Sat

jennearomo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So firstly what's a good SAT score?
Secondly, what is the difference between SAT and ACT?
Do I have to take both? Is one more necessary than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what kind of university you are looking for. If you're planning on applying to top ivy/public universities, you would need to aim for SAT 2100+ and ACT 31+. If your top choice university/college requires both SAT and ACT, you have to take both and get decent score.
Noted: good SAT/ACT are not only colleges/university are looking for, they want to know what you are doing after school such as volunteering, community service, workplace, etc.

It depends on what kind of university you are looking for. If you're planning on applying to top ivy/public universities, you would need to aim for SAT 2100+ and ACT 31+. If your top choice university/college requires both SAT and ACT, you have to take both and get decent score.
Noted: good SAT/ACT are not only colleges/university are looking for, they want to know what you are doing after school such as volunteering, community service, workplace, etc.

:thumbup:. let me just add a few things.
The average SAT score is probably between 1500-1550 (on the 2400 scale ofcourse). A score of 1800+ is competitive, and a score of 2100+ is super competitive. This is not to say one with an 1900 cant get into IVY leagues...they can, ive seen it happen. Its just saying that the SAT score only depends on where you are looking to go to college. If you want to go to your city / state school, it is not really necessary to study to aim for a 2300, as probably a 1900 or 2000 in your state/city school will offer you scholarships.

The ACT and SAT are equvalent tests. The SAT is out of 2400, where as the ACT is out of 36. Both schools view it the same however in the east coast i believe the SAT is more popular, however in the mid west, ACT is probably more popular.

In regards to if you take both.....i did. For the reason that i might score higher on one than the other. However where as many people score something on the SAT's and score higher on the ACT, there are many like me, who scored higher on the SAT than the ACT's.

For more information on this do a quick google search of "SAT ACT conversion chart"...there you can see what SAT scores coorespond to ACT scores....ex. a 36 ACT = 2400 SAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
So firstly what's a good SAT score?
Secondly, what is the difference between SAT and ACT?
Do I have to take both? Is one more necessary than the other?
check with your school, because it varies. some schools far prefer one over the other, especially for scholarships. to be safe, you can just take both.

2200 sat or a 32 act should be good enough for almost all schools, providing you have all the other stuff they want.

SAT also focuses a lot on vocabulary, not so much on the ACT