scholarships after being waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was accepted to my state school ($) but am on the waitlist at my top choice($$$$$$$$). If I do not recieve a scholarship from the private waitlisted school I may not attend. Is it possible to get a scholarship after being waitlisted or are those reserved for the "elite" right off the bat accepted students?
Anyone get a scholarship after being waitlisted?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did - a rather substantial one, too. I know a couple of other people in my class who were also on the waitlist and were offered a similar scholarship. So, its possible, but probably not all that common. Also - I wasn't offered the scholarship until a month or so after I was accepted, at which time I had already relinquished my other spot.

Thanks for your comment. I just don't see why a school that waitlists you would offer you a scholarship. Waitlisting someone is basically saying.... "Hey, your a good applicant but we have a lot better people ahead of you. If they all decide to go somewhere else then we will offer you a spot." With that being said, would it be safe to assume that if a "waitlistee" (if that is a word) is offered a scholarship, then everyone who was accepted without being waitlisted was offered one too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know many schools use merit scholarships as recruitment tools, so if a person turns the scholarship down it gets recycled for next year and is not given to another student that same year, which is pretty logical.

I imagine the possibility of need based scholarships is unaffected by waitlist vs regular acceptance.