SAVMA Symposium?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ri23

OSU CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is planning on heading down to Auburn for symposium this year? I am going as a SAVMA delegate - and very much looking forward to it. I hear it is a lot of fun.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going too. Hopefully we can have a little SDN get together! I didn't get a wetlab though. Boo!

I bet you're excited about it being at Ohio next year.

I'll be there (here!).

Also - if any GLBT students are coming down -- the Lesbian & Gay Vet Medical Association (LGVMA) is hosting an evening event. You can private me for details..... or look up the LGVMA contact info online.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was really looking forward to going, but it is a BIT of a schedule conflict with the symposium being on Easter.

I'm going. I did get into a liver biopsy wet lab.

I'm going too. Hopefully we can have a little SDN get together! I didn't get a wetlab though. Boo!

I bet you're excited about it being at Ohio next year.

I very much am. It is a lot of planning though.

I'll be there! I think it's just a few hours from Starkville, and I'm excited to visit a new vet school and meet some other students. No wet labs for me either. Easter is nothing special to me without my family back home, so I'm excited about having something else to do with my day off.

side note: I had no idea there was a LGVMA, that's so cool. (I bet my school would implode if they had an event here, sadly. )

side note: I had no idea there was a LGVMA, that's so cool. (I bet my school would implode if they had an event here, sadly. )

Auburn would too -- it's not a school function, and the meeting will take place off campus. Auburn doesn't have an LGVMA chapter. It will just be whatever students attend from other schools, etc.

I'll be there. It'll be great to return to the South! And I'll also be in the Crocodilian Anatomy wet lab.

There is a second chance for wetlabs email going around if you tried to sign up for one (like me) and didn't get one. You might want to check your email or if you PM me, I will send you the contact information.

I'm going! I'm pretty excited. I'm going to be on the bovine palpation team. We're one of the few schools that sends second years because our third years are in clinics right now. I'm a bit scared to be going up against teams that have already had a formal therio class :scared:
I managed to get into the Large Animal emergency care wetlab, I'm excited about that one :D. I'm totally up for a get together!

So who ended up attending? I had an absolutely amazing time! I even enjoyed most of the lectures I attended, because I felt like I could just sit back, listen and learn rather than worrying about getting down every single thing that was said, just in case it were to appear on a test =)

I took a tour of the Auburn campus Saturday morning, and I was so impressed, especially with the large animal and equine facilities. I've really only been through Mississippi and NC State's vet schools, so I really liked being able to see what all the similarities and differences were between them all. But yeah, the new equine and large animal facilities blew me away, we are much, much smaller in that regard.

:clap: Good job to all the Auburn students who put their blood, sweat and tears into running everything this weekend, thanks for having us! :hardy:

Auburn would too -- it's not a school function, and the meeting will take place off campus. Auburn doesn't have an LGVMA chapter. It will just be whatever students attend from other schools, etc.

Wow... is there overt homophobia on campus at MissState and Auburn? Or is it more of an administrative feeling? AuburnPreVet, are you out?

Wow... is there overt homophobia on campus at MissState and Auburn? Or is it more of an administrative feeling? AuburnPreVet, are you out?

No, there's certainly not an overt homophobia here on campus or anything, and we even have a few students in my class alone that are openly gay and no one really cares... except that some people do kinda care, but only express it amongst friends. There's just a handful of more religiously-obsessed people here than anywhere else I've ever lived, and religion seems to be more influential and talked about in all aspects of life and school here, to the point where I feel like a gay and lesbian event here at school would never meet everybody's approval.

It is certainly not as though people of varying sexual orientations (or race, for that matter) feel any less safe here, it just kinda feels like it's still a few years behind in terms of open-mindedness. I kind of enjoy being a crazy "northern" liberal down here and trying to shake things up just a bit :D

"Overt Homophobia" -- that may be a little harsh. It is more that it is something the south has avoided for a long time, to the point where I get the impression that people feel it doesn't exsist in our community. I'm not "out"..on campus.... But, enough people do know that I'm rather uncomfortable at times... and we have had very negative comments made by classmates (usually in a general context, ie. Harry Potter, etc). I'm not aware of ANY "out" Auburn CVM students.

Although, the LGVMA social that we hosted associated with SAVMA Symposium went VERY well. Needless to say NO other Auburn students attended.... but many others did & had a great time.

EDIT: With all of that said - I don't want to paint a negative image in anyone's mind about Auburn CVM. It's a great school, very educated faculty, great facilities, etc. Politically we just are on opposite ends of the spectrum, I suppose. Making a movement towards tolerance/acceptance of all people should be a goal ... but it will come in baby-steps.

No worries, it's not just at Auburn...we've got some guys in our class who love to make fun of each other with various synonyms for being gay. Regardless of whether they agree with lifestyle or not, I sure wish they'd act their age instead of sounding like a bunch of 8th graders. :rolleyes:

Thankfully I expect Davis will be pretty much a non-issue. Or if it's not... I'll... throw a tantrum! :D Good for you, AuburnPreVet, for staying cheerful and even organizing meetings and things, in the face of some unpleasantness. that takes guts.

So who ended up attending? I had an absolutely amazing time! I even enjoyed most of the lectures I attended, because I felt like I could just sit back, listen and learn rather than worrying about getting down every single thing that was said, just in case it were to appear on a test =)

I took a tour of the Auburn campus Saturday morning, and I was so impressed, especially with the large animal and equine facilities. I've really only been through Mississippi and NC State's vet schools, so I really liked being able to see what all the similarities and differences were between them all. But yeah, the new equine and large animal facilities blew me away, we are much, much smaller in that regard.

:clap: Good job to all the Auburn students who put their blood, sweat and tears into running everything this weekend, thanks for having us! :hardy:

I also went and had a good time. There were some really good talks and it was great getting to know some people from various schools.

It was interesting having it on two campuses, but I kind of doubt it will be done again, with all of the extra transportation issues. Congrats to both the Tuskegee and Auburn students, it was obviously a great deal of work. Also - congrats to University of Wisconsin for a successful 2010 bid!

I had a blast at symposium and Dr. Wilhite and the crocodilian anatomy was amazing! Great work AU and Tusk.!