Scanning and organizing notes automatically, proof of concept.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReviewR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I posted this in the interdisciplinary/technology section, but changed my mind and wanted to post it here.

I have figured out an easy way to take notes, scan them into PDFs, and organize them automatically. I am not claiming my idea is unique by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it would be a boon to people who are in medical school.

It basically involves using a cover-sheet with a bar-code for each stack of notes that you have. These cover-sheets can be created really easily, and you can have one (or more) for each class. It will all make sense in the video. These cover-sheets allow the program to split the pdf into different documents and uses the barcode to name the file. These files can then be sent to the appropriate folder.

I have created a video that shows proof of concept. I will be working on a full set of instructions over the weekend. I am still trying to simplify the set up, which is why I haven't posted instructions for this yet. I hope to use your feedback to improve the instructions I already have. (This is my first attempt at blogging and making videos, and any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.)

You can find everything here:

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or comment on the video or blog. I hope you find this useful!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a pretty good idea and very creative and useful for organizing bills and other correspondence. Lord knows many people (especially me) have trouble keeping track of all that stuff. However I don't know how much utility you will get out of this in medical school, where about 95% of your notes will be taken on the computer. Unless you live and die by handwritten notes. But if you are wanting to put your notes onto your computer anyway, I doubt you will be taking them by hand in the first place.

Thank you so much for your thoughts! That is a fair point. 100s of pages/slides of material would be hard to manage, even with this system. Lugging all that around would be tough. I am going to think about that more. Maybe I can incorporate some extra utility to those who strictly use electronic records.

Thanks again!

Use onenote and a tablet/stylus if you want to take handwritten notes. It's so clutch for organization. I only take handwritten notes to condense things I want to look at leading up to an exam.