scared to take NBME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards21aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have about 3 weeks until my big day and I kind of want to see how I'm progressing with an NBME, but I don't want to get freaked out by my score. Like everyone else, I want to score as high as possible, but I don't think I'd fit into the upper echelon of SDNers who can pull off 800s on NBME *cough*dwayne*cough* :). Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Man up. You have 3 weeks until your exam and most people are not at their peak 3 weeks out, so don't get bummed out if your NBME score isn't what you'd like it to be. Take it, and redirect your efforts based on both your score report and how you felt when answering a question from a specific subject. D-Wade is inspiration that all of the questions can be answered correctly.

BTW, I said "man up" with a cigarette dangling out of the corner of my mouth and one thick mustache.

So, I have about 3 weeks until my big day and I kind of want to see how I'm progressing with an NBME, but I don't want to get freaked out by my score. Like everyone else, I want to score as high as possible, but I don't think I'd fit into the upper echelon of SDNers who can pull off 800s on NBME *cough*dwayne*cough* :). Any thoughts?

Thanks for the compliment :)
But do not fear your score. Your score and breakdown is a valuable tool to help you tailor your studying to the maximum efficacy over these last 3 weeks. And it's good practice to not fear the real exam.

As for getting every question right, my review of this last NBME is revealing that is far from reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel exactly the same way and have the same amount of time left. so lets both stop being punks and just take it :)

Well, I got a hold of one of the exams and took a paper copy of it to see how I would do. Now I just have to put the answers in online and see what the score correlates to. I guess my biggest problem is inconsistency, so I don't want to get a score that I'd be "ok" with and then not be as motivated these last 3 weeks....if that makes sense?

There is no formula available to correlate your raw score to a predictive NBME/USMLE score. There are some guesses that might get you in the general ballpark (i.e., probably good for a 200-220 on that NBME, which probably means good for a 190-230 on the real test) but that's as good as you'll get. Taking the NBME online and letting them go through the statistical analysis of your answers is the only way to get a better score estimate.