Scholarships available?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summertime02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew of any potential scholarships I could apply to in order to help me out with some $$$ for my first year of med school? I start in August and was just wondering if I was too late to apply for any scholarships and what was out there that I could apply to??? This med school thing is EXPENSIVE!!!:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, check with your state to see if they have any rural scholarships. Georgia has the Country Doctor Scholarship Program which pays up to $35,000 per year I believe. It has a lot of stipulations. If you don't practice in an area they designate as rural, then you'll pay a hefty fine. I think they double the amount of aid given to you and then add interest on all that was given. So it's not for someone who isn't committed!

The other thing is to check with your local hospitals and county commissioners. I received a very nice scholarship for my first year with an agreement that I would "consider" practicing there when I get through with residency. I'm not obligated to go back, but if I do, then the hospital will pay for my loans while I'm practicing there. They wouldn't pay them off at once. They will only make payments while I'm practicing. This is good because if I decide I don't like practicing there, I can just up and leave and start payments on my own or find someone else to make them for me.

Other avenues include the Armed Services Health Scholarship Program, National Health Service Corps, etc. You should talk to your financial aid office. Come to think of it, they should have already given you information on those. It is required by law that they give you information on NHSC. I don't think they are required to give you info on the Armed Forces scholarships though.

Given that you start in one month, it's unlikely that you will find any scholarships for this year. Start looking for scholarships to apply to for next year though! You should start doing that now.