Scholarships/grants for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AussieDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if there are many scholarships and grants for vet school or if most people end up paying full tuition price. I go to a private college that has about a $50,000/year sticker price but after scholarships, grants and a great financial aid package, I haven't had to pay anywhere near that. I am just wondering (hoping) that there are a lot of scholarships and grants out there to help with vet school. Do you fill out a FAFSA like with undergrad and schools offer a financial package based on income or does income have nothing to do with it?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There are some but there aren't usually worth huge amounts like in undergrad. Also many have very specific requirements...certain GPAs, belonging to certain kennel clubs/States or have to be a specific year with a certain interest.

You do fill out the FAFSA, but you're probably going to end up using mainly the Direct loan and Grad Plus loan. It is possible to qualify for the Health Professionals Loan and the Perkins but you need to submit your parents' tax info for those.

Main point: Don't expect an awesome financial aid package.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above: expect to pay for a significant portion of your education. That said, older vet schools (Penn, Cornell) are more likely to have gift aid available and in greater amounts because of alumni giving/endowment than a relatively recent school (Tufts, NC State). There is also the Army option (HPSP) to look into if you are interested.

I would be very proactive about finding the smaller awards that are available out there - it isn't going to cover your tuition or even close to it, but little bits here and there can help out with living expenses. Depending on your interests, you may qualify for various state, organizational or company awards. For example - your state veterinary association may offer $1,000 to a first year student. Your school may also offer small awards based on interest area, performance or vote.