scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.wang

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
please deleted thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you didn’t get a scholarship from SGU wouldn’t you just take the scholarship from Ross and go there? It’s a good school too for being a Carib med school.

If you didn’t get a scholarship from SGU wouldn’t you just take the scholarship from Ross and go there? It’s a good school too for being a Carib med school.
I got scholarship from SGU as well but just not as much as what Ross offers. SGU admission staff said they would try to match up to the amount that Ross offers to me, but I'm not sure whether I should wait to hear back for SGU since Jan classes are starting soon.

You should be able to create your own pro/con list about starting at Ross in Jan vs. SGU later. They're both basically peer schools. The only thing that would matter is if their difference in curriculum matters to you and how starting in Jan vs. SGU later affects matching.

Do you have any specific questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to create your own pro/con list about starting at Ross in Jan vs. SGU later. They're both basically peer schools. The only thing that would matter is if their difference in curriculum matters to you and how starting in Jan vs. SGU later affects matching.

Do you have any specific questions?
I searched a lot but I kinda want to know what others think about these schools. However I decided to go Ross after calculating the costs and all that. However SGU did match up to 120K scholarship to me this afternoon after I commit to Ross :,)

I searched a lot but I kinda want to know what others think about these schools. However I decided to go Ross after calculating the costs and all that. However SGU did match up to 120K scholarship to me this afternoon after I commit to Ross :,)
Hey same thing happened tome i just dont like the 71.5 and 72.5 term grade needed for sgu

I really don't mind about grading system, but Ross was so far aways from campus that throw me off a little bit
Actually, their campus isnt really their campus. They are borrowing the government's facility and upgraded it to their needs. The government occasionally host their own events there too. Outside of it looks kinda eh, but the rooms that Ross is occupying in there are nice imo. Not as big as compared to your US counterparts, but it's decent enough considering it's a third world country. I didn't have many expectations coming in tho, so maybe thats why. I heard rumors that they're trying to build their own campus near the Coverley Villages (aka housing), but not sure if those rumors are even anything close to being true. But thats the downside of Ross imo ever since they moved to Barbados. Without traffic, it takes like 20 mins to get to campus via bus they provide. If you go during traffic hours which is like 7-8 am, then you're looking at 45 mins to an hour time on the bus. I mean you could study on the bus, but i always hated that which is why i stopped attending in person lecture and switched to panopto aka watching it online. I would only go in for mandatory sessions/exams.

I'm not sure if this option is open to incoming first sem students, but current students are allowed to opt out of their housing and live closer to school if you wish. The rent of the school housing villas is kinda expensive and you can probably find something cheaper off campus, but I'm not too quite sure on that since it was planned for fall 2020 back when we were still on the island before covid hit. However, one of the benefits of living at Coverley was that everything that you need is within that place and there is security patrolling the Ross owned villas/ houses. The downside is that rent is expensive and the market/restaurants in the town center are expensive compared to outside. To me, before I left the island due to covid, i probably would have stayed at Coverley even if they gave me the option to move to a cheaper place outside there. Maybe at most, I'd move to the non ross owned villas in coverley to save on rent tho, but i find the convenience of everything in one place outweighing the lower rent. But that's just my personal preference.

Actually, their campus isnt really their campus. They are borrowing the government's facility and upgraded it to their needs. The government occasionally host their own events there too. Outside of it looks kinda eh, but the rooms that Ross is occupying in there are nice imo. Not as big as compared to your US counterparts, but it's decent enough considering it's a third world country. I didn't have many expectations coming in tho, so maybe thats why. I heard rumors that they're trying to build their own campus near the Coverley Villages (aka housing), but not sure if those rumors are even anything close to being true. But thats the downside of Ross imo ever since they moved to Barbados. Without traffic, it takes like 20 mins to get to campus via bus they provide. If you go during traffic hours which is like 7-8 am, then you're looking at 45 mins to an hour time on the bus. I mean you could study on the bus, but i always hated that which is why i stopped attending in person lecture and switched to panopto aka watching it online. I would only go in for mandatory sessions/exams.

I'm not sure if this option is open to incoming first sem students, but current students are allowed to opt out of their housing and live closer to school if you wish. The rent of the school housing villas is kinda expensive and you can probably find something cheaper off campus, but I'm not too quite sure on that since it was planned for fall 2020 back when we were still on the island before covid hit. However, one of the benefits of living at Coverley was that everything that you need is within that place and there is security patrolling the Ross owned villas/ houses. The downside is that rent is expensive and the market/restaurants in the town center are expensive compared to outside. To me, before I left the island due to covid, i probably would have stayed at Coverley even if they gave me the option to move to a cheaper place outside there. Maybe at most, I'd move to the non ross owned villas in coverley to save on rent tho, but i find the convenience of everything in one place outweighing the lower rent. But that's just my personal preference.
Thank you for your explanation, It's really helpful. I have 20k housing benefits, but it can only be apply to housing. I was told that I can't move out since I don't have kids even my husband is coming with me. I feel studying in class setting benefit me the most but I have really bad car sick. I am thinking to switch to SGU as it's not too late now, but they are going to take around 4.5 years to finish....

Thank you for your explanation, It's really helpful. I have 20k housing benefits, but it can only be apply to housing. I was told that I can't move out since I don't have kids even my husband is coming with me. I feel studying in class setting benefit me the most but I have really bad car sick. I am thinking to switch to SGU as it's not too late now, but they are going to take around 4.5 years to finish....
If you have housing credits, then by all means live at the housing they provide. I think they tell all incoming students they cant do certain things and it's not til later they change their wording around. But if you already have 20k housing benefits, just live there. As for in-class setting, everyone believes they are a class goer (me included). I thought I could only go to class and not do lectures from my room. However, going to lectures isn't really time efficient. I'll give you an example: pretty much everyone in my class went to class on the first day, then after the first exam, less than half and it keeps dropping and dropping. About 90% of students stop going to in-person lectures and watch from home at 1.5x to 2x speed. That's much more time-efficient.

Both schools are pretty much the same. I'd go to the school that'd leave me with less debt if i had to choose between ross vs sgu. Also finishing in 4.5 years is kinda a tossup too. If what you're saying is true and depending on which term you start in, you could end up waiting another 6 months to start residency, totaling 5 years. idk to me, that's not worth it. At ross, if you do the accelerated track and depending on the term you start, you can finish in 3.5 years. But again, the years shouldn't matter as long as you pass all your board exams and each semester.

If you have housing credits, then by all means live at the housing they provide. I think they tell all incoming students they cant do certain things and it's not til later they change their wording around. But if you already have 20k housing benefits, just live there. As for in-class setting, everyone believes they are a class goer (me included). I thought I could only go to class and not do lectures from my room. However, going to lectures isn't really time efficient. I'll give you an example: pretty much everyone in my class went to class on the first day, then after the first exam, less than half and it keeps dropping and dropping. About 90% of students stop going to in-person lectures and watch from home at 1.5x to 2x speed. That's much more time-efficient.

Both schools are pretty much the same. I'd go to the school that'd leave me with less debt if i had to choose between ross vs sgu. Also finishing in 4.5 years is kinda a tossup too. If what you're saying is true and depending on which term you start in, you could end up waiting another 6 months to start residency, totaling 5 years. idk to me, that's not worth it. At ross, if you do the accelerated track and depending on the term you start, you can finish in 3.5 years. But again, the years shouldn't matter as long as you pass all your board exams and each semester.
I've been flipping on which one to go now to be honest. I'll be start on this Jan so I do have to wait for another half year to start residency I believe. Thank you for all your information tho, it's really helpful