SCARED OF ANKI- PLEASE ADVICE

Jack-Kennedy35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your time. I had a question about using ANKI to study in medical school. Would you mind going over how you incorporate it into your studying? Do you first read the lecture slides and try to memorize everything on there first before getting to the Anki cards?

I just find it a little strange to immediately jump into Anki after lecture, because then won't every single card feel like a new language? You can't possibly know 99% of them just from listening during lecture right?

Additionally, spending just 20 seconds on a brand new card (that's what I think most people do as opposed to 1 minute or more), in a whole set that is new, doesn't seem very conducive to feeling like you're actually learning anything?
-Isn't it a bit scary to not write down everything, and still feel like you're learning by just reading it THAT QUICKLY and moving on?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anki is all about the timed repetition -- it shows you cards at intervals that are designed to help build long term memory. There is some active learning involved here; you can't expect (IMO) to just passively go through cards and remember the information. When I'm presented with Anki cards that have concepts or definitions that are entirely new, I make sure to read them thoroughly (a few times, even) to start building those memorization pathways.

That said, if you're going through a deck and feel completely in the dark about the concept, I'd turn to external resources (like your lectures or Boards and Beyond) to learn the material first and then come back and work on the memorization.

Reactions: 1 user
I just find it a little strange to immediately jump into Anki after lecture, because then won't every single card feel like a new language?
Yes but it should be familiar because you've just watched a lecture on the material.

You can't possibly know 99% of them just from listening during lecture right?
Correct. Read the card and understand why it makes sense (if it involves critical thinking) or memorize it (if its a factoid)

Additionally, spending just 20 seconds on a brand new card (that's what I think most people do as opposed to 1 minute or more), in a whole set that is new, doesn't seem very conducive to feeling like you're actually learning anything?
If it's a card that involves critical thinking, take the time to understand it and stop worrying about the clock. For example: card is asking you to determine the cause of pH disturbance by providing you the pH, CO2 and bicarb, then you need to learn how to think through acid/base disturbances. Eventually you will think through them faster and come to the correct answers in seconds. But at first, just concern yourself with getting the logic correct.

If it's memorizing a factoid, then just memorize it and move on with your life. For example: card asking you the differential of metabolic acidosis. Memorize MUDPILES CAT and move on with life.

Isn't it a bit scary to not write down everything, and still feel like you're learning by just reading it THAT QUICKLY and moving on?
You're not learning "just by reading it quickly." You're learning by actively recalling information.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes but it should be familiar because you've just watched a lecture on the material.

Correct. Read the card and understand why it makes sense (if it involves critical thinking) or memorize it (if its a factoid)

If it's a card that involves critical thinking, take the time to understand it and stop worrying about the clock. For example: card is asking you to determine the cause of pH disturbance by providing you the pH, CO2 and bicarb, then you need to learn how to think through acid/base disturbances. Eventually you will think through them faster and come to the correct answers in seconds. But at first, just concern yourself with getting the logic correct.

If it's memorizing a factoid, then just memorize it and move on with your life. For example: card asking you the differential of metabolic acidosis. Memorize MUDPILES CAT and move on with life.

You're not learning "just by reading it quickly." You're learning by actively recalling information.
Thank you so much for this information- it was very helpful.

One follow up Q that I have, which may sound really basic, is how exactly do you memorize those factoids (that have no critical thinking)?

Do you just read each card outloud over and over until you are able to recite it fully before moving onto the next one? Or do you maybe write down the anki card information on a piece of paper (I imagine this method is not very time conducive)?

Just curious to know how you brute memorize!

Thanks

Anki is all about the timed repetition -- it shows you cards at intervals that are designed to help build long term memory. There is some active learning involved here; you can't expect (IMO) to just passively go through cards and remember the information. When I'm presented with Anki cards that have concepts or definitions that are entirely new, I make sure to read them thoroughly (a few times, even) to start building those memorization pathways.

That said, if you're going through a deck and feel completely in the dark about the concept, I'd turn to external resources (like your lectures or Boards and Beyond) to learn the material first and then come back and work on the memorization.
Thank you for this information! Hers my plan, please let me know if you think this is a efficient use of my time:

1. I’ll first watch the lecture and just pay attention taking minimal notes.

2. After class, I’ll go through lecture slides and take some notes on pathways and things that involve critical thinking (I.e. not definitions)

3. Watch the corresponding boards and beyond videos.

4. Do Anki Cards (just curious during your 1st year, how many new cards were you doing each day?)

5. Do Practice questions from first aid or Uworld. Take notes on things I get wrong in a book (and maybe review the book once at the end of the week).

Is this a reasonable plan to follow daily or would you reccomend changing some parts of it?

Thank you so much for this information- it was very helpful.

One follow up Q that I have, which may sound really basic, is how exactly do you memorize those factoids (that have no critical thinking)?

Do you just read each card outloud over and over until you are able to recite it fully before moving onto the next one? Or do you maybe write down the anki card information on a piece of paper (I imagine this method is not very time conducive)?

Just curious to know how you brute memorize!

Thanks
Whichever works for you. Alternatively you can try developing a ‘memory palace’ or other memory aids for a set of factoids. Ideally something that makes the process enjoyable because anki is an absolute slog over M1/2 but pays off.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your time. I had a question about using ANKI to study in medical school. Would you mind going over how you incorporate it into your studying? Do you first read the lecture slides and try to memorize everything on there first before getting to the Anki cards?

I just find it a little strange to immediately jump into Anki after lecture, because then won't every single card feel like a new language? You can't possibly know 99% of them just from listening during lecture right?

-Isn't it a bit scary to not write down everything, and still feel like you're learning by just reading it THAT QUICKLY and moving on?

Thanks
Hi there, I’v created an app called Magikard that allow user create flashcards and case studies which help you understand concept, situation, and problems and invite people to discuss within each case doctors or medical students face everyday. So now you don’t need to re-read boring flashcards everyday, instead revise cases and remember the real useful knowledge you need to learn and find out what you’re missing off :)

Feel free to contact and give feedback to [email protected]

Btw, I’m ENT doctor and I know how hard medical school is