Scared of practice exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelsea FC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone terrified of taking practice exams ?? I have been studying for months now and I cant seem to retain the information at all. Now its 2 months out from my exam and I am forcing myself to take practice exams but I am terrified that bad scores will kill my already low moral and that I will be wasting exams taking them before I complete content fully

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone terrified of taking practice exams ?? I have been studying for months now and I cant seem to retain the information at all. Now its 2 months out from my exam and I am forcing myself to take practice exams but I am terrified that bad scores will kill my already low moral and that I will be wasting exams taking them before I complete content fully

I take my official MCAT April 1st, but the biggest relieve so far has been getting my score back after my first practice test a month ago. It was the NS diagnostic and I made a 508. Obviously not crazy impressive, but it felt great to know I was at least within reach of an acceptable score. But I was definitely scared and even after thought maybe it was a fluke, but overall it was a tremendous relief. Unless you are starting from scratch (which you aren't), you should be able to make a good amount of improvement in 2 months if you don't do too well. Getting used to the timing is a legitimate issue, so start taking timed practice after your first FL.

I take my official MCAT April 1st, but the biggest relieve so far has been getting my score back after my first practice test a month ago. It was the NS diagnostic and I made a 508. Obviously not crazy impressive, but it felt great to know I was at least within reach of an acceptable score. But I was definitely scared and even after thought maybe it was a fluke, but overall it was a tremendous relief. Unless you are starting from scratch (which you aren't), you should be able to make a good amount of improvement in 2 months if you don't do too well. Getting used to the timing is a legitimate issue, so start taking timed practice after your first FL.
I am just worried, I havent finished with content review and I keep forgetting stuff. I am just scared a bad score will destroy my confidence. Then I think I am lying to myself trying to convince myself that I should save them for the last month but i know the sooner the better..

Memorizing random bits of information doesn't help you much on the MCAT. It's more about applying your knowledge and understanding the bigger picture. Which is why doing practice exams is a much better way to study than doing content review over and over and over.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is exactly what is stopping me from taking any full lengths right now. I can't bear the thought of studying for months and STILL ending up doing bad.

Memorizing random bits of information doesn't help you much on the MCAT. It's more about applying your knowledge and understanding the bigger picture. Which is why doing practice exams is a much better way to study than doing content review over and over and over.
You know I hear this alot and i believe you trust me I do . But then I do a TBR physics question and they pull some weird relationship between 2 variables that I didnt know and I end up wishing I flash carded that and memorize it and I end up forgetting the important stuff like ETC chain details .

That is exactly what is stopping me from taking any full lengths right now. I can't bear the thought of studying for months and STILL ending up doing bad.
Trust me, I feel like im going to play in some Huge sports final that i have been preparing for months for , and I am terrified it will all blow up in my face.

You know I hear this alot and i believe you trust me I do . But then I do a TBR physics question and they pull some weird relationship between 2 variables that I didnt know and I end up wishing I flash carded that and memorize it and I end up forgetting the important stuff like ETC chain details .

Virtually everyone seems to be in agreement that TBR physics is beyond overkill for this new MCAT. If anything it is probably negatively affecting you because it is ruining your confidence and wasting your time with information that will almost certainly not be of use on the new MCAT. I would say you should just do a free diagnostic untimed (but still try to stay around 90 mins) and just get it over with so there won't be so much stigma associated with the test. If you bomb it, so what? There are people on the score spread sheet who made 490s on their first practice FL and 520s on their actual MCAT.

If you bomb it, so what? There are people on the score spread sheet who made 490s on their first practice FL and 520s on their actual MCAT.

This is the only part I would be careful about. Those are outliers and they also tend to have gotten those low scores early in studying and did a lot of subsequent studying to raise their score. Generally speaking, Kaplan FLs are deflated by 5-15 points, but do yourself a favor and think 5 as opposed to 15.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the only part I would be careful about. Those are outliers and they also tend to have gotten those low scores early in studying and did a lot of subsequent studying to raise their score. Generally speaking, Kaplan FLs are deflated by 5-15 points, but do yourself a favor and think 5 as opposed to 15.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say that this is a very common issue. It's a bit of a trap: many people are tempted to put off taking practice tests until they feel like they've fully covered as much as possible. Then, there's a ton of pressure to score well on the first practice FL - after all, they've covered all of the material, so they should be doing well! When these people almost-inevitably score lower than expected, they find it especially demoralizing. But the truth is that it's very hard to excel on the first or even second FL unless you've been doing tons of good passages under pressure already. You can know all the science in the world and still have timing, endurance, or general reading carefulness issues.

The solution to this is to start taking at least occasional practice tests before you feel 100% ready. I usually advise taking the first one about 4-6 weeks from the start of content review. This way, a low score doesn't "feel" as bad, because you know there's material out there that still needs to be covered. But you get used to the MCAT style, start building endurance early, and get a feel for question types that you can answer strategically even when you don't have a ton of knowledge. There's a sentiment that taking a practice test before thoroughly reviewing all the content is a waste of that exam, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. The only wasted exam is one that isn't reviewed properly afterwards. You can learn a great deal from, say, a passage on the bicarbonate buffer system even if you've never heard of it in your life (which questions required knowledge? which ones could be solved straight from the passage? did any relate to other topics you HAVE covered, like equilibrium? etc.)

But tips for people who are in the middle of their prep (and 2 months out is plenty of time, by the way!) to help get over that nervousness:

- Make your first FL one that won't pressure you score-wise. There are unscored tests out there, even the AAMC sample; there are shorter diagnostics that might not freak you out as much if the score doesn't look great; if you don't want to do this and are still nervous, break a test into sections and take those gradually. Getting, say, a 123 on one section somehow doesn't do as much damage to morale as getting a 490 on a full exam. (Disclaimer: We all know that it's important to gauge your progress with accurate scoring! But if your alternatives are taking an unscored test or not taking any exams until it's too late, take the unscored exam. I can't possibly overemphasize how important it is to jump into the practice test part of your prep early).

- If this isn't appealing, just try not to focus on the scores of your first 1-2 FLs. This has already been said here, but your first FL score is not necessarily predictive of your eventual success. (Personally, after my first practice test, I was given feedback that my goal score would be "almost impossible," but ended up going 3 points higher.) There's such a massive amount of information that can be gained from the review of a full-length exam; it's too bad that we naturally get distracted by the numbers.

Anyway, good luck everyone!