sarcastic doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP -

You are continuing to backpedal and try to cover your own tracks; just take the advice given by those who appear to be much older and wiser than yourself. You should get over yourself and grow up.

Sorry, it's harsh, but it's true. Even if your father felt insulted by the other doctor, I'd place my money on the fact that if it was that big of a deal, your father would have had an adult conversation and worked things out with the other doctor instead of whining to a bunch of SDNers.
 
Grow up! Grow some thicker skin! Your mom and dad are no longer around to protect you against words you may not like hearing.
 
hey everyone, i encountered a maddening incident with a ortho surgeon the other day at the physician's room. how would you have handled it?

oversensitive much?

People, let's cut crystalgreen a break. The first time that a resident or attending "busts your chops" for no good reason (other than "Because I can") is NOT a pleasant experience. After a while you get used to it, but the first time always SUCKS. If none of you have experienced it - just wait until the first time that your resident publicly treats you like trash in front of the rest of the team (including your fellow med students). For those of you who are MS3/MS4, or above - you should remember what it felt like (if for no other reason than to make sure that you don't do it to YOUR students).

crystalgreen - unfortunately, some people in medicine have very twisted senses of humor. And they're surrounded by people (students, interns) who are kind of forced to "laugh" at their "jokes."

In your situation, I would have done what I always do - give him a VERY tight-lipped "smile" and say nothing. By saying something, you let him know that he's gotten under your skin, and trying to laugh at something like that is kind of ridiculous. It's a little passive-aggressive, but no attending can legitimately call you "unprofessional" or "disrespectful," no matter what your body language says to the contrary.

well, since you ask, I'd think the doc liked my dad a lot and thought well of his sense of humor and was willing to talk to daddy's little girl like she was a grownup, so I'd have tried to act like one and not acted like daddy's spoiled little girl instead. Sheesh, child, your dad laughed. I'm insulted for your dad that you substituted your judgment about his friend for your daddy's. You're either really insincere about this or you're immature.

inaminute - like I said, wait until it happens to you, and let's see how well you deal with it.

Secondly - yeah, his dad laughed. What else was the man going to do? Say, "Don't talk to me like that in front of my kid!" and start a punching match? Please. He probably thought it was the only reasonable response in an otherwise irritating situation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That was really rather off-base. Serious projection going on there. This wasn't the equivalent of being attacked as a student by your superior.

1) He wasn't attacking her, he was making a joke about her dad, while the man was in the room and obviously didn't mind too much.
2) She is not under the stress and pressure of having to please him, so there's much less anxiety in the situation compared to what a student would feel. This was a shadowing experience - there's zero worry in this situation.

She overreacted, plain and simple.
 
i don't know many people that would seriously insult someone to their face like that.

HA! 😡 When you do your third year ob/gyn or surgery rotation, purposely let of the retractor in the middle of an operation - preferably at a very delicate and important moment. Let's see if you revise that statement after that.
 
That was really rather off-topic. Serious projection going on there. This wasn't the equivalent of being attacked as a student by your superior.

1) He wasn't attacking her, he was making a joke about her dad. While her dad was in the room and obviously didn't mind too much.
2) She is not under the stress and pressure of having to please him, so there's much less anxiety in the situation compared to what a student would feel. This was a shadowing experience - there's zero worry there.

She overreacted, plain and simple.

Definitely agreed. This story was in no way comparable to a "resident publicly treating you like trash in front of the rest of the team." Not even close. He made one joking comment about her father, and if she'd laughed and said "why is he a bad guy?" then the response would have been a great story or something amusing that her father did. It wasn't busting his chops or ripping her up in front of others.

She overreacted and is still trying to justify her overreaction because I'm guessing at this point she feels pretty embarrassed about her response.
 
sure, but this particular bit was unprovoked.

That kind of tirade isn't always provoked. 🙁 Sometimes the resident is just having a bad day and you happen to be in the way.

P.S. The anger isn't directed at you, obviously. 🙂 Just remembering a very bad day on Labor and Delivery, a slippery retractor, and a grumpy attending.
 
yeah, you have to be kidding, right? clearly he was just joking around. lighten up a little, and get a sense of humor!
 
u probably take crap from other people like it's nothing...do u even respect urself? LoL

Actually, yes I do take crap from other people like it's nothing. But I also respect myself very much. See, I have the social maturity to realize that there is a line that needs to be crossed in order to evoke a serious response.

Evidently, you couldn't find this line if you stared in a mirror and it was drawn in red marker right across your forehead. You should have a proctologist bend you over and try to help you find it, ASAP.
 
When was the last time someone insulted another person by calling them a "bad guy"?

It's like not even an insult in this day and age.
 
If I tell you that my dad can beat up your dad are you going to cry yourself to sleep? Seriously though, if you let little things like this get to you, the real world is going to gobble you up and spit you back out.
 
dude, it's not like i didnt know he was being sarcastic and joking. how would you feel if someone said your dad is a "bad guy" in front of you?...even if they were joking?

Wow. You're the girl I don't want on my team. If you thought that joke was bad you would hate every moment you spent in a room with me (as I'm sure you will by the time you read this anyway). You just strike me as the type who would want to report every little problem to someone in charge, regardless of where you are.

The guy knows your dad, was busting your chops and you were lucky to be a part of it. Not many pre-meds get a chance to watch any kind of invasive surgery in the OR, and if we did I'm sure we wouldn't mind if they cracked jokes about our moms, dads, grandparents, or aunts and uncles.

I just think you should loosen up a bit. Take that stick out of your... hair and let your bun down.


Try this one on for size:

I was in the Gross Pathology department shadowing for the day and the pathologist just received a miscarried fetus. Well, he proceeds to grab the hand of the little guy with his forceps and wave it around throwing gang signs, talking about his longing for a good solid placenta among other things... Then he received a brain he needed to slice and section to determine if there was any hemorrhaging, so he walks over to the nurse (with the brain in hand) and says, "Gee, I'm not sure how you get through the days without this, but I guess since you've been missing it for so long you just grew accustomed to life without one..." Then he turned around and started to dice it up. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try this one on for size:

I was in the Gross Pathology department shadowing for the day and the pathologist just received a miscarried fetus. Well, he proceeds to grab the hand of the little guy with his forceps and wave it around throwing gang signs, talking about his longing for a good solid placenta among other things... Then he received a brain he needed to slice and section to determine if there was any hemorrhaging, so he walks over to the nurse (with the brain in hand) and says, "Gee, I'm not sure how you get through the days without this, but I guess since you've been missing it for so long you just grew accustomed to life without one..." Then he turned around and started to dice it up. :laugh:

Wow.

I'd be a little irritated if I was the nurse and hadn't known him for at least a year =P
 
Even if it wasn't a joke, I wouldn't react the way you did. Lighten up.
 
I thought that sarcasm meters were implanted in us at birth...?

I think there's a genetic condition called "congenital asarcastinemia", in which the body is unable to process the information from implanted sarcasm meters. It is possible to correct the defect through months or sometimes years of sarco-therapy.
 
we've all encountered them ever since gradeschool, starting with the kid in the class who kept telling u knock knock jokes thinking they're the funniest things ever. and there are 2 ways to deal with them: to be congenial and pretend its funny, or be an ass and tell them they're lame. however if they cross the line and do it too many times or tell rly offensive joke then it's ok to tell them to stfu and circumvent the asshat status.

it sounds like the ortho guy has had quite a history of his poor-taste in jokes, however it was the first time he did it in your presence. so give him a break. your father on the other hand has every right to be annoyed.
 
hey everyone, i encountered a maddening incident with a ortho surgeon the other day at the physician's room. how would you have handled it?
here's what happened:
my dad is a doctor and he was gonna assist another doctor in a surgery that morning. I was gonna shadow him and watch him in surgery. As i was waiting for him the physician's room, there was another doctor there-the ortho surgeon. at first we had good conversation as we were talking about the kinda surgery i was gonna see. then when my dad walked in, he said:"he's not a doctor! he's a bad guy!" i was really surprised and i said:" you know you're talking about my dad right?" he said:" yeah i know, so? he's a bad guy!" then he ask me what school im going to and by this time i was pretty mad and i sarcastically said:" maybe i dont wanto tell you!"

My dad just laughed the whole thing off. My dad then told me that that's just the guy's personality and that i shouldnt have talked back to him??

😕, How can this possibly be maddening? The guy was obviously making a joke. How can it be anything other than a joke?? Does anyone go up to a person they actually don't like and say "he's the bad guy." Thats ridiculous. I would have handled the situation by laughing and playing along. Are you that stupid to talk back to a guy who was nice enough to talk to you beforehand. Hopefully you can learn from this...
 
I wasn't aware that the OP was a woman. What I mean by that is a lot of harsh criticism appears to be coming from males, who perhaps don't quite fully understand how women would typically react to this sort of scenario.

I noticed that friendship among males is quite different from friendship among females.

Guys rip on each other all the time with no serious consequences. On the other hand, civil wars commonly arise from women making trivial comments about one another.
 
I wasn't aware that the OP was a woman. What I mean by that is a lot of harsh criticism appears to be coming from males, who perhaps don't quite fully understand how women would typically react to this sort of scenario.

I noticed that friendship among males is quite different from friendship among females.

Guys rip on each other all the time with no serious consequences. On the other hand, civil wars commonly arise from women making trivial comments about one another.

Eh - I think about half of the posters condemning the OP are women (like myslef). And even women tease each other among close friends.
 
Eh - I think about half of the posters condemning the OP are women (like myslef). And even women tease each other among close friends.

Hrm okay. I am definitely no expert. It just seemed like the more sympathetic folks were women.
 
People, let's cut crystalgreen a break. The first time that a resident or attending "busts your chops" for no good reason (other than "Because I can") is NOT a pleasant experience. After a while you get used to it, but the first time always SUCKS. If none of you have experienced it - just wait until the first time that your resident publicly treats you like trash in front of the rest of the team (including your fellow med students). For those of you who are MS3/MS4, or above - you should remember what it felt like (if for no other reason than to make sure that you don't do it to YOUR students).

crystalgreen - unfortunately, some people in medicine have very twisted senses of humor. And they're surrounded by people (students, interns) who are kind of forced to "laugh" at their "jokes."

I'm pretty sure most people have had their chops busted in some way or other at some point in their lives. I will give you that its different in that you are a professional and expect to be treated as such, but I can personally say that my life experiences are such that yes it will make me angry, but I can guarantee I won't be oversensitive to it and talk back to them\post about it on an Internet forum. Of course, after having spent a cold night on a roof on " fire watch," after being yelled at in front of my coworkers for 30 mins. for no other reason than I was new, I don't think it will affect me as much as it obviously affected you.
 
I'm pretty sure most people have had their chops busted in some way or other at some point in their lives. I will give you that its different in that you are a professional and expect to be treated as such, but I can personally say that my life experiences are such that yes it will make me angry, but I can guarantee I won't be oversensitive to it and talk back to them\post about it on an Internet forum. Of course, after having spent a cold night on a roof on " fire watch," after being yelled at in front of my coworkers for 30 mins. for no other reason than I was new, I don't think it will affect me as much as it obviously affected you.

Maybe you will. Maybe you won't.

Who hasn't had their chops busted at some point? Oddly enough, I did have jobs before in college, where getting yelled at (for trivial stuff) was somewhat routine.

But, when you're on a rotation, and you're tense all the time (because you have exactly 2 minutes to impress an attending who you'll never see again after today, but will somehow be responsible for evaluating you and determining your future in surgery), your threshold becomes a little lower than it would otherwise.

And come on - it's an unpleasant enough experience that those who undergo it (including, evidently, you!) should be a little more gentle to others who have just experienced that for the first time.

For the OP - maybe it was her first time getting her chops busted. And sure, she'll need to get a thicker skin. But that comes with time - and not with random people on the internet telling you to "grow up."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe you will. Maybe you won't.

Who hasn't had their chops busted at some point? Oddly enough, I did have jobs before in college, where getting yelled at (for trivial stuff) was somewhat routine.

But, when you're on a rotation, and you're tense all the time (because you have exactly 2 minutes to impress an attending who you'll never see again after today, but will somehow be responsible for evaluating you and determining your future in surgery), your threshold becomes a little lower than it would otherwise.

And come on - it's an unpleasant enough experience that those who undergo it (including, evidently, you!) should be a little more gentle to others who have just experienced that for the first time.

For the OP - maybe it was her first time getting her chops busted. And sure, she'll need to get a thicker skin. But that comes with time - and not with random people on the internet telling you to "grow up."

thank you for the support...i think that you're the only person so far who actually didnt tear me to pieces by saying that I have no personality or that im socially incompetent.
it seems that most people who have commented are very judgemental...they dont even know me and they throw such harsh words and incorrect judgements around. but that's their problem. what can i say at this pt? thank you everyone for the comments...im sure my skin is already thicker after reading all this...LoL.
 
thank you for the support...i think that you're the only person so far who actually didnt tear me to pieces by saying that I have no personality or that im socially incompetent.
it seems that most people who have commented are very judgemental...they dont even know me and they throw such harsh words and incorrect judgements around. but that's their problem. what can i say at this pt? thank you everyone for the comments...im sure my skin is already thicker after reading all this...LoL.

You were the one who got on SDN to ask people what they would do. Were you seriously only expecting people to feel sorry for you and take your side?
 
thank you for the support...i think that you're the only person so far who actually didnt tear me to pieces by saying that I have no personality or that im socially incompetent.
it seems that most people who have commented are very judgemental...they dont even know me and they throw such harsh words and incorrect judgements around. but that's their problem. what can i say at this pt? thank you everyone for the comments...im sure my skin is already thicker after reading all this...LoL.

Give us something to think otherwise; for your own sake. May we ask, how old are you?


LoL.
 
Jesus ****ing christ, someone revoke this man's license to practice!!

Haha sorry man, but that was clearly him just trying to be humorous. I can't even imagine as taking that badly at all.
 
Maybe you will. Maybe you won't.

Who hasn't had their chops busted at some point? Oddly enough, I did have jobs before in college, where getting yelled at (for trivial stuff) was somewhat routine.

But, when you're on a rotation, and you're tense all the time (because you have exactly 2 minutes to impress an attending who you'll never see again after today, but will somehow be responsible for evaluating you and determining your future in surgery), your threshold becomes a little lower than it would otherwise.

And come on - it's an unpleasant enough experience that those who undergo it (including, evidently, you!) should be a little more gentle to others who have just experienced that for the first time.

For the OP - maybe it was her first time getting her chops busted. And sure, she'll need to get a thicker skin. But that comes with time - and not with random people on the internet telling you to "grow up."

I know that this is cynical of me, but with a doctor as a father, if this was her first time experiencing sarcasm, then they've got a whole other set of problems.

Not to say that I expect to do great under that type of pressure-on the contrary I expect to crack many a time- but at the end of the day, I expect to be able to let it go and laugh it off. If you don't have a sense of humor about the whole thing, it's going to be a completely unpleasant experience and career.
 
What an outrage. I think you should contact the hospital administration, maybe even the newspaper.
 
Someone doesn't know women very well.

If female = your mom --> sympathy, else --> nothing close to it

🙂

Who really knows women well? =P

But I think you misunderstood where I was coming from. My evidence comes from posters in this thread who appear to me to be women, e.g. Jolie South, Texangirl, smq123. I am not 100% sure these posters are women but some metaphysical intuition tells me so.

Even alwaysaangel, who despite being critical, is critical in a very different manner. Before even approaching the contents of her post she forwards a disclaimer that states she means no offense! This is extraordinarily considerate in comparison to the other blatant insults that appeared.

Do you see what I mean?
 
clues like tone should allow you to figure out what the guy really meant. "He's a bad guy" in a real serious and quiet manner so that your dad really couldnt even hear might be a little cause for concern, but a jovial "hes a bad guy LOL!" is clearly a joke.

LESS QQ, MORE PEW PEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
What an outrage. I think you should contact the hospital administration, maybe even the newspaper.

yes, maddening nonserious comments about one's own father should also be answered with a lawsuit, so get thee to a lawyer, stat

:laugh:
 
Your dad can handle himself. You need to worry about yourself and dont talk back to those above you when they are clearly joking.
 
Eh - I think about half of the posters condemning the OP are women (like myslef). And even women tease each other among close friends.

Mostly only women who are borderline men (you know what i mean).

Just get a tougher skin as i dont think the doc means ish.👎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I fear for the OP's ability to cope with what lies ahead of her in medicine . . .
 
I don't think we're being too harsh on crystalgreen. Every now and then stupid sh** comes out of my mouth or is typed on a forum, and if it weren't for public defamation I would never learn.
 
My evidence comes from posters in this thread who appear to me to be women, e.g. Jolie South, Texangirl, smq123. I am not 100% sure these posters are women but some metaphysical intuition tells me so.

YAY!! Someone finally (correctly) assumed that I'm a girl! I knew that the avatar change would pay off! :hardy:

I fear for the OP's ability to cope with what lies ahead of her in medicine . . .

:laugh: I wonder what you'd say if I told you that the first time I got publicly mocked by a scrub nurse (in front of my entire team) for absolutely nothing, I was so pissed off that I went into the bathroom and slammed my fist into the wall repeatedly. Then I slapped the door open, and stormed back out. (Yeah, I have a pretty terrible temper sometimes, especially in the face of unprovoked teasing from a scrub tech.) It made a lot of noise, and attracted a few stares, but it felt pretty damn good.

(Actually, it's statements like these that probably made people think I was a guy, and not the avatar. 😳)

Not to say that I expect to do great under that type of pressure-on the contrary I expect to crack many a time- but at the end of the day, I expect to be able to let it go and laugh it off. If you don't have a sense of humor about the whole thing, it's going to be a completely unpleasant experience and career.

Of course you need a sense of humor. But when you're "in the moment" then it's hard to find that sense of humor. Not to mention the fact that there's rarely anything to laugh about. When a circulating nurse says "Med students are pretty useless" to your face, it's not easy to conjure up a giggle. What's there to laugh about in that situation? 😡 (Ashamed to say that, many times, when faced with circulating "nurses" like that, I've said to myself, "10 years from now I'll be a physician and YOUR boss. You'll still be nothing but a faceless circ." 😳)

[EDIT: The circulator was "joking," but if you think that it would be acceptable for me to "joke" back and say "I'm worth more than a circulator nurse," think again. Circulator nurses are like dictators - they love dishing it out, but they CANNOT take it. You HAVE to kiss up to them. Ugh.]

And I think that it's the posters who rudely told the OP to "lighten up and grow up and get a thicker skin" who need the sense of humor about the whole thing....

Try this one on for size:

I was in the Gross Pathology department shadowing for the day and the pathologist just received a miscarried fetus. Well, he proceeds to grab the hand of the little guy with his forceps and wave it around throwing gang signs, talking about his longing for a good solid placenta among other things... Then he received a brain he needed to slice and section to determine if there was any hemorrhaging, so he walks over to the nurse (with the brain in hand) and says, "Gee, I'm not sure how you get through the days without this, but I guess since you've been missing it for so long you just grew accustomed to life without one..." Then he turned around and started to dice it up. :laugh:

Heh heh heh...I can't believe you actually found this funny.

I'm glad to see that all that time spent away from patients has atrophied that pathologist's sense of compassion and sense of professionalism. 🙄

Have I seen attendings and residents who acted as unprofessionally as that pathologist did? Yes.
Did I rip them a new one on my evaluations? YES - you better believe that I did.
Did I hope that they got fired on the basis of my evalutions? YES!
Did I sign my name with a flourish at the bottom of my "anonymous" evaluation? YES. I wanted them to know exactly who wrote those comments.

Sure, I have laughed at things that patients have said - but never making fun of them when they're down. They've always been things that the patients laughed about too. Humor is important, but what's even more important is realizing that humor isn't always appropriate.

Seriously - what that pathologist did is pretty bad. It's just a "miscarried fetus" to him - but to a patient (and to the people on the floors that are actually caring for her), that's a tragedy. (You ever tried taking care of a person who had an IUFD? And then had to "deliver" that deceased fetus by induced vaginal birth? It's not a fun experience, especially when the husband is crying by her side.)

The brain that he sectioned may have come from a patient who is YOUR age, and died in a car crash. It may have come from a child. You don't know.

What that pathologist did is pretty horrible, and I find it equally horrible that you found it amusing.
 
well, since you ask, I'd think the doc liked my dad a lot and thought well of his sense of humor and was willing to talk to daddy's little girl like she was a grownup, so I'd have tried to act like one and not acted like daddy's spoiled little girl instead. Sheesh, child, your dad laughed. I'm insulted for your dad that you substituted your judgment about his friend for your daddy's. You're either really insincere about this or you're immature.

hey inaminute its bigs. why is your account on hold! ***!
 
The brain that he sectioned may have come from a patient who is YOUR age, and died in a car crash. It may have come from a child. You don't know.

What that pathologist did is pretty horrible, and I find it equally horrible that you found it amusing.

1. who cares where the brain came from, it still is hella funny......guy thinks quick on his feet.

2. You need to get a thicker skin if you dont find that amusing. Seriously u cant be so serious in life...otherwise youll get things like ulcers, cancer, etc.

Laugh some!