Saturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ru9045

Reaction score
Are there any parts of the country that are so saturated that income is significantly affected?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Enrollment - in schools? AACPM would be in charge of that and they don't care because they make money by having profitable schools. Schools don't care because they make money on your student loans. APMA doesn't care because they make money off your dues - more podiatrists more possibilities of dues.

It's a fact of life - move to an area where more people are at chances are there will be more people doing your trade.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the saturation to the point where you wouldn’t recommend the field? Like Pharmacy or Optometry?

I was under the impression that because only 500-600 students graduate every year that has kept the market from being too saturated. I soppose that NPs and PAs can do all the non surgical foot stuff that DPMs do.

Is the saturation to the point where you wouldn’t recommend the field? Like Pharmacy or Optometry?

I was under the impression that because only 500-600 students graduate every year that has kept the market from being too saturated. I soppose that NPs and PAs can do all the non surgical foot stuff that DPMs do.

I honestly don’t know where that many people find jobs every year.

NPs and PAs are busy playing "doctor"

They don't have the time to clean a diabetic foot ulcer!

10 per state, give or take some based on population....
Is saturation a serious problem in podiatry?

Is saturation a serious problem in podiatry?

No

BLS projects a 10% increase in demand for Pods by 2026.

Each healthcare fields has saturation in all of the major cities (MD/DO included); this does not mean you cannot get a job...you can...but the pay will not be same to someone in a rural area doing all F&A cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is it moving that direction though? I imagine most professions are saturated somewhat in cities.
80% of Americans live in urban areas. Of course there are going to be significantly more doctors in urban areas.

Reactions: 1 user
If I recall, they said the same thing about pharmacy back in 2010.

I think the biggest thing is not increasing class size or opening up more schools. Reading the forums, it seems like most people can find full time work, but they have to work as associates in private practice which pays notoriously low.

No

BLS projects a 10% increase in demand for Pods by 2026.

Each healthcare fields has saturation in all of the major cities (MD/DO included); this does not mean you cannot get a job...you can...but the pay will not be same to someone in a rural area doing all F&A cases.

If I recall, they said the same thing about pharmacy back in 2010.

I think the biggest thing is not increasing class size or opening up more schools. Reading the forums, it seems like most people can find full time work, but they have to work as associates in private practice which pays notoriously low.
I would take anything posted on this forum that is not drawing from a legitimate source with a pound of salt. Residencies will always be a cap on growth. Many of the people here who try to crap on podiatry just seem to be bitter with the profession and provide some personal anecdote as proof.

Reactions: 4 users