SCCP vs UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahall8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both South Carolina College of Pharmacy (Charleston Campus) and University of Illinois at Chicago. However, I'm having a really hard time deciding where to go. I loved both schools so much when I interviewed but won't have the opportunity to visit again before I need to make my decision. I would be considered in-state at SCCP versus out of state at UIC. I 100% want to do clinical work in the future. UIC seems to prepare more for students who are looking to do clinical work and research than SCCP and is technically a "higher ranked school." Do these rankings and focuses justify paying out of state at UIC? In the long run, when trying to get good rotations and a residency, will going to UIC help me more? Or are all pharmacy schools on the same playing field? Any advice is much much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

UIC is in my neck of the woods. My advice is to choose the program that will cost you the least.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard more about UIC than SCCP, but if I was to choose based on geographic location (including weather), I'd choose Charleston over UIC in a heartbeat. That is one gorgeous city!

I don't know if rankings and focuses justify paying out of state though. It really depends on how much more you're talking about. Also, UIC is in a pretty saturated area, which may mean they have more trouble placing students on awesome rotations (I have no idea if this is true, it just happens in some places with a lot of nearby pharmacy schools). I'd ask both schools specifically about how both schools are doing in retaining and growing their rotation sites and what kinds of rotations you can expect as a student.

I don't think all pharmacy schools are a level playing field at all, but that doesn't always mean it's worth paying twice as much for out of state, either.