1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

SBL vs. PBL

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Canuck99, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My wife and I were just discussing the pro's and con's of each and could not come to any real conclusion. I want to open this thread to the good people of SDN to sound off over whether you prefer SBL or PBL, and why. Have at it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lecture Based ~> Skip class and study myself.

4. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seconded.

5. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

uh ... was lecture even the question?

I thought he was contridicting System-based or problem-based? Just a different approach to learning, doesn't mean anything about lectures :confused: I know both areas where people "have to attend" some classes and don't have to attend others.

6. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

Neither one is "better" than the other. Each person has to evaluate the mode and style with which they learn best and go with that.

7. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I am not trying to decide which one is better than the other. I am simply curious to know what others think about the two learning tracks. Why would someone choose one over the other?

8. mamitch4

mamitch4 Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    PBL is implemented differently at different schools... but I think that in general PBL is more interactive and student-directed than a SBL curriculum.
    As a participant in PBL, I feel like the curriculum is pushing me to build personal interaction and information processing skills that an SBL curriculum wouldn't. I also feel like I won't necessarily be exposed to all of the medical knowledge that I need to prepare for boards in class-- that's ok because I feel comfortable learning on my own.
    That's not too say that a student in an SBL curriculum doesn't develop these types of skills, I just think that the SBL curriculum focuses on exposing students to quantities of medical knowledge rather than developing problem solving skills.
    The question might be what do you want your medical education to do for you and what do you want to be responsible for?