Schedule---What do you think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summer 1
Botany
Botany Lab
Politics (requirement)
Ochem Lab

Summer 2
Intro to Cell Biology
Ochem 2
Ochem 2 Lab
Zoology Lab

Fall
Human Anatomy &Physiology
Zoology
Ecology
History
Into to Creative Writing (300 level)

So do yall think this is a good schedule??? honest opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

I go to Texas State University. (Formerly SWT)

Members don't see this ad :)
come on guys what do you think? any advice? has anyone done this or had harder classes?

I register tommorrow. What do yall think? Will I get totally burned out if I take all this at one time.

you will do well, don't worry. if you can't handle this, how do you handle med school? :thumbup:

Honest opinion? You are psychotic.
two (for a total of 4) labs in the summer is stupidity... unless you
1) are a genious
2) like pain.

You need to do well in o-chem. (AND learn it for the MCAT!!!)
Why risk it with that schedule?

Will I get totally burned out if I take all this at one time.
yes.

I have to take those labs in the summer. I want to take Ochem 2 in the summer because the sam eprof who taught Ochem 1 is teaching it. And plus I have to have at least 6 hours in the summer to get financial aid. I am not a psychotic.

Will you be doing any extracurricular activities over the summer as well?

Originally posted by bubbajones
Summer 1
Botany BS class and you know it
Botany Lab Likewise
Politics (requirement) Hard only if you can't write basic essays
Ochem Lab Not difficult, just takes time to run rxns

Summer 2
Intro to Cell Biology Yawn.....
Ochem 2 Not fun. The only difficult class on this list
Ochem 2 Lab See 1st lab
Zoology Lab Yawn..... :sleep:

Fall
Human Anatomy &Physiology Interesting class. May be somewhat difficult
Zoology :sleep:
Ecology :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
History :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Into to Creative Writing (300 level) It depends on your writing ability

So do yall think this is a good schedule??? honest opinion.

Well thanks for your input. And just for your info Botany is required for Bio majors at my school.

No pinkertinkle just going to school and working part time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bubbajones
I have to take those labs in the summer. I want to take Ochem 2 in the summer because the sam eprof who taught Ochem 1 is teaching it. And plus I have to have at least 6 hours in the summer to get financial aid. I am not a psychotic.

This is just a guess... are you taking 17 hours in the summer?
If so, may I suggest you trim it down a bit?

Summer 1
Botany - 3?
Botany Lab - 1?
Politics (requirement) - 3
Ochem Lab - 1

Summer 2
Intro to Cell Biology - 3
Ochem 2 - 3
Ochem 2 Lab - 2
Zoology Lab - 1

I am already behind because my advisor told me to take all my chem classes befor my bio classes. I have not taken any bio classes and I am a soph bio major. So if I want to graduate on time I have to buckle down and study.

has anyone done this kinda schedule in the summer?

I attempted the full year of organic chem + labs.
I did not work.

I would not suggest it to anyone. Your BMCP grades are too important to risk.

I took two classes with labs in one summer session while working and I actually didn't think it was that bad. However, I think Organic would have made it harder, and it also depends on what the politics class is like. It could be fun, and actually serve as a break from the science classes. That depends on the professor, the class, etc.

dude or dudette were you not having difficulty with some of your classes already? I seem to remember you posting that you received a soso grade for some pre-req and you are attempting this insanity? whatever.

Should be doable (not sure about summers though b/c 2 months for 17 credits? = too much). Shouldn't that be like 8 hours/day in class? Insane...

I'll be taking for FALL 04

Neurobio
Microbio
Lipid metabolism (advanced biochemistry)
Epidemiology
Genetics??

+research/part time job and extracurriculars.

Will I burn?

chemistry is harder than biology. Im not the greatest at math that is why I hated chem so much, but liked Ochem.

Don't underestimate how hard cell biology can be. Granted, I had an awful professor, but I found it to be much, much, much harder than O.Chem. Be careful... taking an extra semester won't keep you out of med school, but making ****ty grades will do that.

Is Cell Bio just memorization? What were you study techniques? Any advice?

does bmcp grades stand for biology,math, chemistry, physics?

duh u didnt know that?:wow: jus jokin

I did have a >20 credit hours summer schedule. but that was the ONLY summer I took classes

quantitative chemistry (5)
JAVA programming (4)
political science 100 (5)
English second writing(5)
Japanese langauge(1)
Linear algebra (3)

Made only a 3.4++

so yeah, better take less classes and get your GPA up up UP! then to lower it. It's hard to raise it when you have tons of credit hours accumulated later.

Originally posted by premedi-kid
Should be doable (not sure about summers though b/c 2 months for 17 credits? = too much). Shouldn't that be like 8 hours/day in class? Insane...

I'll be taking for FALL 04

Neurobio
Microbio
Lipid metabolism (advanced biochemistry)
Epidemiology
Genetics??

+research/part time job and extracurriculars.

Will I burn?

that depends on how well you can organize your time. if you don't think you will be able to handle the load, i would advise you to drop one/two classes. sure, adcom will look at your class schedule. but, i think your gpa is a lot more important. you want to make sure that you get good gpa's. hope that helps. good luck.

Here's my 2 cents--I took psyc100 summer session I, womens health session II, and human sexuality during the last 3 week winter session.

This summer I am taking physics I and bio I the first session, and physics II and chem II the second session. Why? Failed bio I fall 2003 because I was very ill, the professor refused to let me make up the 2 exams I missed regardless of the fact I was in the emergency room. Withdrew from chem II this semester because with over half of the class failing-including the A+ chem I kids, I'd rather take my chances this summer with a guy who isn't Mr. Burns (from the Simpsons) with nothing better to do with his time than fail his students.

Summer 1
Botany
Botany Lab
Politics (requirement)
Ochem Lab
**MY OPINION: Drop Politics, take in the spring of the year, or in the winter.

Summer 2
Intro to Cell Biology
Ochem 2
Ochem 2 Lab
Zoology Lab
**MY OPINION: Drop Cell Bio, take in the spring semester.

Fall
Human Anatomy &Physiology
Zoology
Ecology
History
Into to Creative Writing (300 level)
**MY OPINION: Not bad, just stick to studying.

I don't know when you intend to graduate, but if it's this fall, consider a spring semester. If you wanted to graduate this spring, see if you can walk, and finish out your degree in the summer. More time is better than just take it and not do well (this coming from the 2003 HS graduate, who will finish her BS December 2005)...

is politics hard? is cell bio harder than chem 1 and 2??

SHOULD I TRY AND CLEP OUT OF HISTORY??