ur paro....!tell her....."PARO.....PARO......MUJHE CHODKE MAAT JAAO ....PARO!"(means- dont leave me ,paro!)I HOPE OUR DEVDAS IS LISTENING! ;)
u 've to accompany me as the playback singer too,as no one in the forum sings!at least i dont know!
nimesh !help wanted! :scared: :confused:
saffronrain said:
anyone want to take my part? :D im not sure if i can handle this. haha singing, playing instruments, memorizing lines, acting, research, studying.. daaamn...outta controllll

Members don't see this ad.

Hear ya Prady

Sunny this movie will contain a lot of dishum dishum :laugh:

Shweta you need to chill, you just have to look pretty (as the actresses do in Hindi movies :laugh: )

DONE!!!! well... not officially.. just have to hand in this lit paper tomorrow and then i'm DOOOOOOOOOONEEE until fall. yay!!! i think i'll have a month to spare on this movie. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
thatz g8,swetha!!u can fully dedicate ur time towards making of our movie-the return of devdas!& for us too!!!! :love:

hahahaha~~~!

saffronrain said:
DONE!!!! well... not officially.. just have to hand in this lit paper tomorrow and then i'm DOOOOOOOOOONEEE until fall. yay!!! i think i'll have a month to spare on this movie. :p

yupp...

lol this is ridiculous.

saffronrain said:
yupp...

lol this is ridiculous.
Actually why don't we do a lagaan 2. Go against bush for 3 years of free oil. :D or better yet. Stop oil production completely and SAVE THE PLANET.

^ What Lagaan did you watch? There was a game of cricket in that movie, not oil :laugh: . If it's gonna be Lagaan 2, it should be about a ping-pong match against China LOL.

Get back to that paper Swetha (glad to hear you're done your exams btw)!! :D SDN is really addictive.

sunny123 said:
^ What Lagaan did you watch? There was a game of cricket in that movie, not oil :laugh: . If it's gonna be Lagaan 2, it should be about a ping-pong match against China LOL.

Get back to that paper Swetha (glad to hear you're done your exams btw)!! :D SDN is really addictive.

ugh.. yeah 1 more paragraph.. :(

Lagaan was awesome. oo better yet.. Munnabhai MBBS. that was gooood.. :laugh:

I would ask what the paper is on, but I don't want to keep you from finishing.

Munna Bhai was pretty good. Circuit was funny!! :laugh:

hello sunny!
circuit was funny!how was short-circuit??haha :laugh: u changed ur location sunny boy?i thought u were culturing bacteria;since when u started pulling a rickshaw?enjoying? :laugh: :smuggrin:
sunny123 said:
I would ask what the paper is on, but I don't want to keep you from finishing.

Munna Bhai was pretty good. Circuit was funny!! :laugh:
haha

Man...how did anyone like munnabhai mbbs? i think it was terrible...the whole idea was terrible....as was the acting...it wasn't cool at all....

lagaan on the other hand..was really good...i enjoyed it...i mean that's good acting ..and film making...
make sure you guys remember that.. coz i hear all this talk abt a devdas remake - an SDN-india production
G'luck in trying to make a devdas follow-up exciting...LOL
( i cudn't sit through the SRK parts of the movie...he looked pathetic...but that was his part...he was supposed to be like that...it IS a tragedy....and got paid for it....madhuri was good...and aishwarya was great in it....)

hi hopeful,
r u interested ...taking active participation in making of the movie?i 've a role 4 u!i can offer u chandramukhi's role!how does it sound ?get back 2 me! :laugh: :smuggrin:

hopeful05 said:
Man...how did anyone like munnabhai mbbs? i think it was terrible...the whole idea was terrible....as was the acting...it wasn't cool at all....

lagaan on the other hand..was really good...i enjoyed it...i mean that's good acting ..and film making...
make sure you guys remember that.. coz i hear all this talk abt a devdas remake - an SDN-india production
G'luck in trying to make a devdas follow-up exciting...LOL
( i cudn't sit through the SRK parts of the movie...he looked pathetic...but that was his part...he was supposed to be like that...it IS a tragedy....and got paid for it....madhuri was good...and aishwarya was great in it....)

c now..i'd either :laugh: along with you....or be :mad: at you....if only i knew what "chandramukhi " is.............?????????? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's Chandramukhi:

glam218.jpg

hello hopeful, u dont have 2 b mad at me!see sunny has xplained b-e-a-u-tifully what is chandramukhi!!!!hope u liked it!now what do u say?like my offer? ;)
hopeful05 said:
c now..i'd either :laugh: along with you....or be :mad: at you....if only i knew what "chandramukhi " is.............?????????? :confused:

no prady...i am quite content in being the viewer of the tragedy....don't want to be part of it...na ah!

hello hopeful!sorry, no intentions 2 hurt you!i thought u will b apart of this great movie...!anywayz, this movie is no tragedy....itz an action-packed masala; typical hindi film!bollywood ishtyle!!!!!!!! :laugh: i hope our director nimesh babu has no plan 2 change the theme of the movie!hey nimesh!r u there??? :laugh:
hopeful05 said:
no prady...i am quite content in being the viewer of the tragedy....don't want to be part of it...na ah!

hey ..no offense taken at all....G'luck with the movie...
although how can an action packed masala movie be titled "devdas" ? ;)
is it to shock the audience by delivering something unexpected under the title of devdas...?
well i hope the devdas in your movie is a happy character...that would be ironic...specially of you put in (with all seriousness) dialogues like-"devdas is here...to put some life into the party!!" "devdas is such a party animal " etc :laugh: "devdas rocks" :D :laugh:

Where is Shweta ??? :(

i cannot fall asleep ( seriously, I just graduated from college and cannot believe it. Med school's next :cool: )

Premedtomed said:
Where is Shweta ??? :(

i cannot fall asleep ( seriously, I just graduated from college and cannot believe it. Med school's next :cool: )

congratulations! that's awesome. can't wait for my turn... :eek:

saffronrain said:
congratulations! that's awesome. can't wait for my turn... :eek:

Thanks for replying dear. Hope all goes well for you., You know how I fell if something goes wrong and you r upset. ;) (that's a flirtatious wink BTW :laugh: )

Premedtomed said:
Thanks for replying dear. Hope all goes well for you., You know how I fell if something goes wrong and you r upset. ;) (that's a flirtatious wink BTW :laugh: )

i swear, if you really knew me, you'd totally back away. i'm extremely weird, or so they say...

saffronrain said:
i swear, if you really knew me, you'd totally back away. i'm extremely weird, or so they say...

Hey chill. A little inside thing. You are Indian and that is all that matters ;)

But you are scaring me :scared:

sunny123 said:
Ravi Shankar, I don't think so.... I play my own style. :D

And you can leanr to play the sitar in any country, just as long as there is a teacher there ;) . Although, I only lasted about 7 hours with my instructor, before I decided to teach myself. So.... don't expect any precise ragas being played, cause I play from the soul!

Whatever.... I just play what sounds nice to me :p .

wow thats gr8.

I would love to hear u r own style of playing sitar. When u learn on ur own u often end up creating u r own style. These variations can be sometimes suprisingly refreshing.

When i started off playing tabla I wasnt aware of all intricate taals and raagas. i just picked up some popular tunes and used play them. but when i had a mentor he taught me discipline and true beauty of tabla. i think it is very essential to have a mentor or guru he is the one who refines u as a serious player. Its especially true for indian music. Indian culture has always emphasised iportance of guru he is considered to be a equivalent to one's father and mother. Do u know Eklavya the legnedary archer from mahabharata????? even he had a guru albeit a virtual since dronacharya didnt accept him. So do u have such a guru ????/ is that ravi shankar u follow????

I was really surprised when i learned u play sitar since i find it very unusual for a canadiaj to lean an indian instrument. Overhere I have some friends who really cant distinguisg between a veena a sitar and a sarod. They only know ravi shankar since he is father of norah jones. ......... :(

saffronrain said:
cool stuff.. have you guys heard of "Suphala"? she's an Indian tabla player and i saw an article about her in the New York Times today.. her stuff is pretty neat- check it out at suphala.com (at least, i think that's what it is). i love tabla, sitar, and all the other indian instruments out there!! :D
No i havent heard of suphala yet but there are many others indian women tabla players. I hope u've heard of anuradha pal she is one of the best know women tabla player.
Its indeed heartening to learn that u love tabla sitat and all other instruments. I think separation from home country makes one more conscious about one's own culture. :laugh:

prady said:
hey, i used 2 learn the tabla,but that was long long back.....!i also learnt approx. for 1-1 1/2 yrs!
:laugh:
why did u quit...... I quit because I had my ssc and after that hsc exams u know how crucial these exams in india. but i still sit up and play tabla for somtime when i am at home. One cant acutally play an instrument in Hostel without attracting hordes of onlooker....... :D .

saffronrain said:
::shudder:: i hate lata. w/ a passion. her voice is so weird.

yeah i agree with u, but she is ageing now thats why her voice is becoming weird. she should gracefully retire from singing. Let us remember her as a melody queen of yesteryears. She was truly marvellous when she was at her best.
Same thing applies to Amitabh bacchan -no he is not a singer but he is doing alll these nonsense roles in any sundry hindi movie and endorsing every thing from hair oil to soft drinks on tv commercials. he is really getting on my nerves. he should at least b selective about his roles like the one he did in black

Yesterday I attended a jugalbandi of Veena and Sitar and Uinv. of Cincy

Very interesting :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am kind of glad that I will be going to medical school there. Will be able to keep in touch with our Bhratiya Sanksriti , which dear Shweta :love: means a lot of fun :laugh: :p :p

allergic2morons said:
wow thats gr8.

I would love to hear u r own style of playing sitar. When u learn on ur own u often end up creating u r own style. These variations can be sometimes suprisingly refreshing.

When i started off playing tabla I wasnt aware of all intricate taals and raagas. i just picked up some popular tunes and used play them. but when i had a mentor he taught me discipline and true beauty of tabla. i think it is very essential to have a mentor or guru he is the one who refines u as a serious player. Its especially true for indian music. Indian culture has always emphasised iportance of guru he is considered to be a equivalent to one's father and mother. Do u know Eklavya the legnedary archer from mahabharata????? even he had a guru albeit a virtual since dronacharya didnt accept him. So do u have such a guru ????/ is that ravi shankar u follow????

I was really surprised when i learned u play sitar since i find it very unusual for a canadiaj to lean an indian instrument. Overhere I have some friends who really cant distinguisg between a veena a sitar and a sarod. They only know ravi shankar since he is father of norah jones. ......... :(

Of course I know who Ekalavya is, and I know the injustice done upon him (but that is another discussion). I don't really have any such guru in mind, however, growing up I used to want Ravi Shankar as a guru or even Ali Akbar Khan. However, after reading up on Ravi SHankar's history, I didn't like him as a person (abandoning Annapurna, didn't look after his son Shubho, nor did he look after Norah). Granted the man is talented, but there are plenty of others with talent. I've grown up listening to Vilayat Khan, Bismillah Khan, Imrat Khan, Nikhil Bannerjee, and many others. I've been implenting whatever I have heard over the two decades of my life, and been playing them out on the sitar. I would really love to have a surbahar, sarod, and tabla (I've played the tabla for about a week in India, several years back, and I enjoyed it).

I really don't know how my mind really works, in terms of analyzing music and interpreting patterns... it somehow comes to me (although with practise). I made sitar pieces in mpeg video format, but I'm trying to reduce the size of the files (they are about 450mb in size). When I do get them reduced, I'll let you know so you can take a look. I've played at two temples here (during a Sunday evening, when there is only the preist and a few elderly people), and one of the priests compared my playing to a jugalbandi style (much like what Siddhartha listened too). Honestly, when I play, I can't even tell what I'm playing, since the pieces I play sound very differently when playing live, and then once I hear it back in the recording.

There aren't too many people that actually appreciate the instrumental aspect of Indian classical music (Swetha, you are the second female I've encountered that takes an interest). I've seen how politics and rivalry get in between musicians, and that really left a bad impression on me... this was something I didn't expect to find out, but it is there.

Anyways, you shouldn't b surprised that a Canadian is learning an Indian instrument, because there are a lot of us. Add the Indo-Americans, and you got a whole lot more. Most of the performers keep homes in North America and India, so that they can split their time on both sides of the world. They usually stay for about six months here so that they can teach and hold workshops. But you have to find the right teacher for you before you continue.

same here dude!i had 2 quit coz of my 10th std. xams!!
allergic2morons said:
why did u quit...... I quit because I had my ssc and after that hsc exams u know how crucial these exams in india. but i still sit up and play tabla for somtime when i am at home. One cant acutally play an instrument in Hostel without attracting hordes of onlooker....... :D .

cool!yeah!this devdas will rock!mark my words!no tragedy in this movie plzzzzzz.!only comedy....!thus, u can take part??i guess?!btw wherez our director-cum-producer,nimesh?hey nemo.....r u listening? :laugh:
hopeful05 said:
hey ..no offense taken at all....G'luck with the movie...
although how can an action packed masala movie be titled "devdas" ? ;)
is it to shock the audience by delivering something unexpected under the title of devdas...?
well i hope the devdas in your movie is a happy character...that would be ironic...specially of you put in (with all seriousness) dialogues like-"devdas is here...to put some life into the party!!" "devdas is such a party animal " etc :laugh: "devdas rocks" :D :laugh:

:laugh: hey sid, stop flirting with OUR paro!plz....get back 2 serious business!!!!!i mean the movie.......hahaha! :laugh:
Premedtomed said:
Hey chill. A little inside thing. You are Indian and that is all that matters ;)

But you are scaring me :scared:

prady said:
cool!yeah!this devdas will rock!mark my words!no tragedy in this movie plzzzzzz.!only comedy....!thus, u can take part??i guess?!

all right the comedy thing reeled me in...so start rolling...

hey...do you know...writing 'thus' (or even 'hence') is such an indian thing..!..thats what I've noticed...i write it normally too...people here tend to use 'so' more

Again like I said the opeining scene,
we have a fight sequence . Sunny fighting goondaas .

Shweta finds out that he's no good :laugh: :laugh: I mean, u know born and bred here ----> no good :laugh: :laugh:

^ OOOhhhhhh!!! Don't increase my krode level!! :laugh: I might just start busting out the Russel Peter jokes... "wobbling wobbling" :p

sunny123 said:
^ OOOhhhhhh!!! Don't increase my krode level!! :laugh: I might just start busting out the Russel Peter jokes... "wobbling wobbling" :p
:laugh: :laugh:

hopeful05 said:

hey...do you know...writing 'thus' (or even 'hence') is such an indian thing..!..thats what I've noticed...i write it normally too...people here tend to use 'so' more
Actually, I find that most Indian poeple use the word "thrice". No one uses that over here in NA. (at least it is a very rare occurence)

hello hopeful,
i guess u r right,dear! ;)
hopeful05 said:

prady said:
hello sunny!
circuit was funny!how was short-circuit??haha :laugh: u changed ur location sunny boy?i thought u were culturing bacteria;since when u started pulling a rickshaw?enjoying? :laugh: :smuggrin:

haha
Yeah prady bhai (you're a guy right?), I had to change my location. I needed to get into shape! :laugh:

hi devdas,
why r u thinking abt. the opening scene?just leave it to the director!itz his job!u r the movie's hero;the whole movie runs around u!just concentrate on ur acting,will you? ;) :laugh: :smuggrin:
Premedtomed said:
Again like I said the opeining scene,
we have a fight sequence . Sunny fighting goondaas .

Shweta finds out that he's no good :laugh: :laugh: I mean, u know born and bred here ----> no good :laugh: :laugh:

Tashicho Dzong, houses the Seat of Government in Thimphu. The Tshogdu, as the National Assembly is known, meets here on a regular basis. It consists of approximately 150 members, some elected by the people, some elected by the Clergy, and some appointed by the King. With the Tashicho nestled in a narrow valley, it is easy to see how Bhutan could be envisioned as an archetype of the famed Shangri-La.

http://www.jovial.on.ca/vica/Asia/Bhutan/Bhutan1.html

why do u ask.....if i'm a guy or not?koi shak?
btw do u think pulling rickshaw in bay st. will keep u fit?i think it will drain u out! ;) :laugh: :laugh:
sunny123 said:
Yeah prady bhai (you're a guy right?), I had to change my location. I needed to get into shape! :laugh:

:laugh: if sunny starts pullin out some of russell peters' lines, then it'll be hard to choose which guy i'm going after. :laugh: :p
sid- personally, i liked your other avatar better b/c it was Green Day and i like them. not a lot, but i think they're cool. :D and of course there'd be a character named "shweta" in a real bollywood movie... we're just cool like that. :cool: :p AND, by the way- you're saying my name wrong.
my advice to you if you're trying to get a girl- say her name right. :D :D

way 2 go swetha!
saffronrain said:
:laugh: if sunny starts pullin out some of russell peters' lines, then it'll be hard to choose which guy i'm going after. :laugh: :p
sid- personally, i liked your other avatar better b/c it was Green Day and i like them. not a lot, but i think they're cool. :D and of course there'd be a character named "shweta" in a real bollywood movie... we're just cool like that. :cool: :p AND, by the way- you're saying my name wrong.
my advice to you if you're trying to get a girl- say her name right. :D :D

Premedtomed said:
Hey how does my new avatar look ?
I can't see anything buddy. The pic is waay too small, but nice history behind it... how about these:

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

images

If these don't fit, then just resize them using paint, and then upload it.

she just said- its shweta not swetha