Sanity check...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a copyeditor change their results?

Mine appears to have (presumably accidentally) done a "find-replace" with numbers. Odds Ratios of 1 became odds ratios of 50, etc. Virtually every number was wrong. I alerted them to this and they still put it online as "in press" with those problems still present while they work on fixing. Following a series of increasingly terse emails where I told them to take it down until it was corrected and they refuse because "It is their policy to publish articles as quickly as possible and readers understand this is still temporary", I receive a nastygram for the editor about my tone towards journal staff. (Note: worst I said was referencing a "bungled attempt at copyediting").

This is a completely legit (NOT open access), mid-tier journal. Editor is a senior professor at UCLA. Its a common outlet for large-scale health services research and I'd wager I'm not the only one here who has published in that journal.

I've agreed to drop it for the sake of my co-author who is more socially integrated into this area, but must admit I was sorely tempted to escalate. Its not a journal I'm likely to publish in again (especially after this experience) and would not otherwise mind calling this person out on something like this despite their relative stature. However, am I wrong in thinking this is an extremely abnormal copyediting problem that warrants a stronger reaction than "Oh well"? Not thrilled that something with wildly inaccurate results is now readily accessible via google scholar...even if temporary. Especially given the increased attention to retractions and the incredible regulatory burdens that means I'm working extra hours to make sure my techs are initialing the source documents correctly and other mundane nonsense. Seeing this treated so cavalierly irritates me to no end...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, having numbers off on that scale is hugely problematic IMO. A ton of people read the advance article, and those things are commonly used for media stories. I am in agreement that something with those kinds of errors should be taken down immediately. Some typos or grammar changes, who cares? But, blatantly wrong numbers in the results, pull it for a few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is comforting to hear. Editing mistakes happen and I get it. I don't get the whole "In press is temporary", seemingly bizarre belief that "publish as soon as possible" is a laudable goal if this is the consequence, and otherwise cavalier attitude towards wildly inaccurate numbers. Especially given I started with polite requests they hold the article from release until its fixed and only got increasingly more incensed when they didn't do that after saying they would. I'd think given retraction watch and everything else going on this is something editors would be particularly sensitive to.

My best guess is that they don't have an easy system in place for pulling articles once posted and are just too lazy to look into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience with APA journal copy editing has been much worse since they moved copy editing out of the house. They outsource it now, and I've had grammar errors added to my manuscripts since then. No results changed though. Not sure if this is an APA journal or outsources to the same company.

Nope! Elsevier. Which doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation as a publisher, but is seemingly unavoidable for certain topics. Strongly suspect its outsourced. Tempted to post the journal name just for public shaming, but restraining myself. Feel free to PM me if interested. Though folks who have replied so far, unless any of you have made major pivots in your research program I doubt you would ever publish there (nor would I normally, though this is some residual stuff from internship I'm clearing off my plate)

Never had an issue with Oxford or Springer...

I recently had a journal (midtier, not open access) only replace about half of my “Authors” blinded citations in an OnlineFirst copy of one of my articles. I feel your pain.

Edit: Springer journal, outsourced copyediting

This is absolutely unacceptable. Not only should copy editors not actually change numerical values, but the journal (company, whatever) should not post the paper if the data are wrong!!! That would reallllllly piss me off.

Have seen it happen too. Also recently had a journal copyedit team make me reformat tables from an accepted manuscript for them because they said it was too much work to do it on their own. I also getting annoyed when certain wording or phrases is changed without any heads up, but that's probably just me being picky :)