Schedule of Med School?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdCadore

Pre-Something Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does the schedule for medical school?

Is it a Fall and spring semester of classes?
or is it a year long schedule.

How does it work?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the school. If they're on semesters, the classes are probably on semesters, and if they're quarters they stay on quarters. Some classes last all year, some for only part of the year, etc. In short, it all depends on the school. Usually you can go to a particular school's website and they will have schedules posted (either they're there for prospective students, or if you do a little looking around you can usually find it). Sorry if that wasn't much help, but I've found it really depends on the school.

At my school, we have four blocks per year for the first 2 years, with a clinical block that continues through the whole year.

Look at this picture for a graphic representation:

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/curriculum/images/curriculum_chart_20060619.jpg

First year we had Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Biology of Cells and Tissues, Major Organ Systems, and Host Defense. This year we have Integrated Neurosciences, Multisystem Disorders and Cancer, System Disorders I, and System Disorders II.

Like thinknofu3 said, it varies WIDELY by school.

Members don't see this ad :)
thinknofu3 said:
I think it depends on the school. If they're on semesters, the classes are probably on semesters, and if they're quarters they stay on quarters. Some classes last all year, some for only part of the year, etc. In short, it all depends on the school. Usually you can go to a particular school's website and they will have schedules posted (either they're there for prospective students, or if you do a little looking around you can usually find it). Sorry if that wasn't much help, but I've found it really depends on the school.

Quoted for truth.

Typically you get the summers off after the first two years, and you go year-round for the last two years. Beyond that, check the school's website for details; everyone is a little different.

Looque said:
Quoted for truth.

Typically you get the summers off after the first two years, and you go year-round for the last two years. Beyond that, check the school's website for details; everyone is a little different.

Usually it's only the summer after 1st year you get off. The break between 2nd and 3rd year is usually pretty short (4-6 weeks or so), and most of it is used for studying for Step I.