Scheduling 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arsenalgunner

Duke of New York, A#1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to solicit a little free advice from you guys who've already been through it...

I have recently decided to pursue ophtho & am trying to set up my 4th year schedule in order to have everything done by the time CAS apps are due (9/5). I suppose this means getting 3 letters of recc & hopefully getting Step 2 scores into programs before interview season starts. Since my school doesn't allow elective rotations in the 3rd year, this gives me 2 months to do these 4 things.

In a perfect world I would have 4 months before apps were due & I would:
1. Take 1 off to study for & take Step 2
2. Do ophtho rotation at home program (1 recc)
3. Do ophtho rotation at away where I'd like to go (2nd recc)
4. Do a Sub-I (3rd recc)

So you see my problem... I would really welcome any suggestions on the best way to address this problem & which 2 of the above 4 things I should do prior to app deadline. Bear in mind my Step 1 score is ok & probably matchable, but I should probably get an improved Step 2 score submitted. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as Step 2, if you really want to take it (I did and it helped) I would study during your last 3rd year block. Sure it sucks to be busting your butt that month when everyone else in your class is taking it easy, but it does pay off.

I would then do my two ophtho rotations to get letters, to be on the safe side I would even shoot to get 2 letters from my home program so you know you have enough letters if time runs short. You can always send a late LOR in by yourself to each program (granted it isn't optimal and is difficult but do able).

Lastly that 3rd LOR, I wouldn't mess with a sub-I, you have already or will do your medicine and surgery rotations during 3rd year. Get someone that got to know you on those rotations to write a letter. In my opinion this letter means all most nothing, so as long as it doesn't say anything bad it is golden.

Getting your app in time is a must, so try to not let LOR hold you up. Hope this helps and if anyone else has any advice please pass it on.

MR1,
Great advice. Thanks a million for your help.

Trying to solicit a little free advice from you guys who've already been through it...

I have recently decided to pursue ophtho & am trying to set up my 4th year schedule in order to have everything done by the time CAS apps are due (9/5). I suppose this means getting 3 letters of recc & hopefully getting Step 2 scores into programs before interview season starts. Since my school doesn't allow elective rotations in the 3rd year, this gives me 2 months to do these 4 things.

In a perfect world I would have 4 months before apps were due & I would:
1. Take 1 off to study for & take Step 2
2. Do ophtho rotation at home program (1 recc)
3. Do ophtho rotation at away where I'd like to go (2nd recc)
4. Do a Sub-I (3rd recc)

So you see my problem... I would really welcome any suggestions on the best way to address this problem & which 2 of the above 4 things I should do prior to app deadline. Bear in mind my Step 1 score is ok & probably matchable, but I should probably get an improved Step 2 score submitted. Please help!

I agree with previous post - definitely need your home ophtho program to know you well. Step2 is debatable, depends how good your step1 score was and how likely you will improve. If you scored above 240, I don't think I would even consider taking a month to study for step2, I would get that away rotation. As for #4, I don't think the sub-I would count for much at all.
In summary, I would do (assuming you got a decent step1 score):
1) home rotation
2) 2nd home rotation or away rotation
3) study for step2 - If you ace it, then send the scores in as an addendum to your app.
4) sub-I