Schedule to take MCAT and how much time to prepare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperaeroplane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I am a post bac finishing up my first year doing Gen Chem and 2 semesters of Bio and my math requirement. As I look to my next year I still have a semester of Biology I, a year of Physics, and a year of Organic Chemistry to take. But I am unsure of how to schedule taking these courses so as to maximize my prep for the MCAT, which I really need to do well on.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone has taken Bio Physics and Orgo in a year but also had enough time to prepare to do well on the MCAT during the summer. Out of the two schools I could take these classes at, one offers a semester of Physics and Orgo over the summer. And then I could take the next two semesters in the fall. The other university only offers the whole year of Bio, Physics, or Orgo over the summer and the same courses during the school year.

1.) Which option would you suggest in terms of coursework timeline? (Taking one of the subjects during the summer, or doing them all during the school year?)
2.) I need to take the MCAT in time to apply to schools next year. What is the latest I can take it?
3.) I am not a very good standardized test taker, but I do show significant improvement after a lot of work. How long do I need to spend on MCAT prep?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

So I am a post bac finishing up my first year doing Gen Chem and 2 semesters of Bio and my math requirement. As I look to my next year I still have a semester of Biology I, a year of Physics, and a year of Organic Chemistry to take. But I am unsure of how to schedule taking these courses so as to maximize my prep for the MCAT, which I really need to do well on.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone has taken Bio Physics and Orgo in a year but also had enough time to prepare to do well on the MCAT during the summer. Out of the two schools I could take these classes at, one offers a semester of Physics and Orgo over the summer. And then I could take the next two semesters in the fall. The other university only offers the whole year of Bio, Physics, or Orgo over the summer and the same courses during the school year.

1.) Which option would you suggest in terms of coursework timeline? (Taking one of the subjects during the summer, or doing them all during the school year?)
2.) I need to take the MCAT in time to apply to schools next year. What is the latest I can take it?
3.) I am not a very good standardized test taker, but I do show significant improvement after a lot of work. How long do I need to spend on MCAT prep?

Honestly, 3 months. I studied 4 weeks but I went 12-16 hours a day.
Month 1, Grab do content review and SOME practice passages.
month 2, passages, problems, start taking a test once a week, along with review weaknesses,
month 3, All practice tests/ review and you'll kill it.

As far as materials. I won't recommend any because they're all more or less the same. If you really want my opinion, I'll give it.