Scheduling 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've decided on EM and now I'm trying to put together my schedule for next year. Can anyone tell me if residencies require step 2 results before they consider an application? Or does it depend on the residency? (i'm trying to ride my step 1 score as long as possible)
Also, how early do interviews begin? I've seen mostly late november through late january. I'm trying to set up and international rotation and don't want to shoot myself in the foot by being unable to make an interview.
Thanks for any help
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs do not require step 2 before they will consider your application...

And most interviews start in November - February... I would say most people do the bulk of their interviewing in Dec/Jan.

Q

As a somewhat related, although tangential, question - do you recommend swapping an EM elective into 3rd year and completing a 3rd year elective early in fourth year in order to gain some early exposure to EM?

Pros (as I see them):
Earlier exposure, assurance that "this is what I want to do with my life" before submitting ERAS, etc.
If it is what you want to do, might help you maintain focus through the hell that 3rd year can be

Cons:
You aren't a fourth year yet, and don't have quite the clinical skills/clinical knowledge that those who are grading you are used to seeing, possible risk of a lower grade

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
streetdoc said:
Hi guys,
I've decided on EM and now I'm trying to put together my schedule for next year. Can anyone tell me if residencies require step 2 results before they consider an application? Or does it depend on the residency? (i'm trying to ride my step 1 score as long as possible)
Also, how early do interviews begin? I've seen mostly late november through late january. I'm trying to set up and international rotation and don't want to shoot myself in the foot by being unable to make an interview.
Thanks for any help
streetdoc

We offer an interview on the basis of the app and step 1 scores. I think everyone does. I intend to post a new policy in March that starting with the 2007 match we will require the CK and CS (or the COMLEX equivalents) from our interviewees before ranking them in February. I expect several other programs in EM and other specialties to do this as well.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be any consensus as to Step II in reagards to EM applications. I think the best thing you can do is email the respective PD at the programs you are interested in and tailor you plan to that. For an example of how muddy these waters are, I was interested in both Texas Tech El Paso and Parkland in Dallas, and emailed the PDs at each. TT has a standing policy of applicants having completed Step II before ranking them (as discussed in above post), however the PD at Parkland told me in no uncertain terms that with a > 240 USMLE I should not take Step II till after match. So odd that there is such diverse opinions on this topic.

Of the 24 programs I applied to (mainly South and Southeast US), Texas Tech-El Paso, LSU-Shreveport, and Arkansas stated that they require Step 2 scores in order to be ranked.

-Texas Tech backed off of that policy but will enforce it next year (again, see post by BKN)
-Shreveport wants your scores by your interview but made exceptions for some candidates (but still requires them by rank list day)
-I declined my interview at Arkansas but their website still states they require Step 2 scores to be ranked

Regardless of your Step 1 score, I reccommend you take Step 2 before 12/31, as many programs are now requiring your scores to rank you!!

As far as interviews, I had a couple in November; but most are scheduled in Dec/Jan.

Good luck!

mfrederi said:
TT has a standing policy of applicants having completed Step II before ranking them (as discussed in above post), however the PD at Parkland told me in no uncertain terms that with a > 240 USMLE I should not take Step II till after match. So odd that there is such diverse opinions on this topic.

Mike was apparently looking after your interests. I'm looking after my own. He's a nicer person. Apparently he didn't pay attention when I trained him . . .or maybe he did. :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, as STW said, I backed off once it was made clear to me that it was too late for some of the applicants to take the CS in time to get the scores by mid-Feb. Next year though the hammers comin' down.

Also, if you got >240 on MLE 1, it's pretty unlikely you'll hurt yourself on CK.

Cheers.

socuteMD said:
As a somewhat related, although tangential, question - do you recommend swapping an EM elective into 3rd year and completing a 3rd year elective early in fourth year in order to gain some early exposure to EM?

Pros (as I see them):
Earlier exposure, assurance that "this is what I want to do with my life" before submitting ERAS, etc.
If it is what you want to do, might help you maintain focus through the hell that 3rd year can be

Cons:
You aren't a fourth year yet, and don't have quite the clinical skills/clinical knowledge that those who are grading you are used to seeing, possible risk of a lower grade

What do you guys think?

We don't let 3rd years take the EM elective. EM is medicine on steroids. what we are teaching you is to use your skills in a rapid, accurate manner. We don't have time to teach you how to do a pelvic, basic pediatric jollification etc.

I think the lower grade thing is possible too.

My recommendation: Do your EM first or second rotation 4th year. If you like it and decide it's for you, schedule 1 tryout later in the year at a good program and get SLORs from both rotations.

Thanks guys!
I appreciate the info. Our school requires that CK and CS be completed by 12/15. It seems that even if I delay as long as possible, programs will still get my scores in time.
One more question-
how much say do you have in WHEN you get interviewed. Can you pick dates or do they send you an email saying "you have an interview on______."
And does submitting your ERAS sooner mean you will get interview offers sooner?
Thanks again,
streetdoc

streetdoc said:
Thanks guys!
I appreciate the info. Our school requires that CK and CS be completed by 12/15. It seems that even if I delay as long as possible, programs will still get my scores in time.
One more question-
how much say do you have in WHEN you get interviewed. Can you pick dates or do they send you an email saying "you have an interview on______."
Thanks again,
streetdoc

My experience is that they offer you multiple dates and you choose. As you get later in the interview season, they may actually have limited dates available.

Wook

streetdoc said:
Thanks guys!
One more question-
Thanks again,
streetdoc

Submit your ERAS as soon as you can! You will be offered many dates to choose from (typically in EM at least). If you apply late, many programs will not have any more interview slots!