scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KAP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for anyone who has been awarded/will receive scholarships for dental school come this fall, name some off.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been offered scholarships at Tufts, NYU, and UOP. 6K for Tufts, 30K for UOP, 100K for NYU.

for all 4 years? how the hell did you get all those scholarships? what else have you done besides ur grades and DAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
KAP said:
for all 4 years? how the hell did you get all those scholarships? what else have you done besides ur grades and DAT scores?

wow im thinkin the same thing too.. i was surprised i didnt get offered scholarship for nyu..

maybe he "knows" someone :p

eapleitez said:
I've been offered scholarships at Tufts, NYU, and UOP. 6K for Tufts, 30K for UOP, 100K for NYU.
Is your dad the dean?

eapleitez said:

Wait...I thought Tufts only offers scholarships to those with at least a 3.5 GPA? And 100K for NYU :eek: I have never heard of such figures. Hey, everyone, do you know ANYONE else who was ever offered this much to attend a dental school? I'm not jealous eapleitez, just want to get to the bottom of this.

perhaps he's a minority.

i got a 6k merit scholarship from Tufts, it's only for the first year. If you want to continue getting the money you have to be in the top % of the class. They evaluate your whole application, gpa, dat, research, etc.

but ucla is still WAY cheaper!

starbright said:
perhaps he's a minority.

Please. So is that the answer anytime something out of the norm is the case.

What next? Sea dragons swallowing entire boats in the Bermuda triangle?

I'll never understand dental school admissions. I see some people with 3.8s having trouble getting in and then there are people with 3.0s getting 100K scholarships and getting into schools like UCLA. Hey, congrats :thumbup:

It's not unheard of. I got the same scholarships, except for the Tufts one. I don't know anyone in any school and my dad is not the dean. I think schools look at other things besides grades and DATs, like community service and extracurricular activities.

Dynomite said:

maybe.

Members don't see this ad :)
heshyn2000 said:
Is your dad the dean?

One of my friends at UOP was offered $200k for NYU, but after calculating the cost of living and out-of-state tuition for his wife to attend school in NY (plus the fact he didn't like NYU), it still wasn't worth it to him in the end. He was told his scholarship was based on the fact that he had been doing research for the past 6 years.

I got a 5K scholarship per year for all four years at Baylor. I find a 100k scholarship to any school a little hard to swallow, but I guess it might be possible.

Dynomite said:

ummm being a minority definitely helps with scholarship opportunities

i don't really think that was a racist or out of the norm statement, that's just how it is and could quite possible be true

superchris147 said:

So does having parents with connections, or better yet parents that pay for all your schooling so that you don't even need to worry about scholarships. Also, there are private scholarship endowments that have very strict selection criteria...criteria that often eliminate minorities from consideration. At Baylor, there are private scholarship endowments set up by Mormon practicing dentists strictly for only Mormon/Utah dental students.

bloodygums said:
I got a 5K scholarship per year for all four years at Baylor. I find a 100k scholarship to any school a little hard to swallow, but I guess it might be possible.
Possible? Yes. Penn offers 1/2 tuition scholarship for all four years, I think it ends up being like $23,000 per year, close to $100,000 at the end of 4 years.

For NYU--with tuition like theirs, $25,000 a year should cover about 1/2 tuition too.

superchris147 said:

i don't really think that was a racist or out of the norm statement, that's just how it is and could quite possible be true

thank you.

superchris147 said:

If you're talking about need based scholarships or minority scholarships, yes being a minority may help. I don't think minority status does extra for people when it comes to merit/academic scholarships. It would be good to specify what types of scholarships we're talking about instead of generalizing.

duh? said:
If you're talking about need based scholarships or minority scholarships, yes being a minority may help. I don't think minority status does extra for people when it comes to merit/academic scholarships. It would be good to specify what types of scholarships we're talking about instead of generalizing.

Both merit and need-based. Listen I wasn't trying to be racist or change the subject of the thread. I'm just saying that it helps, I was under the impression that was a pretty well understood topic. But then again i am not on the scholarship commitee so I'm not an expert and there is no need to get your panties in a bunch :eek:

superchris147 said:
Both merit and need-based. Listen I wasn't trying to be racist or change the subject of the thread. I'm just saying that it helps, I was under the impression that was a pretty well understood topic. But then again i am not on the scholarship commitee so I'm not an expert and there is no need to get your panties in a bunch :eek:
"Panties in a bunch" :laugh: Hey, you may have misunderstood the purpose of my post-- I was asking for specificity when talking about types of scholarships and 'assumed' selection criteria. I had no intention of sounding antagonistic. I didn't say anything about racism or changing the topic, relax. :thumbup:

starbright said:
perhaps he's a minority.
STop it with the minority arguement. That's long gone along with affirmative action.