Scholl- Ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorsaldigitalbranch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a Scholl student. Feel free to ask me anything about my college.

Members don't see this ad.

What can you do at RFU/Scholl while being a student there?

1. Any sports, interesting clubs or activities? How big is Wellness Center? I heard it is small?

2. Would you go there again? Did you have other acceptances?

3. What year are you in?

I'm a first year Scholl student and will also hop in.

1. Any sports, interesting clubs or activities? How big is Wellness Center? I heard it is small?

Yes, there a bunch of intramural sports, such as a flag football, soccer, and basketball. There was even talk of trying to get a pick-up ice hockey game going recently. The Wellness Center is small by most university standards, but I rarely have problems getting machines or weights. If sports and the gym are not your things, there are hundreds of professional organizations to get involved in as well as recreational clubs (chess, dance, etc.).

I was accepted to every school I applied to and would absolutely choose Scholl again. The location can be a drawback for some that prefer an urban enviroment, but it's possible to live in Chicago and commute up.

3. What year are you in?

1st year

Reactions: 1 user

3. What year are you in?

1. There are a lot of clubs and activities. I cannot list every single one of them, but I believe that you can find more information about this on the website. About the Wellness center, yes it is small. However, I think that it has most of the equipments that you need.

2. Would I go there again? meaning, do I love Scholl? Yes, I do! I believe in the curriculum. I know that the curriculum is designed to be rigorous to prepare us for clerkships/ residency. I did not apply to all 9 schools and I applied late in the cycle. I accepted Scholl because of they gave me a scholarship and l like how the classes are recorded. (Other acceptance: Kent, NYCPM, Western)

3. second year

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
4. How much time do you study on average per day or per week? (besides in-class time)
It really depends if we have exams or not. During my first year, I studied a lot because I did not know what to expect- even if we did not have exams that week, I still studied. After a couple of months, I was able to adjust and learned to manage my time. I cannot give you a specific time allocation because it really depends on you. If you find the material easy, then you may not need a lot. On my end, everything I was learning was so new and the amount of material given to you is tremendous.
Currently, as a second year, I would say that I get about a day per month to relax. Our course load right now is pretty heavy because on top of our courses (btw podiatry classes require your attendance), we also have clinic and workshop which are sometimes scheduled the day before a big exam. Soon, we need to start allocating time to study boards.
Bottom line, I would say that there is a lot of time during the first year and I recommend all incoming students to utilize that time to develop study habits and time management.

5. So, first two years are spent in lecture halls with MD students and in labs?
We take anatomy, pathology and ecr together with the MD students. We take pharm and micro/immuno with the Pharmacy students.

Last edited:
How are the exams? I assume hard and I get the vibe that it covers a vast, vast amount of info, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is are the questions straightforward or asked in a more "tricky" fashion? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

How are the exams? I assume hard and I get the vibe that it covers a vast, vast amount of info, but I guess what I'm trying to ask is are the questions straightforward or asked in a more "tricky" fashion? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
The exams are hard if you do not study and understand the material. Also, I would not use the term ""tricky" because I do not think it is the correct term to refer to clinical questions. Clinical questions require you to think, understand and apply the theories taught to you. For me, it is fair game if you understand the topic.
Overall, the instructors are not there to "trick" you. They are there to make you think like a clinician. In your second year, some classess are graded in which 1 question is equivalent to 1 % of your grade. This I think makes it very hard because if you miss 10 questions/points (may it be a quiz, test, research paper), you cannot get an A anymore.

Reactions: 1 users

I would also add that from my experience so far (I'm only a few months in), while it's true there is a vast amount of material covered compared to most undergraduate courses, the exams tend to focus on clinically meaningful, high-level topics and generally do not require you to recall nit-picky, minute details. For example, in biochemistry you will be expected to know the reactants and products of all the major biochemical pathways (i.e. glycolysis, lipogenesis, kreb's cycle, etc) and the major regulatory points in each, but you would never be asked to draw out every reaction and every enzyme that is used for each step.

If you put the time into studying you'll be fine. Scholl also does not have block exams, which I think helps with studying and time management.

Reactions: 3 users
I would also add that from my experience so far (I'm only a few months in), while it's true there is a vast amount of material covered compared to most undergraduate courses, the exams tend to focus on clinically meaningful, high-level topics and generally do not require you to recall nit-picky, minute details. For example, in biochemistry you will be expected to know the reactants and products of all the major biochemical pathways (i.e. glycolysis, lipogenesis, kreb's cycle, etc) and the major regulatory points in each, but you would never be asked to draw out every reaction and every enzyme that is used for each step.

If you put the time into studying you'll be fine. Scholl also does not have block exams, which I think helps with studying and time management.
Thank you very much, that was very insightful! I appreciate it

talk to me about test schedule how much do you study outside of class and how tight is the schedule for p1 and p2.

talk to me about test schedule how much do you study outside of class and how tight is the schedule for p1 and p2.

I can only speak for the p1 part. We typically have one exam a week, but there are weeks with none and the occasional double test week. Obviously studying will vary based on the class and the person. A lot of people don't go to class and find it more productive to spend that time studying on their own. I personally attend class and with the exception of Friday night and Saturday spend the majority of the remaining time studying. Again, this will certainly vary a bit week to week, but that's what I'd describe as the average week.

OK, I have another question after you have been accepted will I have to provide a Criminal background check and a drug test? who pays for that? and how do I schedule it or what kind of documents do they want post admission?

1. Do you find it difficult to study for exams second year WHILE having to attend clinicals at the same time?
2. Are profs. good about answering questions/ office hours?
3. Do you need a car on campus?
4. Is a specific type of laptop required for courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I have another question after you have been accepted will I have to provide a Criminal background check and a drug test? who pays for that? and how do I schedule it or what kind of documents do they want post admission?

Yes, a criminal background check is required. I forget what company is used to run it, but it's all done online and you cover the cost. No drug test. You will need documentation of all the required immunizations, but you have well into the fall semester to get all the immunization documentation uploaded.

1. Do you find it difficult to study for exams second year WHILE having to attend clinicals at the same time?
2. Are profs. good about answering questions/ office hours?
3. Do you need a car on campus?
4. Is a specific type of laptop required for courses?

1. Not a 2nd year, but I have not heard any complaints.

2. Generally, yes. Most have open door policies and are responsive to email.

3. It would be difficult to live on campus without having a car, unless you have a roommate or classmate that doesn't mind letting you borrow theirs. There are some students who commute from the city using the train and get away with not having a car the first and second year, but a car is essential third and fourth year when away rotations begin.

4. No. There seems to be a pretty even split between Mac and PC. I have not heard of any issues with either type. Several students swear by tablets for note-taking, but that's personal preference.

Does Scholl make you get student health insurance through the school or do you keep your insurance? Kind of confused as to how that all works, thanks!

Does Scholl make you get student health insurance through the school or do you keep your insurance? Kind of confused as to how that all works, thanks!

You can keep your insurance if you want to. I believe there is a form you have to fill out stating that you will opt out of the student insurance and show proof of yours. I would contact the financial aid office for more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
can someone tell me about the class of 2022 facebook page? and regarding books and material how do you guys do it.... do you buy? or do you share?

can someone tell me about the class of 2022 facebook page? and regarding books and material how do you guys do it.... do you buy? or do you share?

- No idea on the fb page. It should be made by admin and you should get an invite at some point.
- In terms of books: PDF files of the books will generally be shared among the students and from upperclassmen. You can also buy the books yourself, but unless you need additional help, it's not really needed. (I never used them)
- for the materials: the lecture slides will all be posted online and can use your laptop/other devices to follow along. If you are a paper-kind of person, the mailroom center sells the lecture slide books for a couple of bucks.

What is it like sharing classes with MD students? I worry that it will feel less personalized to podiatry, and it's intimidating to be graded on the same curve as MD students who came out of undergrad with 3.7s and 512s.

Speaking as a 2nd year at scholl I think it is a great advantage to learn alongside other professional students. You’re going to be working in conjunction with MD’s, PharmD’s, CRNA’s, PT’s for the rest of your life, why not start now?
Also you shouldn’t have the mentality that you will be looked down upon by MD students for being a pod. If you’re becoming a DPM for the right reasons there is no reason you can’t score just as well on the same exams the MD students take. Study with the intent of becoming a competent physician and the respect will follow

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
What is it like sharing classes with MD students? I worry that it will feel less personalized to podiatry, and it's intimidating to be graded on the same curve as MD students who came out of undergrad with 3.7s and 512s.

Are you kidding me? do you actually think grades determine your superiority to others?

Hello,
Does anyone have a copy of the class schedule that they can forward me or tell me what time classes start and finish?

Hello,
Does anyone have a copy of the class schedule that they can forward me or tell me what time classes start and finish?
Class schedules are distributed via a Google Calendar. Classes start in August and go until Mid-May. You may get a few weeks off after that before summer session starts depending on your preference. On a day-to-day basis the class schedule is different every week, but all the classes first year are between 8am-4pm. Typically lectures from 8-12am and then a lab/workshop in the afternoon from 1-4pm, but not uncommon to have half days where you're out by noon.

How would you describe the environment at Scholl and the schools support system. Are there review sessions or counselors to help you with school related stuff? Also, what materials have been more useful to study for classes?

Class schedules are distributed via a Google Calendar. Classes start in August and go until Mid-May. You may get a few weeks off after that before summer session starts depending on your preference. On a day-to-day basis the class schedule is different every week, but all the classes first year are between 8am-4pm. Typically lectures from 8-12am and then a lab/workshop in the afternoon from 1-4pm, but not uncommon to have half days where you're out by noon.

Thank you!

1. How is living on campus in student housing?
2. What is the largest complaint about the school?
3. How are scholarships distributed after the first year? Typically what are the award amounts?

Hello, Regarding immunization and titers, does SCHOLL provide means of obtaining these blood tests at an affordable cost? how did you guys do this?

Hello, Regarding immunization and titers, does SCHOLL provide means of obtaining these blood tests at an affordable cost? how did you guys do this?
I used a combination of walk-in/minute clinics for the TB, Flu, etc. and lab testing companies like AccesaLabs for the titers. If you have decent insurance most of these should be covered with little out-of-pocket expense. However, the clinic at Scholl will provide you with the means of getting all the necessary immunizations and titers once you start. You may just get an eye-roll for not having them done :eyebrow:

What are the 3rd year rotations like? Do you feel that you're getting good patient exposure? Are you seeing enough patients? Are you being exposed to a diverse patient population etc. I've just been told that the clinical aspect leans towards the city schools, being that scholl is in north Chicago and not directly in the city and that sharing patients with other students is more common.