Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedDocMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How rare is it for a med school to give a scholarship of, lets say, $20,000? Do you have to come frome a really poor family, or have done very well in undergrad, or both? What are the stats on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on whether the school is private or public. Most public med schools schools that my friends have gone to have received roughly 10Gs in aid. Privates, much LESS so.

But you always have those merit scholarships where you get mad money.

At the Cleveland Clinic med school, we receive an average of $20,000 a year with a 3G stipend for summer research...

I think it really depends though... you can contact individual schools for this type of 411.

GOOD LUCK!

I go to a state school and I will say aid in MUCH more stingy than quoted above. I have never received more than $1000/yr in scholarship, and I am by no means wealthy, nor am I too shabby in the academic department.

I am very familiar with the LOAN programs, however :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to a state school and I will say aid in MUCH more stingy than quoted above. I have never received more than $1000/yr in scholarship, and I am by no means wealthy, nor am I too shabby in the academic department.

I am very familiar with the LOAN programs, however :)

I think it really depends on whether the school is private or public. Most public med schools schools that my friends have gone to have received roughly 10Gs in aid. Privates, much LESS so.

State school here. They tried to find some money for the majority of the incoming of the class, but most awards were under $5K. A handful of the early admits got about half off of their tuition as a recruiting incentive. No full rides that I know of.

In general, society is not that forgiving of doctors having educational debt.

As for private schools, I assumed that they had more aid available (at least the better private schools); otherwise why would anyone choose to go there?

Here is a relevant question. Why would a strong applicant want to apply to a school via EDP? You would be handing over ALL of the leverage for scholarships to the school. Seems like a poor decision IMO. If you are strong enough to get in via EDP, it seems like you'd probably get some offers elsewhere to allow you to bargain some.

Here is a relevant question. Why would a strong applicant want to apply to a school via EDP? You would be handing over ALL of the leverage for scholarships to the school. Seems like a poor decision IMO. If you are strong enough to get in via EDP, it seems like you'd probably get some offers elsewhere to allow you to bargain some.

Okay, this isn't the NFL... I was in a similar position of having multiple scholarships from a few institutions and none of them cared where I go, just that I told them before May 15. I will say, however, that late in the game when I waited to make a decision, I got an additional offer from a school who had offered me 20%-- they bumped it up to 75%. But that was because it was money originally allotted to a student who chose not to attend that school and apparently I was next in line.

Parable: Wait as long as possible before deciding because those dropping out of the ranks will open up more funds if you happen to be below them on the list...

My humble opinion

Similar story here. I go to a state school where I do not believe there are many scholarships given out. For some bizarre reason they decided to award me a $2000 scholarship. I was accepted to the private medical school down the street and took my time making my decision. Just before the deadline the state school called me and told me I had been awarded an additional $8000. I have to say that their efforts were not forgotten in making my choice, so I guess the tactic worked.

I'm a non-resident at a state school, so tuition is ~$50,000 and then there's room/board/living/etc. They have a $15,000 scholarship available for the first two years to non-residents to help with the cost. It helps to bring it down to private school levels. Not sure if this counts for the topic, but thought I'd chime in. My school is in my sig.

My school is private and top ten in the country for tuition (highest) woo-hoo! Most students get 0 scholarships, there are a handful available through the school. I was lucky to get 5000 last year, but it sadly doesn't put much of a dent in the overall debt. There are scholarships through national groups like AMA, AOA, and state med societies. It's much much easier for minority students to get scholarships here.
Somehow, the tuition continues to rise every year. Where are they spending all the money?? Another good thing about being at a public school is that as a publically funded institution, the salaries of the faculty and staff must be available to the public. At a private, no dice. It's good to check and see how well the administrators and paper pushers are compensating themselves.

I know of a classmate who has a 50% scholarship for all of med school, and I think it's because she's a rather unique minority because it's through the multicultural/diversity department.