Scheduling interviews in one area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missylee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience or known someone that was able to schedule interviews in the same region at around the same time. I've heard of programs being flexible with that but it seems like it would be hard to coordinate everything just right.

Specifically, I'm applying to some programs in LA. I live VERY FAR from LA. I would hate (well, not exactly "hate") to have one interview in November and a couple in December thus having to double expenses. Do you guys know how to deal with this?

Members don't see this ad.

yes someone please let us know...i'm wondering the same thing. I've received interviews at certain cities, but haven't heard from all the schools from the particular city. Should I just schedule the interviews, wait for the other schools, or give the other schools a call and say "i coming up, can you please give me an interview..." i figure the last suggestion is probably a no, but any other suggestions would be appreciated!

It's hard to coordinate many interviews, but you might be able to do a couple per trip. Many people (specifically in California, I noticed) would do all of their electives in the place they were hoping to match and then do all their interviews while in the area. The problem is that there interviews are on very specific days and many times all on the same days, necessitating picking an entirely different week not to conflict. Best advice is to try to group them together as much as you can and only fly one airline so you can get the miles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I did: It may seem kind of anal, but it worked.

Call or go to the websites of the programs you are applying to - they will post or tell you the dates that they are offering interviews this year. You can phrase your call something like this: "I am really interested in your program, and want to make sure I'm available when you are offering interviews. Would you mind telling me what your dates will be this year?" Usually they are very nice about giving this info. Get yourself a calendar and plot out the dates for all your potential programs. That way you can see if there are clusters of interviews for a specific area and you can strategically accept certain dates based on your desire to interview at another nearby program around that time too. I think programs are flexible about accomodating your schedule requests, but only so much, so it really helps to try to think ahead so you can minimize the amount of schedule changes you have to make.

Good luck!
Carrie

Great ideas, guys! Thanks alot.

*sigh* The reality of all this is making me a little nervous...:oops: