Scared Outside my mind!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRdelgado

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,

I just graduated high school and im going to go to tarleton state university to get my prereqs. I honestly do not know what to expect. Im crazy scared. Any advice? I need all the help i can get! Anything i need to prepare for beforehand? I love the profession though! My aunt is a very successful pharmacist. She loves it. I just love to help people and the medical aspect of it! I love to learn but i get sidetracked sometimes! My parents are both deaf and my passion and desire to succeed is enormous! Ive sat back my whole life and watched them suffer and tried to help as much as i can. This is my chance to help! Please any advice does not go unnoticed. PLEASE I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Get ready to study hard and work diligently in all of your pre-pharmacy prerequisites. You will be taking courses such as general biology, human anatomy and physiology, mathematics through calculus and possibly statistics, and let's not forget...chemistry. Oh yea...that's a big one...the big C. Prepare to master and learn as much as you can in chemistry, especially if you don't have a solid chemistry foundation from high school. Chemistry is, by far, the one course you will see for 4 semesters (2 years) as a requirement for pharmacy school. You will be taking two semesters (1 year) of general chemistry and two semesters of organic chemistry.

Considering the extensive coursework and scientific material you will be exposed to, my biggest advice for you is to take all of your coursework seriously. Learn concepts, do not memorize. Look at overall patterns and see the connections between the various courses you will be taking. Realize that the material in one course can surely be applied in others. For example, your knowledge of basic chemistry can and will certainly help you in understanding biology and physiology. Likewise, knowledge of bio will help you in physi.

Most of these courses, especially chemistry, require you to complete problem sets and not regurgitate information on exams like you would in a history or art class. Therefore, the most important thing to do in courses that are mostly problem solving, such as chem and calculus, do the problems the professors assign. In college, professors do not care if you complete the problems they assign because it is up to you to learn. However, you will be unable to master the material without completing problem sets. So, get to that. Other courses, mostly the biological sciences, will consist mostly of reading and understanding concepts about cells, the human body, etc... In these types of courses, you won't have problem sets, but you will have to understand concepts. Try not to memorize.

As for your schedule, try to balance it. Do not take too many difficult courses at once unless you can handle it. Most counselors and even professors say you should not take more than two science courses per semester. Try taking a mix of difficult, moderately difficult, and easy courses. That way you will not burn out. Go to lectures on time and sit in the front row. Follow this last piece of advice very well. Siting in the front row enables you to understand and get a better idea of what the professor is teaching. You will also be less inclined to get distracted like you would if you sit in the back. I always sat in the front row in my courses and it helped me in my interactions with professors.

Don't worry about being afraid of starting a new experience in college. I am starting pharmacy school in about 5 weeks after having been on vacation for almost 8 months and I am apprehensive as well. Just like you, I don't know what to expect in terms of coursework in pharmacy school, challenges, obstacles, new experiences, etc... I know everything I've suggested here is easier said than done and I understand that because I am also in the same position. It's one thing to follow recommendations from someone who is one step above you, but until you haven't been through the experience yourself, it's quite difficult to truly understand what a new academic endeavor is like. People tell me you'll be fine in pharmacy school and this and that, but until I don't go through the experience, it's not that easy to understand. Same thing with you. I can give you this advice about coursework and expectations, but until you don't actually start, you're not going to see exactly what i'm talking about. Your motivation and desire to excel will serve you well.

Good luck to you in college and good luck to me in pharmacy school this fall. :laugh:

Study, study, study... that's all you need to do to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely second what DoctorRX said about sitting in the front row, especially if you are easily distracted. It also reminds your professors that you are in class. And that's another thing. Don't miss class! Especially not labs!

This may not answer your question directly, but I think it's a very valuable piece of advice. Are you a pharmacy technician? Yes, you can get into pharmacy school having never set foot in a pharmacy before, but many schools like to know that you will know what to expect. If you cannot get a job as a tech, try to get some volunteer experience.

Good luck to you. One of my instructors always said before starting lab, "Have fun."

Mod, please move this to pre-pharmacy.

And to answer you, there's nothing to be scared about. As long as you study somewhat hard (and acquire efficient study skills that don't make you study too much unnecessarily), you'll do fine. Also, have you considered doing a 0-6 program instead? I think some schools do accept you as a sophomore (I'm sure you're not going to want to wait a year). In a 0-6 program, you're guaranteed acceptance into the pharmacy program as long as you keep the required gpa (usually around a 2.7-3.0, can be higher or lower).

As for efficient study skills, my main advice to you is this: don't read the book unless you have to. Go to class. Take the notes. Read the notes a few times. Do the questions, and only then read the chapter if you really don't understand something.

Thanks. Could you give me like a guideline of what classes i should take one semester and what classes the next? just to help me get an understanding. I really appreciate the advice. If yall could give me your email so if i have any questions beyond this i could ask? Is there time to have a personal life too while im doing these prepharm prereqs?

I just graduated high school and im going to attend tarleton state university to get my prereqs. in for pharmacy school. I got advice from someone telling me that i should enter the 0-6 program but i have no clue what it is? How do i do it? Could you give me like a guideline of what classes i should take one semester and what classes the next? just to help me get an understanding. I really appreciate the advice. If yall could give me your email so if i have any questions beyond this i could ask? Is there time to have a personal life too while im doing these prepharm prereqs?

Contact the pharmacy advisor at your college or use the Search feature. There is tons of info you will find, also the FAQ thread will answer many questions. There is lots of time for personal life during undergrad, lots and lots, just prioritize.

Wheter or not you have a personal life all comes down to how well you manage your time. Around exam times it might be impossiable but it really depends on the person.

Merged threads from multiple forums.

OP, in the future please don't post the same thread in multiple forums. It helps keep the boards cleaner. Also, the pre-pharmacy forum should be for any topics before you enter pharmacy school and not the pharmacy forum. I know you are new and takes a little while to figure out the rules.

Start with chemistry right away. Take a chemistry course every semester. That's some important stuff right there.

Hi its me again. Will i be able to manage a full time job? How does this schedule sound as my 1st 2 years of pre requisites for pharmacy school?

SEMESTER 1 SEMESTER 2 CH 301 -- Principles of Chemistry I CH 302 -- Principles of Chemistry II M 408C -- Calculus I* CH 204 -- Intro. to Chemical Practice BIO XXX-- Gen Biology for science majors BIO XXX-- Gen Biology for science majors ENG 306- Rhetoric and Composition Statistics--- 3 credit hours** from Group A: 3 credit hours from Group A: 6 credit hours
17 credit hours

16 credit hours

SEMESTER 3 SEMESTER 4 BIO 325--- Genetics CH 310N-- Organic Chemistry II CH 310M-- Organic Chemistry I CH 210C -- Organic Chemistry Lab PHY 302K - Physics I MIC XXX-- General Microbiology PHY 102M - Physics I Lab MIC 1XX- General Microbiology Lab† E 316K ----- Masterworks in Literature from Group A: 3 credit hours from Group A: 6 credit hours

16 credit hours

16 credit hours

+ Group A Courses to fulfill the requirements for the Doctor of Pharmacy Degree:
American History 6 hours American Government 6 hours (GOV 310L & 312L suggested) Fine Arts and Humanities elective 3 hours (art, drama, architecture, music, etc.) Social and Behavior Sciences electives 3 hours (anthro., sociology, psychology, etc.)

Hi its me again. Will i be able to manage a full time job? How does this schedule sound as my 1st 2 years of pre requisites for pharmacy school?

SEMESTER 1 SEMESTER 2 CH 301 -- Principles of Chemistry I CH 302 -- Principles of Chemistry II M 408C -- Calculus I* CH 204 -- Intro. to Chemical Practice BIO XXX-- Gen Biology for science majors BIO XXX-- Gen Biology for science majors ENG 306- Rhetoric and Composition Statistics--- 3 credit hours** from Group A: 3 credit hours from Group A: 6 credit hours
17 credit hours
16 credit hours

SEMESTER 3 SEMESTER 4 BIO 325--- Genetics CH 310N-- Organic Chemistry II CH 310M-- Organic Chemistry I CH 210C -- Organic Chemistry Lab PHY 302K - Physics I MIC XXX-- General Microbiology PHY 102M - Physics I Lab MIC 1XX- General Microbiology Lab† E 316K ----- Masterworks in Literature from Group A: 3 credit hours from Group A: 6 credit hours

16 credit hours
16 credit hours

+ Group A Courses to fulfill the requirements for the Doctor of Pharmacy Degree: American History 6 hours American Government 6 hours (GOV 310L & 312L suggested) Fine Arts and Humanities elective 3 hours (art, drama, architecture, music, etc.) Social and Behavior Sciences electives 3 hours (anthro., sociology, psychology, etc.)

Looks like the standard prereq schedule. Shouldn't be too bad.
A full time job? I don't think studying full time and doing a full-time job will be good for your grades. You'll probably be spending about 30 hours a week on school-related stuff (inside and outside of class). If you add 40 hours work, that's 70 hours a week combined (that's 10 hours a day if counted for 7 days or 14 hours a day if just counted Monday-Friday.

I'm not sure anyone can tell you that with this schedule you can or cannot maintain a full-time job. It all depends on how much you are capable of. I knew people who completed the prereqs with similar courseloads who did not work, those who had families and jobs, those who cared for aging parents, etc. You may fall anywhere in that spectrum of similar responsibilities and only you know how determined you can be to succeed. Just remember that it may be easier to get your feet wet, and pick up a job if you find that you can handle it, rather than going through the hassle of quitting a job in the first month or so if you are unable to keep it up.

Good luck to you!

17 credit hours
16 credit hours

16 credit hours
16 credit hours

+ Group A Courses to fulfill the requirements for the Doctor of Pharmacy Degree: American History 6 hours American Government 6 hours (GOV 310L & 312L suggested) Fine Arts and Humanities elective 3 hours (art, drama, architecture, music, etc.) Social and Behavior Sciences electives 3 hours (anthro., sociology, psychology, etc.

These exact courses are fine if you are planning to go to the University of Texas at Austin, which is where you copied this list. You stated though that you are going to Tarleton. You will need to make sure your classes will transfer. If you plan on going to UT's pharmacy school, check out the following link.

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/students/advising/equivs/taru.html

These are the courses at Tarleton you need to fulfill the requirements at UT. Of course, you really should talk with an advisor at both UT and Tarleton because some of these courses have prerequisites that are not listed on the UT website. For example, you can't take Calculus without having taken Trig or Pre-cal and you can't take either of those courses without having taken College Algebra. You may have dual credits to allow you to roll straight into Calculus, but these are some of the things you should take into consideration. This is why you should talk with an advisor.

I didn't read anyone else's yet...sorry if I repeat. Good for you!! Ok...here is my advice...still enjoy college...it is the best time of your life (in my opinion...so far :) ) Join clubs and get involved. You only get to do college once and you will miss it when it is over. You are young and you have fun times ahead...be careful not to get TOO distracted while you are having fun. You can do both, you just have to make good decisions. DON'T skip class...EVER. It's SO tempting in college because you are on your own and no one will get on to you. These prereqs WILL be challenging...but they are do-able. You just have to work hard. Teachers will notice you if you are working hard (trust me, there will most likely be a lot of slackers in your freshman classes...depending on your school of course, but there were in mine and the students that wanted As and were willing to put in the work definitely stood out and I think that is beneficial in many ways). The teachers tell you how to succeed in their class...be sure to read the syllabus carefully, let the teacher get to know you (mention your goals), if you have an assignment read the instructions carefully because they include basically (usually) exactly what you need to do well. Read the material before class. Take notes and listen. Review the material after class - notes, handouts, any homework questions on the subject...keep on top of things.

And HAVE fun! Extracurriculars are just as important to make a well rounded student...I did so much fun stuff when I was in college my first few years.

Ok you are trying to work full time? Hmm...I work full time and take 2 classes a semester (Calc and Gen Chem I / Gen Chem II and Bio I) and that is challenging for me. I would suggest you not try more than 2 hard classes in a semester (and MAYBE 1 easier class - but maybe not even first semester...you want to get the feel for college classes. They are NOT like highschool...they require more work)

Good luck and just keep trucking...whenever you feel like it is forever away...just keep going. You will make it eventually and you will be so proud of yourself (and so will your parents) and you will have a stable career for the rest of your life. :thumbup: