scheduling interviews on back to back days.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCDAWG

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im scheduling a lot of itnerviews that are a few hrs drive from each other on back to back days. I am hoping to finish interviewing by the early afternoon and to be able to make the pre-interview dinner at the next place that evening. On some Im even taking a few hr flight over time zones and hoping to at least make some of the pre-interview dinner. Are most people squeezing interviews together like this? Is it at all a big deal to miss pre-interview dinner at a few places? I know they are important, but I dont imagine missing it will really affect application all that much.

Members don't see this ad.

Im scheduling a lot of itnerviews that are a few hrs drive from each other on back to back days. I am hoping to finish interviewing by the early afternoon and to be able to make the pre-interview dinner at the next place that evening. On some Im even taking a few hr flight over time zones and hoping to at least make some of the pre-interview dinner. Are most people squeezing interviews together like this? Is it at all a big deal to miss pre-interview dinner at a few places? I know they are important, but I dont imagine missing it will really affect application all that much.

I don't know if it'll affect your application but you might be a little worn out at your interviews.

Plus, no way I'd miss the dinner just because I want to get to know the residents before I make a decision.

But if neither of those two issues bother you, then go for it! It'll save you some money!

Back-to-back interviews are tough for a variety of reasons and I wouldn't recommend doing them if travel is involved (although I recognize that may not be possible).

1. Interview days are exhausting. You're going to want to be rested and ready to kick butt on your next interview and if you have to race to the airport, hop on a plane, race to the dinner, back to the hotel and then up in 6 hours to make a 2nd interview, you're just not going to be on your game.

2. Because of the time of year that interviews happen, travel can be sketchy or even dangerous. I had a trip in Dec that involved flying into O'hare, driving to Madison, WI (normally a 3+ hour drive that took almost 7) then driving to St. Louis (normally a 7h drive that took almost 12) then back to Chicago (5 hour drive that took 7). Fortunately, I had booked some flex time to visit family and friends in there so I didn't miss any dinners or interviews, but if I had been cutting it close, I would definitely have missed something important.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm definitely doing some back-to-back (although all of mine are within about 2-3 hrs of driving, not flights)...I honestly think it's unavoidable if you want to go on a significant number of interviews due to all of the scheduling craziness. I think I am going to just let the resident organizing the dinner know that I may be running a bit late due to travel arrangements, and do the best I can. In an ideal world, every one of my interviews would have at least a day free before and after but that just isn't practical. I think you will be fine! And I don't think it will affect your interview- if anything, it would make you get a less complete impression of the program (which sucks, but you can always do a second look if you really need to later).

Last edited:
5 in a row, going to be a long week. (4/5 are in the same city, just a train trip in the middle. But still...)

5 in a row, going to be a long week. (4/5 are in the same city, just a train trip in the middle. But still...)
That is insane. :eek:

I have two pairs of interviews that are back to back with no day between. The first two are within a 45 minute flight from each other and not somewhere cold. The second two are in the same city. All of the others have at least one day in between.

not doing this...

my interviews are all over the country and I want to see the city, area, meet the residents, iron my stuff in between,and read up on the programs. I only have 3 weeks in jan to interview but I am jamming some in during my Dec rotation and a few in Nov. I think I can get 14 or so interviews in like this.

Normally I have about 2 interviews during a week over a 4 day process.
day 1-fly in, resident dinner
day 2-interview
day 3-travel to next site plus interview dinner
day 4-interview at program two

I have about 17 interviews now and need to cancel some as more interesting ones come in....

I would slow your roll a bit if you can....enjoy it.

I did two sets of interviews on back to back days and I wouldn't recommend it. By about halfway through the second day, I was done (mentally).

At one point I did 3 in a row. It was grueling, and I was exhausted at the end, but I ended up matching at the 3rd one. I did not go to any of the dinners either. Though many programs like you to show up for them, most wont hold it against you if you dont go, as they know that there are numerous reasons why people arent able to come. I personally found it easier to interview at the end of a long stretch, as all the usual questions had already been asked in every interview, so I had my responses down. Also, I was much more relaxed and able to better be myself. So my advise is do it if you want, I personally think it is benefial to do them in back to back stretches.