Scholarships anyone??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MsPurtell

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone is getting any scholarship offers with their acceptances. Tufts offered me 4K and that's it so far. I know BU had put me on their "scholarship list" at the time of my interview, but nothing was mentioned in the acceptance packet I received. I'm still not clear on whether or not we have to actually apply for scholarships or if the school we decide to go to will consider us for scholarships once we make our deposit.

Also, is anyone looking to outside sources for scholarships?

Thanks, Margaret

Members don't see this ad.

hi margaret,

i'm not sure if i'm correct on this or not, but i don't think you can/need to apply for scholarships from the schools, themselves. i think there are many private scholarships available outside of schools that you have to apply for to receive.

i just heard from uop, and they offered me a 24K scholarship over 3 years. i didn't apply for it. but that's all i've heard so far.

-wasabi007

I think we should change this post to who is the biggest Braggart!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow caligirl and wasabi that's a lot of $$$. Do you guys have outrageously high stats?

I'm wondering if I haven't heard anything about scholarships because three of the schools I applied to are state schools and may now have the $$$ to offer the students. But, BU and Temple are a puzzle to me. They seemed impressed with me on the interview, my stats are very high and my qualifications solid. Strange. :confused:

I guess I can't be too distraught because I'm not really planning to go to Temple or BU anyway. I don't think they could possibly offer me enough to pull me away from stonybrook.

Margaret

Well it seems like UOP is giving out a lot of scholarships. They may be offering to a lot of students so they will come to their school, which is good to know. Still you have to worry about the other $200K. I'm still going to apply for the military scholarship so my decision on acceptance will NOT be based on scholarships offered by schools.

Yeah I didn't even think that state schools had scholarships because it's funded by the state. So it doesn't make sense for them to give that money to out-of-state residents.

Check out the military scholarships. Their benefits are great. They will pay for 100% of your tuition and other expenses as well.

Big-Poppa, sorry if this seems like us bragging, but we're only stating what we've heard so far b/c other predents were interested. I am happy for everyone who got into dental schools and for those who got some financial assistance. I'm one of 7 children and paying for dental school is going to be pretty tough. I will have to finance 100% of it.

Ms. Purtell - THat's still a lot! Don't worry, you're fortunate to have receive any assistance from out-of-state schools. Don't forget that there are other scholarships and grants available. You just have to search for them.

Well good luck to everyone!!!! I hope you hear from all of your top choices!

hi all...

i don't think i have very high stats at all really. i think caligirl is right in that uop just offers lots of scholarships to attract people to the school. afterall, they are one of the most expensive dental schools in the country.

-wasabi007

well, so far i've gotten 4K from Tufts and the Dean's merit scholarship from penn (about 18.5k/yr)...even with that though, penn would still be about 42K/yr. w/everything, which is MUCH higher than my state school UNC, and even higher than ucla, ucsf, or uconn would cost me, so i'm still waiting on those....

I'm contemplating the national health corps scholarship, which pays for everything like the military but then requires you to practice in an underserved community...need to look into it more...anyone else considering this??

Waiting, I've looked into the NHSC. It is a very good program but there are a few problems. From what I understand, they cancelled the dental branch of it a few years back and just recently restarted it (2 years ago?). So what's going on right now is just a pilot program. They're only doing it at selected schools (don't know which, you'd have to ask the schools themselves if they're participating) and from what I understand, you're not eligible till after your second year. So basically you have to do well for 2 years at a school that participates, and then get nominated by your school, and then win it. For more info, check out <a href="http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/nhsc/" target="_blank">http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/nhsc/</a>

Waiting,

I'm going through the application process for the Health Professions scholarship for the Army and the Navy. You can choose any accredited school in the U.S. and they will pay for 100% of your tuition. However with the Air Force, you have to apply your first year in dental school. In addition to your tuition, they will pay for your books and fees plus $1058/month on living expenses. You have to serve a year for each year you're on the scholarship. Usually at the military hospitals located all over the U.S. plus some foreign countries. The min. # of years you must serve is 3 years.

hey,
so I got that little 4K from tufts too, nothing compared to their tuition bill..aack
but i guess if people can find ways to pay for school, we all can do it too, right?
Right now it looks like I am going to Penn, not a cheap school, bring on the debt!

Congrats to all accepted! and congrats to scholarship winners too!

For the military scholarships...
is there a deadline in completing them?

thanks for the insight into the NHS scholarship baccurso, I wasn't aware of the details you mentioned....thanks for the info on the military one too Caligirl...I'd contemplated it before but decided not to pursue it, although it's very tempting! :rolleyes:

Waiting,

You must have a really high GPA since you got the Dean's Merit scholarship at UPenn. Is it over 3.7??? Did you also get a scholarship from UOP since your GPA must be pretty high?

Like some of you mentioned, it sounds like UOP is offering alot of scholarships as incentive because of their high tution... I received a scholarship as well. It's funny, coz even with the scholarship, it's still more expensive than others schools I'm considering, even with out-of-state residency status (like UNC).
Side note: anyone know how easy/difficult it would be to establish residency at UNC? I've heard both...

Actually Caligirl, unlike Penn and Tufts, Pacific didn't offer me a scholarship...my gpa was 3.73 in undergrad at Cornell and DAT was 25, and I also had two years of med school under my belt which may have helped....

Flowerpot...I have two fourth year friends at UNC who established residency after their first yr. One did it through his wife, who started working in NC, and the other just made sure she got the ball rolling as soon as she moved here. I just became a resident myself, but from what I've heard it's not quite as easy to establish residency here as, say, Conn. or Cali but not impossible either. You just need to touch base with the office at UNC which handles residency status and ask them flat out exactly what you need to do to acquire residency status after one year (e.g., registering your car, getting a NC license, utility bills, registering to vote, etc.)...usually, the most important thing is you have to convince them that you didn't just move here for school or you need to be able to show that you plan on sticking around for a bit once you're done....

In case you haven't visited this page before, here's the link to the residency page at UNC:
<a href="http://www.ais.unc.edu/sis/admissions/grad/ncres.html" target="_blank">UNC residency page</a>

Hi waiting...do you mind telling why you are switching from Md to dentistry...I am contemplating both professions and would love to hear your opinions on both

Perhaps waiting seeks the greater challenge. I know one school at which the first year med and dent students are grouped together in gross anatomy. The MS1's are provided access to free tutors. The DS1's are left to fend for themselves.

Groundhog

can you tell us which school you are referring to? I am considering two schools that mix med and dental students. I want to make sure it's not one of them. I don't want to be treated differently from the med students for four years.

Margaret

MsPurtell.
Puget Sound ...Convergence Zone....Purple and Gold...Go DAWGS.