Scheduling Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepNimbus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am applying this summer, and will be out of the country until December because of a gap-year job in the Middle East.

Thus, I will not be able to go to interviews until December/January.
In what way can I request that my interviews be scheduled around the same time in late December? Also, is it detrimental to my chances to have interviews late?

I am sending in my application within the next few days as I will not have computer access soon for a couple months.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is not an ideal situation at all!

You will be putting yourself at a disadvantage as most schools try to interview and accept their top candidates before you will be back in December.

It might be possible, but many interview invites don't give a choice of dates. And once you start interviewing in late winter/spring you will be interviewing for a limited number of spots among a larger pool of applicants.

All that being said, if you are a strong applicant you will still get in somewhere!

I would let the schools you are applying to know that you will be out of the country until that time once you are granted an interview, if you can call them or have someone call them on your behalf. They'll give you the earliest date possible, but it still may not be that early. Keep calling if you need to change your dates because people change their interview dates a lot, and after Dec. 1, people may be turning down later interviews as well.

Like Hysteria said, it's not an ideal situation, but you have to make the most of it. With a little luck, you'll get your interviews on your ideal dates or around that time ::luck::

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a super applicant (4.0/23+), some schools may even offer you a phone interview! :D I know an orthodontist who had a phone interview with Loma Linda when he applied for DDS program.

I wish I were a super applicant, but I seem to more on the average side here.

Perhaps I could try to get off on one of the longer Islamic holidays.. which is what my work schedule is based on, like Eid, which runs from
Sunday, October 14 – Saturday, October 20.

When do interviews start? I'll also be in the States briefly during the last three weeks of July...

I wish I were a super applicant, but I seem to more on the average side here.

Perhaps I could try to get off on one of the longer Islamic holidays.. which is what my work schedule is based on, like Eid, which runs from
Sunday, October 14 – Saturday, October 20.

When do interviews start? I'll also be in the States briefly during the last three weeks of July...

Usually starts around late August/early September for most schools.