SAT Scores and GRE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT Hopeful2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a sophomore biology major and starting to think about GRE prep. I was thinking that we could make a thread where, if you are willing, you can post what you got on the SAT and then what you got on the GRE. I'm just trying to see if there is any correlation between the two, however small it may be. I haven't really started studying for the GRE yet; can anyone comment on the similarity between the two tests?

Here are my personal SAT scores: (again, I haven't taken the GRE yet)

Critical Reading: 710
Math: 740
Writing: 530

One last question, at what point do pre-physical therapy students typically take the GRE in their college career?

Members don't see this ad.

My SAT scores, if I remember them correctly...

Critical Reading: 640
Math: 700
Writing: 660
Total: 2000

My GRE scores:

Q: 163 (86%)
V: 160 (84%)
AW: 4.5 (80%)

I feel like the tests were very different from each other, and I don't know how much my SAT scores really matter. Even though they both have math and reading sections, the GRE questions have a different feel because they're on a computer, and they sorta test for more logical problem solving than just straightforward plugging in numbers to find an answer. I definitely needed study guides for the GRE (I used Magoosh which was really helpful for math, didn't really study for verbal at all other than going over the types of questions I would see). Magoosh taught me ways to solve the problems and how to not fall for common traps. I also took both tests in the ETS Powerprep II to get a feel for the format and timing.

I took the GRE at the end of June, and I graduated college at the end of May. I also applied at the beginning of August, mostly because I took summer school and waited for my grade to show on my transcript. I suggest taking it six months or so before you apply, so you have time to study and take it again if you want to.

I honestly have no idea what my SAT scores were, that was a long dang time ago...I'd have to go home to my parents house and dig the sheet out of a very dusty filling cabinet probably...:laugh:

I will say though that I'm confident I got at least 80th+ percentile, whatever score that translates into...Got 98th, 71st and 93rd percentile on GRE verbal, quant and AW, respectively.

As stated above, the SAT and GRE play to different strengths to some extent.

I work as an SAT class instructor and the tests are very different.

- The SAT tests heavily on grammar (writing section) and the GRE doesn't have any of that

-The GRE also has much more vocabulary than the SAT.

-The SAT essay section asks students to take a stand on an issue or idea that the SAT presents (scored out of 6 by two readers for a maximum of 12). The GRE essay section has two essays: one called "analyze an issue" and another called "analyze an argument" (I believe each scored out of 6 and then averaged-- high score is a 6). The Issue essay is similar to the SAT essay, and the GRE argument essay has you identify weaknesses in a passage's argument.

- I don't remember how the SAT math compares to the GRE, but I remember a lot of permutation/combination problems on the GRE. I also used Magoosh prep and it was very helpful for the math (imo the prep was harder than the test).

SAT: 2100, 9 on the essay ( don't remember specific section scores)

GRE:
V: 161
Q: 164
W: 5.5