Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panoramaelegant

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what kind of scholarships / free money are people being offered?

Members don't see this ad.

You've gotta look around, but I STRONGLY encourage you to do so.

Ask at the interviews about money, then ask again when you're accepted, then ask again no matter what they tell you.

Some schools have many scholarships - even if it's just a few thousand - and I've found that private schools have more money. A few thousand a year now equals mucho dinero later when you consider interest. Minorities get lots more, women might also have more opportunity than your run-of -the mill Asian or white male. Most importantly, almost all are considered on financial need, but you can find acception.

In direct answer, Jefferson offers a ton of money in various situations. Emory has a great gig, based on money donated to the school in '79. They give 7 people a full ride based on merit, not financial need. SUNY Stony Brook and Upstate have a little if you're good. And UMDNJ-NJMS offers a "Humanism" scholarship that is like 25K/yr for merit. Those are the ones I know of.

Good luck. Here's to free money.

dc

I never knew it even existed, but apparently the John A. Burns School of Medicine at the University of Hawaii had its own scholarship foundation for competitive residents. I found a letter in my acceptance envelope on Saturday, which noted that the Foundation was going to cover the entire cost of tuition for the first year! What an awesome surprise! :D

The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine includes a first-year merit-based scholarship offer to some candidates with the acceptance letter, both in-state and out. It covers roughly two-thirds of in-state tuition for the first year. I have heard there are also opportunities to receive other merit-based money after first year if you're a first-rate student. Clearly it's an inducement to attract candidates they want to come to OU. I had already fallen hard for OU and was ready to sign-up on interview day (great campus, fantastic people). The scholarship was just icing on the cake.