Scholarships and less debt overpower a U.S. allopathic school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Reallyhopefulmed94

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys!

I am researching scholarships at SGU and AUC and I qualify for alot of them. I am just wondering if I were to get the scholarships, if the less debt would be a greater reward than going to a U.S. school and being far greater in debt. I am also asking this because I am not a URM, low MCAT(20th percentile), 3.4 science, 3.52 overall, but with great EC's(have my own nonprofit for the past 6 years dedicated to helping children without parents, hospital volunteer, pediatrician volunteer, genetic research experience) so I am doubting my chances of getting into a U.S. school but maybe the Caribbean is a better choice if I can get scholarships.

Thanks!
 
Nothing overpowers a US allopathic school. Loans are payable, you can pursue a more competitive specialty and earn more, but nothing is worse than spending 4 years for nothing if you don't match.

Going to the Caribbean is swimming in a competition with one arm tied behind your back. Sure you can finish the race, but you will be disadvantaged the entire way.
 
Last edited:
Hi guys!

I am researching scholarships at SGU and AUC and I qualify for alot of them. I am just wondering if I were to get the scholarships, if the less debt would be a greater reward than going to a U.S. school and being far greater in debt. I am also asking this because I am not a URM, low MCAT(20th percentile), 3.4 science, 3.52 overall, but with great EC's(have my own nonprofit for the past 6 years dedicated to helping children without parents, hospital volunteer, pediatrician volunteer, genetic research experience) so I am doubting my chances of getting into a U.S. school but maybe the Caribbean is a better choice if I can get scholarships.

Thanks!

No. Improve your application and apply to US schools. Don't go Caribbean, particularly for this reason.
 
Id rather be in a mountain in debt and be guaranteed a residency than have less debt but residency and country of practice up in the air, but that's up to you.