scholarship for non-honor students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peehdee

don't have one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am tired of seeing scholarships for 'excellent' students, those who are 'above' everyone else. geezz.. alot of them are jerks. when i get rich and old, i'm going to have a scholarship that will have a cut off, anyone who honors more than half of their classes will be excluded. instead it will be drawn from 'average' students who do other things besides just study and study.

to qualify:
1) must not be in the top 10 % of their class
2) must do extracurricular activity that is meaningful
3) well-liked by classmates
4) well-liked by professors
5) good personality

:)

Members don't see this ad.

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George awards the Susan scholarship to some kid who wanted to be an architect.

Hey Peehdee,

I got some nice but small scholarships and I am not the top of my class. I mean, I am somewhere in the swim of thngs but not the genius of the class (I don't think). I also pay out of state tuition so I thought that was a big help.

Sometimes just regular people get scholarships. I just hope I do well enough to get some second year ! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ah well
good to hear that :)

hope you get some more in the future.

woolie said:
Hey Peehdee,

I got some nice but small scholarships and I am not the top of my class. I mean, I am somewhere in the swim of thngs but not the genius of the class (I don't think). I also pay out of state tuition so I thought that was a big help.

Sometimes just regular people get scholarships. I just hope I do well enough to get some second year ! :)

i guess no one cares about this. lol

clearly everyone thinks 'grades' should be the top concern when scholarships are given out.

Well...I agree with you. It is easy to be objective with grades.

What you propose would be subjective, making selection more difficult.

Still, the reason many people talk about this is projection. I have not heard someone who wasn't already a 'gunner' use the word (gunner). They project it onto their classmates: like executives calling each other greedy, or models calling each other bulemic. It may only reveal personal tension and insecurity.

I've decided I'm going to endow a scholarship for 3rd year students that is based on one parameter. It will be determined by the following formula:

Step 1 score/GPA

I'll call it the "Brilliant Slacker Scholarship" or something like that. Thing is no one with a 4.0 could possibly get it.

Discobolus said:
I've decided I'm going to endow a scholarship for 3rd year students that is based on one parameter. It will be determined by the following formula:

Step 1 score/GPA

I'll call it the "Brilliant Slacker Scholarship" or something like that. Thing is no one with a 4.0 could possibly get it.

wut about p/f ppl? :confused:

carrigallen said:

Still, the reason many people talk about this is projection. I have not heard someone who wasn't already a 'gunner' use the word (gunner). They project it onto their classmates: like executives calling each other greedy, or models calling each other bulemic. It may only reveal personal tension and insecurity.

whoooa. that's deeeep.

so i take it you're a gunner since you used the word?

carrigallen said:

:confused:

CaptainJack02 said:
wut about p/f ppl? :confused:

Well it would be for my medical school and we still have grades.