Sat

hilorlrav928

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...so i wanna get into purdue's pre pharm...and i need to raise my sat score by alot lets just say...when i took my diagnosis test i got a 1450...when i took another one...i got a 1490. but when i took the practice tests at home timed and everything, i got a 1740 and a 1650...idk y that happened...but what r some strategies/study habits should i do in order to raise that score to atleast an 1850-2000? aiming big...i know...i have a private tutor and im going to and online class and everything. im tkaing the test on jan 24th...please help me...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming that you are a junior; if this is true, you have plenty of time to improve your score. I work for one of those test prep companies (gotta pay back the med school loans somehow), and so I've seen a lot of kids with scores all over the place. It's very weird that you got such a wide range from your diags to your take home tests, but if neither of those scores is your ideal, you've got a bit of work ahead of you. Let's assume that you'll be taking the test in March or April. Here's what you do:

Continue with your private tutor/online class, esp. if you need that kind of structure to motivate yourself. Do ALL of the homework/practice stuff your tutor gives you. I can't tell you how many times my tutoring students don't do their work and then complain later on that their score didn't improve. Listen to the advice of your tutor. If he or she says to structure your essay differently or write a certain way, do it. There's a reason. ETS looks for specific traits in essays; the SAT is not the time to babble or make a profound statement.

When you take practice tests, take them in a formal setting. Don't sit in your room or at your dining room table. Go to a library and sit in one of those wooden cubicles. Some of my students actually come to the test prep offices and sit in there. Also, take your test in one chunk. Don't split it out over a long period. The point of the practice test is to practice the conditions of the real thing, so nice quiet room and exact amounts of time for breaks.

Flashcards. Vocab is so important on this test and too many people overlook it. If you don't like flashcards, find a method that helps you memorize the words that your test prep company gives you (they should be in the back of your book).

Use the methods that are taught to you. Research and development at the Princeton Review and Kaplan and all those other companies spend MILLIONS of dollars trying to figure out how YOU can score better. Don't let their money go to waste. Give the techniques that you are taught an honest-to-goodness try. Too many people think the tricks make them go slower and stop using them. The truth is, they do make you slow down. At first. Then, once you master them, your pace will speed back up. And the only way to practice techniques is to do the homework you are assigned (bringing us back to the first point)

All in all, practice is the key. You are the only one who can raise your score, so work hard at it, practice as much as you can, and you are guaranteed to see an improvement. Hope this helps!

hi! so i take it that ur a tutor? yeah im a junior. im taking the sats in jan...idk if thats a good idea. cuz i have tennis in teh spring. yes actually i have a tutor from teh kaplan center here. idk, like i want/need to improve, but i kinda need to by alot. and i do the hw and everything my tutor tells me to do. do u think its wise for me to take the sats in jan? or should i wait till feb? i can only take the sats twice to make it look good on my college application. and judging by my old score...i need to like practice alot if i wanna get to a 2000 or more...so idk, ive been in this turmoil for a while and idk what to do...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're asking if you should take the SAT in January, I would recommend no. With winter break providing a distraction from heavy studying, you're looking at about two to three solid weeks between now and the January SAT. You'll be stressed and freaking out, which is definitely not good for your mental health, let alone your score. I realize that tennis is a time commitment but so is getting into your dream program, so if I were you, I would make both my priorities. Push back the SAT until the March or May date (you won't be applying to schools until Julyish to September, right?) and then a little bit every day, work on techniques that you are taught. I don't know much about Kaplan's teaching methods as I'm a tutor for the Princeton Review, but I'm sure they have just as many great things to tell you as we do. So work on whatever Kaplan gives you, go to school, and play tennis. By pushing back your SAT date, you will be very busy and will definitely have to sacrifice your social life, but trust me, it's so worth it. I'm not saying neglect your friends, but limit the amount of time spent hanging out; maybe give yourself one or two nights a week to just veg with friends. Once the SAT is over, you'll have the entire rest of the spring and summer to relax and do whatever you want. I know it sounds hard, but it's the best investment you can make. You may feel like you're being put through hell by becoming a tennis-playing, SAT-studying recluse, but when you get that nice shiny score you really want, that hell dissolves into euphoria. Definitely think about pushing back to March.

ok...i will definetly take that into consideration. what about the hw load i will recieve from school? thats what im really worried about. managing all of this and at the same time making it all a success. and at the same time ill be preparing for the act...as well. my tutoring session will be over by january...and ill be taking an online course plus act tutoring and an act class i believe...im just really worried about getting a good score the first time i take the sat, so that way when i take a second time, i wouldnt have alot to worry about getting my score up etc...