Scholarships for Class of 2023 Admits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheval12

UW Madison c/o 2023!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I searched old forum posts and really could not find what I was looking for. I have been accepted to a couple schools and I'm still waiting to hear back from a few, but I want to be proactive and start thinking about finances now. Almost all of the research I have done into scholarships says you have to be already a 1st yr in vet school to apply (ie no chance of getting money awarded to you for your 1st year - only 2nd-4th). Is this right? Or am I looking in the wrong places?
If anyone has any resources on where to go to apply for stuff, that would be awesome. I know like 95% of them are small amounts ($1000, $2000), but I'd still be willing to apply for those as every bit helps.
Thanks in advance for any insight! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I searched old forum posts and really could not find what I was looking for. I have been accepted to a couple schools and I'm still waiting to hear back from a few, but I want to be proactive and start thinking about finances now. Almost all of the research I have done into scholarships says you have to be already a 1st yr in vet school to apply (ie no chance of getting money awarded to you for your 1st year - only 2nd-4th). Is this right? Or am I looking in the wrong places?
If anyone has any resources on where to go to apply for stuff, that would be awesome. I know like 95% of them are small amounts ($1000, $2000), but I'd still be willing to apply for those as every bit helps.
For the most part this is a general rule that is true. However there are exceptions. I know Penn does scholarships @staffwielder Iowa also sometimes does scholarship offers with acceptance. WSU does an application after you accept. Really depends on the school. However overall most scholarships are awarded 2-4.

Reactions: 1 user
For the most part this is a general rule that is true. However there are exceptions. I know Penn does scholarships @staffwielder Iowa also sometimes does scholarship offers with acceptance. WSU does an application after you accept. Really depends on the school. However overall most scholarships are awarded 2-4.

Gotcha. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to be committed, you can apply to non vet school scholarships. That was my "job" for the entire summer before school and it helped out quite a bit. A lot of the vet school specific scholarships are for current students only.

Most people who are offered a first year scholarship are awarded the scholarship outright and did not apply for it.

Reactions: 2 users
If you really want to be committed, you can apply to non vet school scholarships. That was my "job" for the entire summer before school and it helped out quite a bit. A lot of the vet school specific scholarships are for current students only.
Ya this is what I’m looking for! Where did you go to find ones to apply to?

Ya this is what I’m looking for! Where did you go to find ones to apply to?
I would recommend using scholarship blogs from various schools. Search on google for "inurl:external-scholarship" or "inurl: outside-scholarship" and it will pull up hundreds of .edu scholarship blogs. That's how I found the majority of the scholarships I applied for, but you can also use scholarship search websites with varying results.

Reactions: 2 users
I would recommend using scholarship blogs from various schools. Search on google for "inurl:external-scholarship" or "inurl: outside-scholarship" and it will pull up hundreds of .edu scholarship blogs. That's how I found the majority of the scholarships I applied for, but you can also use scholarship search websites with varying results.
Thank you so much!

Like the other people have already said, some schools do recruitment scholarships and you don’t apply to them as a first year. I was offered recruitment scholarships for Colorado State and Iowa State. I also know for a fact that Penn and Michigan State offer recruitment scholarships as well. Good luck!

You can find scholarships on the AVMA website External Scholarship Opportunities
I offer a scholarship which is on that list. I only had 18 students apply for it last year (2 winners). So hopefully more people find out about it and apply this year.

Reactions: 1 users
You can find scholarships on the AVMA website External Scholarship Opportunities
I offer a scholarship which is on that list. I only had 18 students apply for it last year (2 winners). So hopefully more people find out about it and apply this year.

Which scholarship do you offer that is on that list? just so we can narrow in to look specifically at what you offer!