Scanning and organizing notes automatically, proof of concept.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ReviewR

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone!

I posted this in the interdisciplinary/technology section, but changed my mind and wanted to post it here.

I have figured out an easy way to take notes, scan them into PDFs, and organize them automatically. I am not claiming my idea is unique by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it would be a boon to people who are in medical school.

It basically involves using a cover-sheet with a bar-code for each stack of notes that you have. These cover-sheets can be created really easily, and you can have one (or more) for each class. It will all make sense in the video. These cover-sheets allow the program to split the pdf into different documents and uses the barcode to name the file. These files can then be sent to the appropriate folder.

I have created a video that shows proof of concept. I will be working on a full set of instructions over the weekend. I am still trying to simplify the set up, which is why I haven't posted instructions for this yet. I hope to use your feedback to improve the instructions I already have. (This is my first attempt at blogging and making videos, and any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.)

You can find everything here:



If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me or comment on the video or blog. I hope you find this useful!
 
I think it's a pretty good idea and very creative and useful for organizing bills and other correspondence. Lord knows many people (especially me) have trouble keeping track of all that stuff. However I don't know how much utility you will get out of this in medical school, where about 95% of your notes will be taken on the computer. Unless you live and die by handwritten notes. But if you are wanting to put your notes onto your computer anyway, I doubt you will be taking them by hand in the first place.
 
Thank you so much for your thoughts! That is a fair point. 100s of pages/slides of material would be hard to manage, even with this system. Lugging all that around would be tough. I am going to think about that more. Maybe I can incorporate some extra utility to those who strictly use electronic records.

Thanks again!
 
Use onenote and a tablet/stylus if you want to take handwritten notes. It's so clutch for organization. I only take handwritten notes to condense things I want to look at leading up to an exam.