Scared to death from all the SDN super applicants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serendipity007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, really... I am not applying till next year, but I have gotten increasingly worried about my GPA because I have been unconsciously (erase that: very consciously) comparing myself to SDN. I have a 3.42 science and 3.57 cumulative in a dual degree engineering/humanities program. My science GPA is probably not going to go more than 3.50 but my cumulative might improve (crossing fingers)

I know I haven't taken the MCATs yet, so it's kind of hard to 'chance' me. But, I have been reading a lot about MCATs on sdn and will prepare soon for March/April test next year.

My biggest point of concern is GPA. This is what I have been reading on SDN: 3.4 science? Try Carib or DO? No MD for you!

Pretty much... Any thoughts please?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, by the way, I have been working at a research lab for the past 2 years and will continue it most likely. Multiple publications and outside fellowships plus research scholarships. Multiple conference and poster presentations. Volunteered as a tutor for elementary school kids in the community. Helped at a Trauma ward. Some shadowing.

I also work part-time 25 hours a week managing a store throughout the year (during the academic year as well). Plus, I have a leadership position on a couple of important organizations on campus. I feel my research background is pretty strong. If I can pull a decent MCAT score, I might have a good chance at an MD program. But, SDN freaks me out with my GPA........... :(

It used to freak me out as well man. I just don't come here unless I have a legit reason. That being said, you're definitely above carib and can definitely do med. Just apply to the right ones and broadly. And lets say worst comes to worst, and you don't get in anywhere. Just apply next year. Life moves on, do your best. Get started on your apps asap!

Members don't see this ad :)
It used to freak me out as well man. I just don't come here unless I have a legit reason. That being said, you're definitely above carib and can definitely do med. Just apply to the right ones and broadly. And lets say worst comes to worst, and you don't get in anywhere. Just apply next year. Life moves on, do your best. Get started on your apps asap!

Thanks dude! Except I will graduate in 2014, so I will be applying next summer around this time (possibly slightly earlier because of the earlier applications advantage). I was just scared of all the "don't even think of MD because you have a 3.4/3.5 GPA." Provided I still need to take the MCAT, MD programs are still my first choice (Big statement to make, but I hope to study really really hard for the MCAT. That's my best shot.)

I am different than a traditional applicant because I work 25 hours of week part-time throughout the year (to pay for my tuition) on top of research and a full courseload. I guess that's part of the reason my GPA is relatively low. I will also take some of the blame personally... I will admit I am not the smartest guy on the planet, but I try hard.

Thanks dude! Except I will graduate in 2014, so I will be applying next summer around this time (possibly slightly earlier because of the earlier applications advantage). I was just scared of all the "don't even think of MD because you have a 3.4/3.5 GPA." Provided I still need to take the MCAT, MD programs are still my first choice (Big statement to make, but I hope to study really really hard for the MCAT. That's my best shot.)

I am different than a traditional applicant because I work 25 hours of week part-time throughout the year (to pay for my tuition) on top of research and a full courseload. I guess that's part of the reason my GPA is relatively low. I will also take some of the blame personally... I will admit I am not the smartest guy on the planet, but I try hard.

Don't let the mcat intimidate you. My biggest asset going into it was not giving a damn anymore so I kept my calm. Especially when studying don't let the fear hype affect you. When people are wasting time going "omg omg mcat" you should be ignoring them.

Just for the record I rarely if ever logged onto SDN until I was done with it. I got unnecessarily stressed from it.

Don't be intimidated by SDN. Certainly, it seems like everyone on has 3.7/36+, but its great for getting ideas for EC's, and answering general pre-med questions.

Looking at your considerable amount of research, work experience, and general application, I have no problem thinking that you will be accepted to an MD school. All things considered, I wouldn't be too worried if I was in your shoes. :)

SDN has a selection bias for D-bags. Don't trip, and easy does it. I "only" had a 3.5 and go to a top tier school. So can you...

No, really... I am not applying till next year, but I have gotten increasingly worried about my GPA because I have been unconsciously (erase that: very consciously) comparing myself to SDN. I have a 3.42 science and 3.57 cumulative in a dual degree engineering/humanities program. My science GPA is probably not going to go more than 3.50 but my cumulative might improve (crossing fingers)

I know I haven't taken the MCATs yet, so it's kind of hard to 'chance' me. But, I have been reading a lot about MCATs on sdn and will prepare soon for March/April test next year.

My biggest point of concern is GPA. This is what I have been reading on SDN: 3.4 science? Try Carib or DO? No MD for you!

i'm going to be a second time applicant this year and believe me, I feel the same way. I have a sub-30 mcat, and last year I got 3 MD interviews. if I had better interviewing skills I might be starting med school this fall haha. don't let it psych you out, remember, it is a HOLISTIC review process. no matter what anyone says, it is the truth. work hard this year, even if you're not taking science classes, it is SO SO important to have an upward grade trend.

Dont let it get to you. This is the Internet, alot of people lie about their stats. Some guy claimed to be a glassblowing major on here a couple weeks ago and when asked to post a picture of his artwork, he posted a picture from some glassblowing company on facebook that clearly wasn't his. Why would someone lie about things like that? Who knows. Just keep your head up and work hard and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.

Oh, by the way, I have been working at a research lab for the past 2 years and will continue it most likely. Multiple publications and outside fellowships plus research scholarships. Multiple conference and poster presentations. Volunteered as a tutor for elementary school kids in the community. Helped at a Trauma ward. Some shadowing.

I also work part-time 25 hours a week managing a store throughout the year (during the academic year as well). Plus, I have a leadership position on a couple of important organizations on campus. I feel my research background is pretty strong. If I can pull a decent MCAT score, I might have a good chance at an MD program. But, SDN freaks me out with my GPA........... :(
Don't you mean a research luh-BOAR-uh-tor-ee? :laugh:

Loved that show man.

There are always going to be people who have a more competitive application than you. Always. The sooner you come to terms with this, the sooner you can stop comparing yourself to others, the sooner you will feel much better about your chances wrt applying to medical school.

If you apply to the right schools, you'll be accepted. That's what you should be most concerned with right now. Good luck!

Dont let it get to you. This is the Internet, alot of people lie about their stats. Some guy claimed to be a glassblowing major on here a couple weeks ago and when asked to post a picture of his artwork, he posted a picture from some glassblowing company on facebook that clearly wasn't his. Why would someone lie about things like that? Who knows. Just keep your head up and work hard and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.

and i believed that guy too : (

Don't let the mcat intimidate you. My biggest asset going into it was not giving a damn anymore so I kept my calm. Especially when studying don't let the fear hype affect you. When people are wasting time going "omg omg mcat" you should be ignoring them.

Just for the record I rarely if ever logged onto SDN until I was done with it. I got unnecessarily stressed from it.

Gotcha. Funny enough, that's the same argument somebody used to convince me that orgo wasn't impossible. She was right.
Don't be intimidated by SDN. Certainly, it seems like everyone on has 3.7/36+, but its great for getting ideas for EC's, and answering general pre-med questions.

Looking at your considerable amount of research, work experience, and general application, I have no problem thinking that you will be accepted to an MD school. All things considered, I wouldn't be too worried if I was in your shoes. :)

Ha, that makes sense. I guess I was downgrading myself really fast. I kept reading thread after thread and was like nopeee, no chance at all at US med schools. I think I was overloading myself with too much SDN.... Someone can relate? :D
i'm going to be a second time applicant this year and believe me, I feel the same way. I have a sub-30 mcat, and last year I got 3 MD interviews. if I had better interviewing skills I might be starting med school this fall haha. don't let it psych you out, remember, it is a HOLISTIC review process. no matter what anyone says, it is the truth. work hard this year, even if you're not taking science classes, it is SO SO important to have an upward grade trend.

Good luck!!!!! I hope you do well this time, buddy! Yeah, I am probably gonna go to the career center to have a couple of mock interviews. I am not too good with them either. Don't get me wrong, I am a very social person. But, being good at interviews is a different beast. One needs to be quick on their toes. I learned that the hard way once.

Junior year. Eeeeek. I am taking like all upper level BME and English courses. Guess that happens when you do a dual degree. Hahaaha at least the English courses keep me sane! :)
Aaaaah really? That's just very funny and sad at the same time! Poor guy. I am sure SDNers pounced at him. We're very mean :smuggrin: Not to say, he didn't deserve it :p
Don't you mean a research luh-BOAR-uh-tor-ee? :laugh:

Loved that show man.

Yeah, man! LOVED it 10 years ago and was listening to the theme song last week. Brought back sooooo many memories :) Good times!
and i believed that guy too : (

Hahahahah it's ok! I am worse than you when it comes to believing everything what people say. ExhibitABCDEF: That's what lead to this thread! :laugh:

Wait, that glassblowing guy wasn't for real? Damn.

Wait, that glassblowing guy wasn't for real? Damn.

There's a way you can find the user's profile from the facebook picture link, I simply did that and it took me to some professional glass blowing company's facebook page and the info there didn't match his so I'm pretty sure he was a fake. I didn't call him out on it or anything because I could care less lol

I'd drop the engineering major and just finish your humanity program with another minor or something..:laugh: to boost dat dere gpa.

lol wut, do you have a link to that thread

I'd drop the engineering major and just finish your humanity program with another minor or something..:laugh: to boost dat dere gpa.

Hahaha good idea, but despite the fact I want to get in med school, I don't want to compromise what I really love studying. Engineering is my primary major and although I love my humanities major too, I wouldn't drop engineering just to get a gpa boost so med schools look favorably upon my app.

Hopefully my gpa doesn't take a hit (than it already has) :)

Your GPA is fine, don't worry.

And don't let this site bring you down. Half of the people on here are either trolls or lying about their stats. I can easily make an MDapps account and say I have a 3.92 from Yale and a 41 MCAT. People on here lie more than you think. Why? Don't ask me.

Didn't read most of the replies.

OP, you have to understand that SDN has a lot of Elitist's that are pure D-bags, and some of them like to fabricate their GPA a bit, and a lot does not. I mean, what do you expect? They are actually COMMITTED to becoming a doctor, that's why they are active on online forums to enhance their knowledge on getting into medical school. Majority of the ACTIVE people on SDN WILL become doctors. Just don't worry so much, and it wouldn't hurt to apply to a couple schools this semester right?

And do a lot of EC's to make up for the GPA. Good luck man!

Your GPA is fine, don't worry.

And don't let this site bring you down. Half of the people on here are either trolls or lying about their stats. I can easily make an MDapps account and say I have a 3.92 from Yale and a 41 MCAT. People on here lie more than you think. Why? Don't ask me.

E-Fame, cause they're don't get enough attention IRL. :laugh: