SCCO Interview Essay Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optstudent1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that have completed your interview at SCCO, do any of you know what the interview essay question is?

From what I gather from the forum, it seems like it is related to professionalism and other quality. I wasn't sure if the topic has changed throughout the year?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Members don't see this ad.

yeah its that ... it really doesnt matter at all- the entire point is to make sure that the person who wrote the essays in the application is the same person that writes that essay- it gets read for about 2 minutes .... basically they just want to make sure you can think on your feet, spell words correctly, stuff like that
dont stress over it

For those that have completed your interview at SCCO, do any of you know what the interview essay question is?

From what I gather from the forum, it seems like it is related to professionalism and other quality. I wasn't sure if the topic has changed throughout the year?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

When you all get there they take you into a room with a paper at every seat. You just sit down and write. I figured that all the essays were the same but afterwards I talked to a girl about it and found out that the essays were different. So it is just random. Mine asked about the biggest adversity that I have had in my life and how I overcame that adversity and how that changed my life. Don't worry too much it was easy

Members don't see this ad :)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

We signed a statement saying that we are not allowed to release what the essay prompt is to other applicants. So don't you think sharing is a form of cheating? :rolleyes:

You really don't need to stress about the prompts AT ALL. You only have to write one-page (front side only) and they give you 30 minutes to do it. The topic does not need to be researched ahead of time and (like cunikki said), they just want to know that you can think on your feet and convey your point. I was looking around, and it seemed like most people finished within 15-20 minutes.

Well said iVision.
I notice thay you always object when students discuss certain topics such as the OAT reading comprehension as well as the topic of this thread, I do not see any wrong, in spite of that it is helpful for other students.

I notice thay you always object when students discuss certain topics such as the OAT reading comprehension as well as the topic of this thread, I do not see any wrong, in spite of that it is helpful for other students.

She's bringing up an ethical point and there is nothing wrong with that. All applicants should be at the same playing field. By telling you what the essay questions are beforehand, you get the advantage of planning out your essay-- an advantage that others didn't get.

Not to mention, I know for a fact that some schools have faculty members read these boards.

Also, the school specifically states they do not want their prompts to be released. Divulging that information is a breach in contract and compromises moral integrity. This is different from discussing the vague topics of the RC section in the OAT. People don't have passages and questions memorized and plastered onto threads.

It is wrong when you signed paperwork stating that you would not disclose any information regarding the essay question. ivision is right. Sorry to disappoint.

All I need to say is it does not require any prior research. It is easy, no worries.

Just as above posters are reiterating, you sign an agreement at SCCO not to talk about the essay topics. The unspoken code of professional ethics tells you to keep to your word.

As for my past comment on the OAT, that to me seems obvious. For many people it is a "grey area." I'm not expert on ethics but I do recognize the world is full of "grey areas" and it is your mode of navigation thru these "grey areas" that separate those with integrity and those lacking such.

This is straight from the OAT "Rules of Conduct":

3. You will maintain the confidentiality of the test. You will not reproduce or attempt to reproduce test materials through memorization, recording, or other means. You will not provide information relating to test content that may provide unfair advantage to other examinees. By way of example, you will not make use of or participate in the electronic posting of information regarding test content or answers.

I was never trying to be rude. That would be a waste of time and energy. You interpret it your way as I will on my own. Ever get fired from a job? Understand what lawyers do? It's little "grey areas" like this that get you in trouble. Always. :eyebrow: Doesn't hurt to question--- everything.

Just as above posters are reiterating, you sign an agreement at SCCO not to talk about the essay topics. The unspoken code of professional ethics tells you to keep to your word.

As for my past comment on the OAT, that to me seems obvious. For many people it is a "grey area." I'm not expert on ethics but I do recognize the world is full of "grey areas" and it is your mode of navigation thru these "grey areas" that separate those with integrity and those lacking such.

3. You will maintain the confidentiality of the test. You will not reproduce or attempt to reproduce test materials through memorization, recording, or other means. You will not provide information relating to test content that may provide unfair advantage to other examinees. By way of example, you will not make use of or participate in the electronic posting of information regarding test content or answers.

I was never trying to be rude. That would be a waste of time and energy. You interpret it your way as I will on my own. Ever get fired from a job? Understand what lawyers do? It's little "grey areas" like this that get you in trouble. Always. :eyebrow: Doesn't hurt to question--- everything.

I agree that it's way better to be safe than sorry when it comes to stuff like this. Regarding the OAT RC topics though, I personally don't think knowing the general topics would give an unfair advantage to future test takers. The questions asked are based strictly on the passage... not outside info. But you're right in the sense that it's just not worth the risk to divulge too much (any?) info about it.

Oh I see, you are right, I agree