Scheduling away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiecornflakes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me know if there's an easy link to this info somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm thinking about scheduling my away rotations for summer/fall. Problem is, some of the programs use VSAS and some don't. I figure since these are high volume times for away rotations that I should apply to more than one program. How does it work if you apply to a program independently and get a spot but also apply to a VSAS program?

It seems like in VSAS you won't get more than one spot (which makes sense, of course) but if I also apply to independent programs I could end up with too many spots. One independent program says they expect you not to cancel.

Also it seems like I'll just end up paying a lot of application fees if I apply to some VSAS and some non-VSAS programs?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks a bunch. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you are doing aways to either 1) get letter from a big name, 2) try to impress a program you are interested in, or 3) get a better idea of if you'll like a program (best way to do it is by doing an AI), then I don't think you should be worrying about costs; just as you shouldn't worry about costs when it comes to interviewing -- this is an investment in your future.

So apply to as many programs as you wish both using VSAS and not. VSAS sure makes things easier, and if a program says you shouldn't cancel if accepted then you should only apply there if you intend to do an away at that institution. If you get a spot at an independent program and a program on VSAS, then I would decide which one you want and cancel the other as soon as possible. Make sure you cancel at least a month ahead of time so they can get the spot to someone who wants it.

It depends what you are going into, but in most specialties, assuming you apply early enough you should usually get what you want. There was only 1 program I applied to where you had to include a letter of intent and a LOR and they accepted only 4 people (neurosurg is different than most fields though). The only other piece of advice I have is make sure all your immunizations are up to date and the paperwork is ready so you don't get held back on that account.