1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Schedule of Med School?????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by EdCadore, Jul 30, 2006.

1. EdCadore

EdCadore Pre-Something Student
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    How does the schedule for medical school?

Is it a Fall and spring semester of classes?
    or is it a year long schedule.

How does it work?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thinknofu3

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think it depends on the school. If they're on semesters, the classes are probably on semesters, and if they're quarters they stay on quarters. Some classes last all year, some for only part of the year, etc. In short, it all depends on the school. Usually you can go to a particular school's website and they will have schedules posted (either they're there for prospective students, or if you do a little looking around you can usually find it). Sorry if that wasn't much help, but I've found it really depends on the school.

4. amy2003uva

amy2003uva Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    At my school, we have four blocks per year for the first 2 years, with a clinical block that continues through the whole year.

Look at this picture for a graphic representation:

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/curriculum/images/curriculum_chart_20060619.jpg

First year we had Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Biology of Cells and Tissues, Major Organ Systems, and Host Defense. This year we have Integrated Neurosciences, Multisystem Disorders and Cancer, System Disorders I, and System Disorders II.

Like thinknofu3 said, it varies WIDELY by school.

5. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Quoted for truth.

Typically you get the summers off after the first two years, and you go year-round for the last two years. Beyond that, check the school's website for details; everyone is a little different.

6. Rogue_Leader

Rogue_Leader Silent Sentinel
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Usually it's only the summer after 1st year you get off. The break between 2nd and 3rd year is usually pretty short (4-6 weeks or so), and most of it is used for studying for Step I.