Saturation: What can WE really do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The market will fix itself. Saturation will drive down wages, which will drive down school enrollment. 10 to 15 years, the market will adjust. We all just happen to be pharmacist when the bubble bursts. Just like the mortgage crisis, the banks won, boomers who saw their equity skyrocket won.

Pharmacy is great for boomer and X-ers who went to school when there was low tution then wage their wages skyrocket. It is the younger crowd that is hurt.

The problem with pharmacist, is that we are seen as pill counters. The average person has a vague idea of what a doctor or nurse does, but no one knows what a pharmacist does. It is very difficult to use a pharmD anywhere else than retail.
The problem is Artificial Intelligence will stand in the way of the market fixing itself. If Pharmacy was saturated 10 years ago, the market would correct itself. Now, with big data and block chain technology. The market correcting itself is uncertain.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Neither your state BOP, the government, nor your alma mater will save you. They couldn't care less. The BOP and the chains are completely intertwined, and the chains benefit massively from saturation.

Are pharmacists going to unionize? Doubtful.

So plan for yourself. No one is going to save you but you.
Exactly a board member from my state basically told us good luck. The days of sign on bonus is over.

I'm the guy who says this every time. What saturation? I work in California where even though we have 13 pharmacy schools, we can't even staff my region. It's 2019 and I'll finish the year with over $200k as my salary because we have no pharmacists to cover any shifts. And honestly, my $200k will mostly be my store alone. I have 180 pharmacist hours a week. That's on paper 4.5 full shifts right? We only have like three pharmacist. I've shown a list of stores that my scheduler sends out that need coverage and there are days when we are 7 rph short. It's out of hand.

Anyway, in a few weeks I might post my pay stub to show, but everyone already knows if you work in Central Cal, you get $$$$.

Is this in the desert? I wouldn't want to live there.

Also the CPJE breach kinda froze all new licenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly the saturation is great for employers. Especially with so many colleges and associations advocating for residencies it's a great way to cycle through cheap labor. Since labor is one of the best items to manage on your balance sheet it doesn't make sense to not utilize this to your advantage. I said a few years ago that you kids who keep doing residencies are only feeding a giant. I can hire a full time pharmacist at $35k a year in a "residency" and cycle them in and out every year.

Reactions: 1 users
Can ANYONE present a business model..that can (will) be widely adopted....in say...5 years; that will pay a huge surplus of PharmD holders 100k/yr with the usual bennies? THAT is the world you will have to visualize to justify earning the mentioned Pharm D...If you can..hey, go for it....good luck.

I will just "enjoy" seeing how bad it will get in retail

I gotta ask what your issue with credentials is (your sig)?

Putting it out there because I am humble; I didn't include PharmD after my name on my ID badge until my employer literally told me to include credentials. With that said, you've earned those credentials so why hate on it if you want to display em?

There is a difference between "PharmD, BCPS" and "PharmD, BCPS, FAPhA, FASHP, etc". I think it looks tacky and devalues the PharmD. BCPS has earned enough weight to matter, but it is my opinion that PharmD should be the only thing on your badge/citations. For me, seeing 2+ credentials from non-degrees is just fluff. I've seen some people sign their names on publications with at least 5 (non-degree) credentials and it's just cringe

Aren't you "The Man" guy that got canned from the retail job?
Congrats

No

That is about as true, or meaningful, as me saying, “hey aren’t you that sexist, raciest, mansplainer?”

What’s your problem anyway? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Last edited:
  • Haha
No

That is about as true, or meaningful, as me saying, “hey aren’t you that sexist, raciest, mansplainer?”

lmao, there are a couple of "pharmacists" here that hold grudges. Mentos was mine until he decided to ghost my posts which is good for me. After I told him he was completely wrong about computer science related topics, he decided to troll me by following me to threads and just posting I was lying about everything.

There is a difference between "PharmD, BCPS" and "PharmD, BCPS, FAPhA, FASHP, etc". I think it looks tacky and devalues the PharmD. BCPS has earned enough weight to matter, but it is my opinion that PharmD should be the only thing on your badge/citations. For me, seeing 2+ credentials from non-degrees is just fluff. I've seen some people sign their names on publications with at least 5 (non-degree) credentials and it's just cringe

Our BCOP pharmacists have it on badge to harmonize with the nurses credentials displaying as BSN, OCN.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I'm the guy who says this every time. What saturation? I work in California where even though we have 13 pharmacy schools, we can't even staff my region. It's 2019 and I'll finish the year with over $200k as my salary because we have no pharmacists to cover any shifts. And honestly, my $200k will mostly be my store alone. I have 180 pharmacist hours a week. That's on paper 4.5 full shifts right? We only have like three pharmacist. I've shown a list of stores that my scheduler sends out that need coverage and there are days when we are 7 rph short. It's out of hand.

Anyway, in a few weeks I might post my pay stub to show, but everyone already knows if you work in Central Cal, you get $$$$.

This post is accurate for the Central Valley.

BUT...just because a company is starved for labor doesn’t necessarily mean there, in fact, isn’t a saturation growing outside of its 4 walls.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

No
Ah, my apologies. You crushed retail so hard that the company you worked for folded. Way different.
Your inaccurate, dishonest posts paint a false picture of the profession for students and deserve to be corrected.

You may not realize it, but there's a line between positive thinking and delusion.
A harsh reality check for the benefit of students reading this board is beneficial.

Last edited:
Ah, my apologies. You crushed retail so hard that the company you worked for folded. Way different.
Your inaccurate, dishonest posts paint a false picture of the profession for students and deserve to be corrected.

You may not realize it, but there's a line between positive thinking and delusion.
A harsh reality check for the benefit of students reading this board is beneficial.

Oh gotcha...

Well I am a participant in this forum too. Is that ok with you? I will say, however, my career experience is not a delusion. It is quite real.

• Haha
Just weird that you would pick a fight with me out of nowhere.

Anyway it’s cool, I got ya... Your down in the dumps... I’ll just chalk it up to soggy diapers..

• Haha