Scared of starting out as a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Note true at all. Think of squares and rectangles. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are square. All interns are techs, but not all techs are interns. In PA, interns are permitted to do things that techs are not and at CVS interns are permitted to do things techs are not.

That does not mean interns should look down on techs, but there is certain expectation that their performance should be at a higher level.

I think imperial frog was saying that she is a tech because she doesn't have an intern's license - she is saying that her intentions make her an intern regardless of actual titles. Kind of like how Sparda improperly counseled patients since "he knows better", even though it's not okay.
 
Question to all of the retail Rphs and techs out there: when a script comes in to the pharmacy, and the tech enters the information in to get the script filled, when does the pharmacist get a chance to look at all of the meds the patient has? I'm asking because from what I saw (which was not very much of since I only had to do 50 hrs in retail for IPPE), isn't it the tech who enters in most of the information, while pharmacist verifies the information on the label is correct? Does the pharmacist go back and look into the profile of every patient with whom's label they come in contact with? 😕 I'm asking because I just have questions about all the responsibilities techs have in retail without them actually having that knowledge that a pharmacist or even a pharmacy student has.

It depends on what kind of computer and workflow system you have. My system allows that once I see the bottle, I scan it, look at the clinical review screen for possible drug-drug or drug-disease interactions, put in intervention codes, check medication profile, then do a final quality assurance check -- right drug (matches NDC from bottle scan, visual verification of drug picture), right patient, right directions, and even look at previous price and insurance to see if there were changes. Being the busy bee that you are in retail, you rarely get to spend as much time as you'd like reviewing medication profiles and interactions, but I always try to see if the patient has had the medication before to know whether to counsel, see if any changes in dose and price and alert the patient to it, and whether they have other medications already in the will call bin to keep them together.
 
Note true at all. Think of squares and rectangles. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are square. All interns are techs, but not all techs are interns. In PA, interns are permitted to do things that techs are not and at CVS interns are permitted to do things techs are not.

That does not mean interns should look down on techs, but there is certain expectation that their performance should be at a higher level.

I never have looked down on techs as either an intern or pharmacist. My job would require considerably more rum without them. However, unless I'm mistaken, Kirby said she was a tech but then later said she was an intern simply because her intentions were to go to pharmschool. Unless she's in a state with some funky laws, that would not make her the intern she claimed to be.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't mean to mince words even more, but in some states, you are not considered eligible to be a Pharmacist Intern until after you pass your P1 year.

In either case, I have worked at CVS for a year as a technician, completed a year of schooling, and I have interned as well. The PIC and staff pharmacists have put me on the spotlight to counsel patients and "treat me" as a pharmacist. I have been in situations where I field questions and concerns from other technicians and trainees. At the end of the day, though, I won't pretend to hold the same status, experience, or purview.

Even if you have verified prescriptions in the pharmacy as an intern, a pharmacist or preceptor has always been in the pharmacy as your safety net; as a person to confer with whenever you have questions, concerns, or simply someone to glance at for reassurance. It is certainly different when you are the only figure of authoratative knowledge in the room. At that point, whenever you find an odd-ball or confounding situation, you only have your own initiative to fix the problem. It's a lot different when you are in a position where you are the last line of defense, and where you are personally responsible and accountable for the events of the pharmacy. That realization alone is going to be a little bit unnerving at the very least.

In any case, I hope the newly-minted pharmacist had a good first day. Best of wishes, and post back about your experience if you read this!

--Garfield3d

Thanks to everyone for your input! I've been working now for a few days as a pharmacist at Walgreens, and I'm happy to say I'm getting used to it. I'm still rather slow but I'm getting more efficient, while being as careful as I can. There are a few procedural things I still need to learn but I'm getting there 🙂
 
I had to pull this thread up again. I remember reading this as a P4 thinking that I could relate. No, until you get YOUR license you cannot!! Well, I have only spent 4 hours as a pharmacist alone. Tomorrow and Saturday I will open and close my store, just me and a tech. Two days, two different stores, its the life of a new grad who floats. I don't, but boy I am nervous.

Thank you to all who replied to this thread in the past.👍