sandpaper rash with fever without sorethroat

Started by Painter1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Painter1

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so i know this infamous sandpaper rash is assoicated with scarlet fever, but what if you have a classic sandpaper rash and fever, but no sorethroat and a normal pharangeal(sp?) exam? do you still throat cx or even tx with pcn? i ask as i remember somewhere someone mentioned that you treat; however, my understanding now is that viral syndromes can also cause sandpaper rashes.

?
 
so i know this infamous sandpaper rash is assoicated with scarlet fever, but what if you have a classic sandpaper rash and fever, but no sorethroat and a normal pharangeal(sp?) exam? do you still throat cx or even tx with pcn? i ask as i remember somewhere someone mentioned that you treat; however, my understanding now is that viral syndromes can also cause sandpaper rashes.

?
I'd check a rapid strep, can also check ASO titers. If the ASO titers are high, you'd consider treating.
 
I'd check a rapid strep, can also check ASO titers. If the ASO titers are high, you'd consider treating.

I wouldn't rely on ASO titers; they remain positive for months after strep infection. A rapid strep or culture is enough to treat, though some treat clinically, especially if it fits with a 'classic' appearance and distribution.

Incidentally, this thread is a duplicate of the on the ED forum.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't rely on ASO titers; they remain positive for months after strep infection. A rapid strep or culture is enough to treat, though some treat clinically, especially if it fits with a 'classic' appearance and distribution.

Incidentally, this thread is a duplicate of the on the ED forum.
Hmm, didn't mean to sound like ASO titers were the standard. I've just seen them used as supporting evidence when a rapid strep was neg but the suspicion was high.
 
EBM may say otherwise, but I say its strep and give them PCN. Just remember Strep test is high specificity and relatively low sensitivity and I saw a million kids in the ER with rash, fever, tachycardia, belly pain and no complaints of sore throat-nearly always strep culture positive (carrier vs active infection ?)
 
if the butt looks ok (ie- no evidence of perianal strep) and mucus membranes are clear; then i say eczema vs. viral exanthem